Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Coconut Liqueur

Pages: 1 15 replies

K

Hey everyone,

Found a cool thing at the liquor store the other day. It's coconut liqueur in a REAL coconut. It's a coconut made into a decanter with netting around it and a cork stopper top. VERY cool looking. I think from Dominican Republic. Very good liqueur in it too. Check it out, only 15 bucks.

Aloha!

Kentiki

T

What's the brand name? That way i can ask for it at the pop shop.

~ tikigreg

F

KenTiki,
I must have that for my modest little tiki bar. Where did you get it? Who makes it?
Thanks!

K

I am almost certain it is "Coco Lico" brand, whatever that is. I'll check at home, and if I'm wrong, I'll post the correct name. It's definitely worth having. The little enclosure says (in REALLY broken English) that when empty, the coconut should be broken open so you can enjoy the liqueur-infused coconut meat. No arguments here.

Maybe we need a liquor and bartending forum...

Has anybody seen and tasted the new Voodoo rum from the folks who brought us RedRum? It comes in a smaller coffin-shaped bottle with a TIKI on it! The liqour store guy says he thinks it probably tastes a lot like Capt. Morgan, but he's an OR state liquor agentand I don't think those guys are allowed to drink. Just curious if it's worth more than just the cool bottle...

K

I really dig redrum, it's a good product, so i'd try that voodoo rum if i could get it.
Interesting factoid: In the enlightened state of Aladamnbama, all liquor is first purchased by the Government and shipped to a state warehouse in Montgomery. It is then shipped out to regional Alabama Beverage Commission stores, where private citizens, private liquor stores, and private establishments can purchase it.
Consequently it takes forever for anything new to get here. And selection is limited anyway.
Consequently, I shop in Georgia.

Kahukini,

Interesting detail about 'Bama's liquor process. Here, we don't have ANY privately owned liquor stores. They're all run by the state. Minimal decor allowed. Most are like a small, ugly post office. They only recently allowed them to open on Sundays. I miss California where you could buy liquor wherever you wanted. Hop down to Toys R Us for a GI Joe and a fifth of Jamesons...

S

Information on Voodoo Spiced Rum:

http://www.redrum.com/voodoo/voodoo.htm

You can actually order it online (not sure if anyone's tried this...but feedback would be helpful)

http://www.samswine.com/searches/SpiritSearchResults.asp?USearch=voodoo

[ Edited by: SoBeTiki on 2002-06-10 18:03 ]

I like Redrum a lot. It is suffused with a coconutty combo o' tropical flavors AND it is like 80 proof. Malibu rum and other flavored rums of that ilk are usually only about 40 proof, the wimps.

RE Voodoo Spiced Rum - I asked the company if they plan on offering any Voodoo related merchandise in the near future. I'll post their reply when it comes in.

Floratina, the website for Redrum sez it's 70 proof. I don't know either way, just wondering if they've changed it, like they did to Jack Daniel's a decade or so ago...

I knew it was a lot stronger than many other coconut flavored rums, but wasn't sure so I put "like" 80 proof ("like" a valley girl!). Thanks for checking that out. I should not have been so lazy and researched it before I posted! But it is better than those other wimpy rums.

Floratina,

Hope you don't think I was checking your facts on that proof issue - I just happened to notice it when I went to look at the RedRum site and wondered if it was the same deal as that whole Jack Daniels fiasco awhile back... Yes, RedRum is definitely stronger than Malibu and the like, and tasty as well! I'm gonna work up some drinks with the new Voodoo rum - I'll let you know how it goes.

I didn't think that at all! I figured it was just an FYI :)

V

My favorite cocnut liqueur is called : "rêve de l'île Coco" wich means Dream of Coco island and the brand name is "Tahitian Tikis" !!!
This is godamn good, a coconut cream with vanilla and alcohol. Very creamy and perfect for pina coladas.

They only recently allowed them to open on Sundays.

You still can't by wine or liquer in New York on Sunday, only beer.

I had a bottle of Cruisan Pineapple Rum which was so awesome it didn't last a week. Wish I could find more of it.

Pages: 1 15 replies