Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Man On Moai

Pages: 1 1 replies

W

Phillipe Petit, the man who walked a high-wire between the World Trade Center buildings in 1974 and who is the subject of the Academy Award nominated documentary feature Man On Wire, was on NPR's quiz show Wait Wait Don't Tell Me this week.

Petit was asked about plans he'd had to walk across the Grand Canyon and replied:

"The project is still alive but it's not alive as much as another project...To put my wire on Easter Island and attach maybe the cable or the rope around the belly of the moai...And have the Rapa Nui people who inhabit the island be part of the performance with their celebration and dance and songs and music. That would be a very beautiful show to present to the world. Of course what I need is a guardian angel of the arts who will sign the right check and I am not the only artist waiting for that."

Petit mentioned the project in a January interview with Outside Online:

"Now I desire a project on Easter Island. I could put my rope around the belly of 40 or 50 moai that are lined up by the sea and tie the other end to a nearby mountain. Everybody on the island is waiting for me. They have heard of my dream."

Petit must not be all that petite if he needs to anchor to "40 or 50 moai". Good Gawd, how much does the man weight?!

Pages: 1 1 replies