Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My First Tiki-Style Carvings

Pages: 1 14 replies

R

[ Edited by: rbloch66 2017-08-23 21:00 ]

Great carving and i do consider that first guy a success. Sand him and give him a stain and i bet he looks killer. Keep em comming

BD

nice job for the first time. the small guy, it's a success and if it holds true to form, you'll be your biggest critic. as for the earlobes, do what you feel is best. great start and keep carving.

bd

NICE! Off to a phenomenal start. As per standard, send your 1st one over to me for close inspection! :D
Very nice indeed. I see a lot of cool carves in your future!

R

[ Edited by: rbloch66 2017-08-23 21:00 ]

Aloha rbloch66,

Was this the pattern?

If so, you've captured it well! I never did complete my own version of the elusive Moai-Ku. It's been collecting dust in my shed since the last time I attended a San Diego Chop-Chop and took a wood chip to the eye while using the Lancelot (idiotically) without eye protection. Cool to see someone getting it done!

Excellent work, my friend. Carry on!!

A-A

R

Yup, that's the one.... and Thank You. It was a lot of fun.

Sorry about your mishap. It's stories like that that help me find contentment with my carving knife and a chunk of basswood. I'm a little perplexed as to how I'd go about a larger one with my little knife,..... perhaps I'll venture out in the future to power tools. I do have some larger chisels that I need to blow the dust off of and hone up.

Thank you for the encouragement. It's greatly appreciated.

R

On 2009-02-05 09:10, surfintiki wrote:
NICE! Off to a phenomenal start. As per standard, send your 1st one over to me for close inspection! :D
Very nice indeed. I see a lot of cool carves in your future!

Sorry my friend.. this one's earmarked to be hung from a piece of leather swinging from my rear view mirror. =)

[ Edited by: rbloch66 2009-02-07 20:59 ]

Nice carves! Bass wood really does look better with stain. Keep them comin!

S

Great stuff they are so deep and full figured fellas.

R

There is one thing I'm confused about..... where is the eye represented in the following pic.
Is it the deep groove #1 or is it the # 2 area ??
I'm unsure if the #2 area might actually be the cheek. Please help!!

[ Edited by: rbloch66 2009-02-06 16:24 ]

BD

definately number 1. that seems to be the natural place for eyes. area number 2 is indeed a cheek. are you going to inlay eyes or did you just need to know where to look at him after a few mai tai's?

bd

R

I'm not sure if I'm going to inlay eyes...... just wanted to make sure I get the basic facial structure somewhat accurate.

Not a drinker unfortunately :wink:

Thanks for the info.

B

Eye vote for #1 also, But looking at your piece, the top part of the cheek bone Could be made into a large eye and it would be acceptable, but the Proper Moai's eye would be # 1
Excellent job on that guy And the other one too. For your first carves, they are WAY out front of where you Should be in the skills level. Keep yp the carving, I think you are a natural.

R

Thank you so very much..... I appreciate the tips and the encouragement!! :)

Pages: 1 14 replies