Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TikiLizards Carves. Anyone Play the Facebook Tiki game?

Pages: 1 40 replies

I finally decided, after 2.5yrs on Tiki Central, to post one of my carvings. It's a Moai that stands 11 inches and hand carved from drak walnut. The hard wood walnut was a bear to carve and sand but it was worth the work and dislocated wrist. Hope you enjoy it.

Just a block of wood and the plans for the Moai.

Starting to take shape.

Finally finished. Finish is a clear semi-gloss poly.

A gecko just for fun and great for sitting on top of my other tiki's heads.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ Edited by: tikilizard 2010-01-07 18:21 ]

That moai is awesome. Beautiful finish and great detail. I dig it.

T

fantastic! I love it and the progress shots, beautiful scott aka tikbad

That is tits Lizard! First carving?.........come on.

T

Way cool. That moai would make kickin' decanter, imo.

BD

niiiiice moai. beautiful finish. couldn't pick a harder wood could you. keep em coming.

bd

B

We've waited for your thread and here it is ! The result's pretty cool.
Fabulous moai, dude.

Benjamin.

Great work on both pieces. Your finish is amazing

Thank you all for such great compliments! It wasn't my first carving just the first one posted here on TC. I have got to tell you all that I have learned a lot through all the topics and from the great TC carvers. I'll post more as I get them done. Thanks again.

B

TikiLizard, Excellent Moai and Awesome Gecko, both super carves for a beginner or how ever how many you have carved. Definitely don't resemble any "Early" Carves. I'm Glad you finally decided to post some shots of your work, are there more that you have?

S

Nice clean lines and a great piece of wood there.

Quick question for the chisel mallet carvers. What sized mallet do you all use? I have a Maple 8oz and I have beaten it to death. Thanks

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 6, 2009 6:34 PM

Gman uses an 18.

L
laojia posted on Thu, May 7, 2009 4:45 AM

I use three mallet

In brass, 35 Oz, I like for slow and precise beating.

In ash tree, 8 Oz, turned by my father, a little light.

In Nylon head, 14 Oz, perfect for hard chopping, my mostly use.

J.

I have 3. 12 oz, 18 oz, and a home made job. To save your wrist get urethane, they work.

BT

On 2009-05-07 09:46, tikimecula wrote:
To save your wrist get urethane, they work.

And they grip! they grip? yeah, they grip.

lol.

+10 to anyone who gets that ref.

Okay, here is a really dumb question but I just can't remember the name of the Palm Tree that is most commonly used to make tiki's?? Is it a Queen Anne Palm, King palm?? Thanks.

H
Heath posted on Sat, May 16, 2009 6:26 PM

For me personally, it's the Mexican Fan Palm, also called the Washington Palm.
Here's a link.

Thanks Heath.
Anyone else? Really could use some help with that name.

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2009-05-16 23:47 ]

A couple of just for fun tiki's. Decided to try a few new things and different body positions. The first one is made from Spalted Ash. Not fun to carve through but a nice challenge with the little holes showing up where you don't expect them. Has little holes through out that give it some character and nice black lines. Finished with clear poly semi-gloss. The fin on the top is for my wife and Jimmy Buffett, fins to the right, fins to the left. Turtle in relief on the back of the head piece.

Second tiki to come in a few.

Basswood Ocean deity, Solomon Island

New Basswood Ocean deity almost finished.

Awesome stuff tikilizard,the soloman island is way kool.
bass wood looks like it would be fantastic wood to carve,
I really dig the way you carved the fangs.Cheers Watango

Ps,I just realised Im now a tiki socialite!!RAD

Wow! Crazy detail! I love the big ol' toes on these guys.

beautiful detail! great work.

bd

B

Excellent stuff from a Lizard! :o really these guys are Off the board and Heavy Heavy on the "How'd you DO That" catagory. Mn you really found your confidence here and Earned a Ton of respect. Cool Stuff.

That Basswood is fun stuff. You can get a lot of detail and it takes stain really nicely. MORE!

Thank you all for your praise. Watango basswood is probably the easiest to carve. Thin grain, resists splintering and holds small detail. The only thing you don't get with basswood is color of any kind. Surfintiki, Big daddy, Benzart, AlohaStation, Watango thank you for the kind words. Coming from you guys it means a lot! Happy carving!

L

WOW! Excellent carving Tikilizard! How did I miss this topic! this ocean deity (is what has a name?) is full of nicely detail, greatly executed! I like so much the dorsal spine, she look very smooth and sharpen. Here is a lengthy process, you know how much time did you spent on it?

J.

Thought I would add some progress shots. Before the dorsal spine, crown and scales where cut in. Webbed toes and fingers are just rough outlined as well.
LLao Jia I have been working off and on for a few months. A total of about two weeks worth of 8 hour days. I am a slow carver. The name of the one deity is Ngorieru and the other is just referred to as a Marine deity. Both from the Solomon islands.

Lizard,basswood sounds rad, i mainly carve with hardwoods but would luv to get my hands on some fan palm
Cheers Watango

Tikilizard, your tikis are pretty awesome. The style is so intricate, it reminds me in some small way of Thai carving. Completely different look, though. Slow is not a bad thing!

Watango, ask your local tree services what you are looking for.
Aaron, thank you for the compliments. I'll have to look up some Thai carvings.
Thanks again all. More pic's coming soon with stain.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 10:45 AM

You've got some mad skills.

Lizard,ride'n to work the other day I stumbled upon some tree loppers so I've got a new
source of kool wood.Cheers Watango

B

Even though the bass wood id Easily carved, you Still need skill to pull off the type carvings your doing Lizard. To get that tight deep detail still takes extra skill. Congrats!

Anyone else play this new game on facebook? It's called Tikifarm. Fun just to play around with.
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=334201605612

T

Funny. I hadn't seen that. I'm not much of a game player but pretty cool to see that. Do they let you put little tikis everywhere?

Lol.....I'll suggest it to the developer.

tikilizard!!! was just lookin trgh ur thread!! wow ur carvin is of the hook!! luvin thi style!! and i will have too check out tiki farm!!! hey it says tiki im there!!! lol! cheerz!!

T

WOW!! lizard very cleannnnnnn

Pages: 1 40 replies