Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

How To Build A Lava - Clamshell Fountain In One Day

Pages: 1 17 replies

B

This was the last area of the yard that needed to be finished. Mrs. Fury requested a trickling lava fountain. A little late posting this as it was completed in the summer.

I wanted to make it 5' high, but didn't want to wait to build a block wall with rebar etc. I had already installed a GFCI outlet and had some stacking blocks and lava rock left over. The fiberglass shells were then installed and rocks locked them in place

Installed a liner that is pitched toward the plastic basin where the pump will go.

We set the blocks in morter and as the wall got taller, stacked a second wall behind it for stability.

Covered it with morter and added charcoal grout for the areas that would show through the lava rocks that were just buttered on with the same morter mixture.

Add plants, lights, and water.

I posted this pic a while ago.

It took about 6 1/2 hours to do (3 people) not including landscaping. The concrete grout locked everything in. I pushed on it pretty hard the next day and it did not budge. I was glad we were able to utilize some of our construction leftovers.

M

you two are awesome... Your backyard is incredible as is your home and your ability to be handy and creative in all mediums is fantastic.

I need my Rincon Room Fix....

BB

You did a great job on this Bongofury!

When you enter your backyard it’s one of the first things you see that let’s you know you’ve just entered an amazing place.

Beautiful! Where do you get the fiberglas clamshells?

TD

On 2009-02-05 06:55, MadDogMike wrote:

i do not think that those are fiberglass. great job,love it.
i may just steal the concept/design.

The fountain is amazing, Ron. Thanks for sharing the step by step.

I'd love to see you post some more pictures of The Case, please. :wink:

really beautiful!

Amy

H

On 2009-02-05 07:24, TIKI DAVID wrote:

On 2009-02-05 06:55, MadDogMike wrote:

i do not think that those are fiberglass. great job,love it.
i may just steal the concept/design.

According to what bongofury posted above, they are fiberglass. However, they sure do look real.

On 2009-02-04 20:57, bongofury wrote:
... The fiberglass shells were then installed and rocks locked them in place...

TD

opps .... missed that.

L

Wow that came out so nice! Where did you find the shells? Inquiring minds want to know :)

B

Thanks everyone! I had some real clams, but they were pretty heavy and the lava wall is almost vertical. The fiberglass shells came from http://www.zgallerie.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=clam+shell the smaller shell sizes were on close out at Kohl's for 29.95. They say not to use outdoors. After a while the yellowish coating on the inside has started to flake off, leaving a mother of pearl color underneath that looks fine.

very kool dude .

Awesome Bongo!

I've got one coming up in the near future.

Queen K's pad.

RH

Very fast. Very cool. Good work. Love the night shot!

GT

Awesome Work! Very Cool! Cheers! Gogo

H

What size pump(GPH)did you settle on? I bet a swamp cooler pump would be sufficient to move the trickled water.

T

SWEET !

Kirby, we need to do this at the Rumpus Room !

GORGEOUS job!

Me WANT!!!!!

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers & Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

Pages: 1 17 replies