Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

spunk

Pages: 1 14 replies

... was recently in copenhagen. no tikis but, plenty of (ahem) spunk!

Eeugh...this reminds me of a dream I had, in which I was decorating a cake with tiki-shaped gummies that were labelled "Sex Flavored". (No, I didn't taste any of them.)

I thought you could get away with saying spunk over in the States? Didn't they say it in the A-Team?

The word which really cracks me up is 'fanny'. In the US, it's an innocuous way of describing your 'ass' or 'arse' as we say over here. In the UK, a 'fanny' is very much a female part of the anatomy.

There was a Canadian 'outdoor gear' catalogue that I looked through a few years back, and they kept on describing 'Fanny Packs' in ways such as, 'This fanny is big enough to carry a spare T-shirt, a packed lunch, and a small thermos'.

Ah, schoolboy humour (humor).

Trader Woody

And considering it's more practical and safer to wear a fanny pack to the front, the Brit translation is more accurate (or as a crass friend of mine called them, p**s packs).

p**s packs? Would work great if you had a catheter bag.... strange thing is, I thought that was amusing, but now that I think about it, is actually pretty common.

I can think of far more amusing things in person... need better material.

On 2003-03-26 15:50, Trader Woody wrote:

The word which really cracks me up is 'fanny'. In the US, it's an innocuous way of describing your 'ass' or 'arse' as we say over here. In the UK, a 'fanny' is very much a female part of the anatomy.

the one that you brits say that gets me is "front bottom". why, i'm giggling/smirking as i type this reply!

On 2003-03-27 02:41, Tiki Chris wrote:
the one that you brits say that gets me is "front bottom". why, i'm giggling/smirking as i type this reply!

My favorite is "spotted dick." :lol:

--cyn

cynfulcynner wrote:
My favorite is "spotted dick." :lol:
--cyn

CYN!
Every male probably cringed at that line....definitely something I don't want to have!
Spot-freeCaddyDaddy

Tikimonkey~

I think you put in the wrong insinuated vowel...think "meow".

You haven't lived until you've gobbled up 'spotted dick' with custard. Trust me on this. In fact when I see Tiki Chris in a week or so, I'm going to force him to eat spotted dick, just so he can tell all you folks over in the States what a treat it really is.

Trader Woody

On 2003-03-27 13:24, Trader Woody wrote:
In fact when I see Tiki Chris in a week or so, I'm going to force him to eat spotted dick...

Trader Woody

maybe we can share a fag afterwards.

actually, i've had spotted dick a couple of times & agree that it is yummy stuff! i'm guessing you probably know where to get some of the really good variety, though.

two interesting comments about spotted dick:

1. don't know if they still do it, but sainsbury's (mega-grocery store here in the u.k.) was calling it "spotted richard".

2. emi & i went out to a pretty nice restaurant here in london w/ some other americans. the place is actually known for their spotted dick. the other people couldn't even SAY it to the waiter. one guy that was w/ us, called it "spotted duck" just to avoid having to say "dick". it was hilarious! the others refused to order it! emi & i shared one - delish!

later,
chris

Ok, Ok, I know I'm going to get it in the end(yes, pun intended).

What the hec is spotted dick?

What does spotted dick look like?

Was the inventor/creator/chef intentionally trying to make this "dish?" good only with custard and then decided to call it "spotted dick" just to get a reaction from people (like me)?

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-03-27 17:00 ]

This reminds me that back in the 70's my mother used to make a dessert called, (it gets worse!) "Frothy Dick". This was a mixture of jello and some sweet milky stuff (no giggling at at the back...) whipped up so it was frothy, and then set cold.

I know this sounds like something I've just made up, but it's true, though perhaps it's something my mum just made up...who knows?

Trader Woody

Nope it exists, we called it Jelly-fluff the sweet cream is condensed milk.

Faggots now there is a dish to get you in trouble!

Pages: 1 14 replies