Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Fairfax Tiki Bar Fire

Pages: 1 7 replies

That's All I know, the Tiki Bar in Fairfax CA had a fire the other night.

T

It was at 19 Broadway which houses the Bamboo Bar.

UB
M

The fire started in the Tiki Bar and spread upstairs to the apartment above. 19 Broadway will reopen soon, but the Tiki Bar is totally gutted from what I could see driving by last night.

My heart goes out to Vise Grip, who really worked his tail off to do something special for Fairfax that was born out of a great love of Tiki. It was a great local bar, and Vise Grip (and 19 Broadway owner Gary) have both been wonderful hosts for all of us on the Tiki Crawl when we've made pilgrimages up north in past years. 19 Broadway is a great place to see a show, and I'm glad it's going to be OK, but I know I'll miss the Tiki.

So please raise a glass tonight to Vise Grip and his mighty Bamboo Bar.

Picture from the local newspaper after Tiki Crawl V:

O
Otto posted on Sat, Feb 14, 2009 9:46 PM

http://www.marinij.com/ci_11658470?source=most_viewed

Happened a week ago but I didn't see it here so I'm posting it

A preliminary indication was that it started in a gas fireplace in the club's ground-floor Tiki Lounge.

Garry Graham, co-owner of 19 Broadway, said Sunday afternoon that he would have lost his whole building had the fire had raged for a few more minutes.

The name of the band playing at 19 Broadway was Hillside Fire, and the next band up was Mama's Cookin'.

"It's not funny, but it is since nobody got hurt," Chris McCarthy, the club's manager, said Sunday morning.

Graham said 19 Broadway has been open every day since Oct. 17, 1979, and the staff intends to open the main bar and music stage Tuesday or Wednesday after staying closed for clean-up chores Monday.

"There is significant damage and it will take months to fix, but we will rebuild," he said. "Something good comes out of everything. The support we got today was overwhelming.

" ... I was just telling some friends that we haven't closed a single day for 30 years. That'll teach me to brag."

His humour is priceless, especially the the face of difficulty like this. Kudos, my man.

Bummer, sorry to hear it. Wish I could see some photos of the place before it burned. Maybe Bamboo Ben can help with the rebuild? Just a thought...

Vice Grip!!? God, I haven't heard that name in YEARS!! I remember that guy and his "Embassadors of Swing". Cool shit, right there.

Pages: 1 7 replies