Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Private Message icon !?/ Tiki Video

Pages: 1 7 replies

I never understood WHEN one gets to see the private message thingy blinking, it seems to be very sporadic, in between checking posts, and a matter of luck that one catches it.
Is there any way to improve on that? It is frustrating, I just now noticed a message that seems to have been up there for a WEEK!:

From
TheTikiGuy
Posted: 2003-03-18 23:55   

Hey Sven. I am excited about attending the Tropics event again this year. I was wondering if you will have any copies of your video for sale. I have an ever expanding collection and what do ya know....do not have your wonderful video.
Any chance of purchasing a copy?

So on this route, here is my reply:
Unfortunately I have to go where the job pulls me, and I won't be at the Tiki Oasis in person this year, just my slide show. But you can still mail order the video from me (for the next two weeks only!), see instructions below:

This delightful journey into Tikiland consists of two videos produced before THE BOOK OF TIKI was published. But since my research had a major influence on the making of them, they visually complement the book nicely.
Expeditions to sites that are now gone, like THE TIKIS and the Playa Del Rey Polynesian Village Apartments, Interviews, and archival footage of people and places mentioned in the book allow the urban archeologist to revisit and discover the sites and sounds of Polynesia Americana.

PAYMENT TERMS: Mail Order Only!
For simplicity, it's 20.- dollars. DO send cash! A 20.- bill is easy to hide in an envelope (checks will do in a pinch). Mail to:

Sven Kirsten
2300 Hidalgo Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90039

This video is made only for Tiki Centralites and personal sale by me. Any profiteering with it on e-bay will result in loss of mana!

(...and I am planning to put another one up on e-bay soon, though it will be unlikely for it to sore to similar heights)

Sven, the reason you see the Private Messages Icon blinking sporadically is because you have to be logged in to get it. If you're like me, you probably get on TC, check out the discussions, and if there's nothing relevant to post about you simply leave. As such, since you need didn't post anything, you in effect never logged in. To post however, you must log in and as such, see the Private Message Icon blinking after you place your post.

I get no Private Messages

no love for the monkey

Hey Sven,

Sorry about the Private Messages icon. Like PolyPop says, you need to log in. You don't need to log in to read messages, so you're not going to see the icon until you either Log in or Post a reply (which then logs you in).

When we first got the new Tiki Central (about a year ago, congrats to us all!) There was not flashing Icon at all -- I had to add that into the bulletin board code, so it's now a major improvement.

I've looked into having Private Messages email users to let them know they have them. Hmmm.

Got lots to do (MM I have not forgotten my promise to ya) and not a lot of time to do it, but I'll check it out!

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-27 03:16 ]

Hanford, are you seriously just a computer genius or what? Apart from the technical side, even the aesthetic design of this site gets me every time. I am very impressed by the use of the typography and the color scheme. Good work.

Hanford,
Is there a way to stay logged on via cookies or some such? Might help with the Private Message thing.

Biotron:

There's no way right now. I'd have to program that in, or upgrade us to the new PHPBB board. There's pros and cons to both. It's on my to-do list :wink: ...

*On 2003-03-27 11:54, Luckydesigns wrote:*Hanford, are you seriously just a computer genius or what? Apart from the technical side, even the aesthetic design of this site gets me every time. I am very impressed by the use of the typography and the color scheme. Good work.

Thanks Spike. Most of Tikiroom.com has been slapped together pretty hasitly, so I'm glad you like the design.

Most people don't know that I have my own game company over at http://www.monolux.com and that I designed the game, did all the graphics, and programmed it myself. :D

~Hanford

C

Bigbro/Sven
Heads up: I mailed you a check and info for the tape on Monday.

Pages: 1 7 replies