Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

BILL TAPIA, 101 years young! Two back-to-back concerts!!!

Pages: 1 8 replies

BILL TAPIA
Saturday, February 28, 2009
TWO SHOWS! 6:00pm & 8:30pm | $35.00 pre-sale / $40 door
At the Grand Annex: 434 W. Sixth St, San Pedro, CA 90731

Buy Tickets Early - These shows will sell out!
Tickets & Info available at: http://www.panioloproductions.com/
Event Hotline: (323)547-3482

HAPPY 101st BIRTHDAY BILL...
San Pedro will once again celebrate the longevity and legend of Bill Tapia who, at 101, is the world's oldest performing musician! Tapia turned 101 January 1st of this year, and wants to share his good fortune with all of his friends and fans.

A virtuoso musician and thoroughly engaging entertainer on stage, Tapia has been delighting audiences with his jazz chops and sharp wit over the last nine decades. Chances are slim to none you'll find another entertainer anywhere in the world who can introduce a song as "something I learned during World War I" and then jump into his unique version of "Stars and Stripes Forever" which he came up with in 1918 at the age of ten...

Join Paniolo Productions and the Grand Vision Foundation on Saturday, February 28 for two inspiring back-to-back concerts. Tapia will perform with a few of LA's top jazz musicians and sing to beautiful Hawaiian dancers.

"As delightful as it is surprising... Tapia's 90-year career includes jams with long-gone pioneers of American music, including Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday and Fats Waller. ...Tapia takes his rightful place alongside these greats. He retains a sharp improvisational skill and capable instrumental ability..." BILLBOARD MAGAZINE

TWO SHOWS! These will sell out, so buy early!

Tickets & Info available at: http://www.panioloproductions.com/
Event Hotline: (323)547-3482

SoccerTiki and I are going to the 8:30 show. If anyone else is going let us know :) I heard that The Smokin Menehunes will be playing with Bill Tapia too that night.

TM

Absolutely! The Smoking Menehunes will be performing, as will Kevin's daughter Samantha (singing a song with Bill). On a side note, see Ms. HB thread in bildge!

thought i'd share this with you...about 6 years ago the martini kings were headed to a private party in one of the beach towns, maybe manhattan, i can't recall for sure,
i was early for my gig and had a good hour to kill so i thought i would get a lil bite to kill time. i walk into a health food store (not my favorite food) and noticed they had a counter in the back and some tables.
i ordered some grub and noticed a two fellows setting up to play some music.
when the music started i almost choked on my sprouts! here was BILL playing his ukulele incredibly and singing songs to about 10 people. i feel like an idiot for not knowing about bill that night.i know everything about him now. when i left the restaurant i told everyone i had just stumbled across a true goldmine. incredible uke and vocal songs that left me speechless.what a treat to see such a great talented guy!!! happy birthday bill and hope you live till your 202.
tony
martini kings

TM

Cool story!

I am wondering if the other guy that was with Bill was Pat, the singer for my other band, the Smoking Menehunes. Pat and Bill go everywhere together. Surfing, whorehouses, L and L BBQ...everywhere!!

Goldstar Tickets for Bill Tapia!!! 50% off!
There are a limited amount of discounted tickets on Goldstar for Bill Tapia's show this Saturday, February 28th at the Grand Annex in San Pedro, CA! Tickets are regularly $35 in advance, but if you sign-up with Goldstar you can get them for $17.50!! WOW!! We didn't think these would be available, but they are! Goldstar membership is free, visit: http://www.goldstar.com

For more event information: http://www.panioloproductions.com or (323)547-3482

Bill Tapia's Jazz band is featuring:
Jennifer Leitham (upright bass), Loyal McAvoy (guitar) &
Abe Lagrimas (drums)

Other special guests:
Polynesian Paradise Dancers (both shows)
The Smokin’ Menehunes (8:30 show only)

I heard trough the coconut wire that The Smokin Menehunes will be playing the 8:30 show only not the 6:00 show.

TM

That was a blast! Abe Lagrimas (from Waitiki) on drums, and Jennifer Leitham (from the Mel Torme orchestra) on bass.....wow!

WooHoo! What a great night. Everyime I see Bill Tapia play he keeps getting younger and younger. It was great to see The Smokin Menehunes too :)

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2009-03-01 14:46 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies