Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

New York (mostly vintage) bars and restaurants

Pages: 1 11 replies

I think it is time for the New York version to be added to the list of others (San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles)This is how I usually list them;
Here are some of my favorite places. Many have been in business for a while. best to call to make sure they are still in business. I like the way I classified them with (B)bar OR (R)restaurant etc.

Keens Steakhouse (since 1885)B/R 72 West 36 Street 212-947-3636
http://www.keens.com m-f 11:45 AM - 10:30 PM Sat 5 PM - 10:30 PM Sun 5 PM - 9 PM

And instead of adding more posts, if you could go back to your original and add your additions by editing you post. That way, one could print up this thread when they travel. Thanks!

T

Keens is my favorite old place that seems completely original. There are so many places in New York that have an old feel but you can tell they were remodeled or built recently in a style attempting to look old.

I liked Bemelmans in the Carlyle Hotel for the artwork by Ludwig Bemelman, who illustrated the Madeline books. But the cocktails were too expensive and not that interesting (I ended up just having a Manhattan), the service was stuffy, and the decor was updated in 2002.

Bemelmans Bar, Carlyle Hotel, 35 East 76th Street, New York, NY 10021, T: 212.744.1600
Hours: 12:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
Madeline's Tea: Saturday; two seatings available at 10:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
Entertainment: Sunday to Saturday; 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
http://thecarlyle.com/dine4.cfm

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-02-11 13:35 ]

T
M

BUMP

G

This may not do much for future readers of this thread, but I'd suggest catching a recent episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations (Travel Channel). The episode is entitled "Disappearing Manhattan" and first aired about a week or so ago.

Here's a quote from Anthony Bourdain's blog:

Most -- if not all -- of the places featured on this episode are dinosaurs, among the last of mostly extinct herds who, once long ago, ruled New York's concrete jungle. But these remaining eateries, though perhaps no longer "culturally relevant," and certainly not "hip" -- and about as far from "trendy" or "hot" as anything could be, are in fact what make New York special.

Read the full blog post here.

And here's a list of the old places he visited (and highly recommends) along with a quote from the show:

Manganaro’s (with Michael Lomonaco of Porter House)
"Preserves that wonderful time of hope, boundless optimism, and completely unfashionable old-school red-sauce Italian-American in a completely non-ironic, handmade, homemade old-school way."

Keens (with Josh Ozersky)
"You really can’t do it any better or more authentic than Keens, a place that goes right back to the old-school all-male world of beefsteak parties, political power built around beef, and bloody aprons and smoke-filled rooms."

Russ & Daughters (with Joel Rose)
"It’s all about the lox, and about the original product: herring. Herring and cream sauce. It’s all about sweet and sour salty goodness. Who invented this combination [bagel, cream cheese, and lox]? There should be a giant statue of them at the door."

Katz’s (with Joel Rose)
"You only need to walk over to the counter, take a long lingering look at that heap of steaming pastrami, corned beef and brisket, take a deep breath, and you’ll remember again what it means to be alive, to be proud to be a New Yorker … Is it morally okay to eat a pastrami sandwich with a fork? No. It should be kind of squirting out the side."

Eisenberg’s Sandwich Shop (with Famous Fat Dave)
"Continuous service of these fine [lime rickeys and egg creams] for 70 years, sublime tuna salad on white, and prices that are pretty much along 1985 lines. But most important, this is not some lame-o Johnny Rockets recreation, this is the real thing."

Schaller & Weber and Heidelberg (with Famous Fat Dave)
"Schweinshaxe, the crispy and terrifyingly proportioned pork shank. Tender, delicious, falling off the freaking bone. Even the acoustics are a joy. Irony sucks; this is just good."

Hop Kee (with Chris Cheung of China 1)
"They still got the good old stuff at this place — the gooey faux Cantonese I can’t help but be sentimental about."

Le Veau D’or (with Michael Batterby of Food Arts)
"The menu is a journey through the past through dishes that were old even when I was a kid. The owner takes the reservations, hangs your coat, pours your drink, takes your order, and carves tableside. You gotta love this."

Sophie’s (with Nick Tosches)
"I don’t want no wide screens, high-fiving white guys, no fauxhawks or gel heads or hot chicks with douchebags. I don’t want anything on the jukebox that will distract an old gentleman such as myself from drinking the heart right out of the afternoon if I should choose to do so … Where can a guy get a drink when the last gin mill closes down, when there’s nothing less but the fern bar or the lounge, when the barkeep has been replaced by the mixologist?"

EDIT: PS - Sorry for not following your pre-defined format for listings. Maybe someone else can fill in the phone numbers and addresses and such.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2009-03-03 10:04 ]

T

I love Bourdain!

Let me make this clear: "Old" does not necessarily mean "good." Just cause it's a "New York institution" doesn't mean you want to eat there. If it did, New Yorkers might actually eat at Tavern On The Green -- and Luchows would still be open.

Peter Luger? You can have it.

Bern's in Tampa rules over Peter Luger's anyway. Just ask Pablus.

G

On 2009-03-04 11:11, thejab wrote:
Bern's in Tampa rules over Peter Luger's anyway. Just ask Pablus.

Or ask Jeff Berry.

Dinner Theater: Uncorking the Past in Bern's Steakhouse

Apologies for the derail.

M

Any more places?

I took ideas from this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27734&forum=4&hilite=new%20york%20classic

But if anyone has any more to add, I'd love to see them. Making a return trip in less than 2 weeks and very much looking forward to it!

TK

Planning a trip to New York in Oct. (2011) any updates to this thread? Any suggestions appreciated! :)

Well, not trying to start a fight here but, I can't find any tiki content in this thread. It appears there are many long time posters who believe the site needs to be better policed to protect it from subjects "not tiki" and from multiple posts on the same subject. Though there is interesting information here and I have found much value in most of mrsmileys posts, shouldn't this be moved to beyond tiki? I know mrsmiley joined in 2002 and has 2980 posts but this doesn't belong here and I believe it wouldn't be here if he only had one to three posts.

much aloha and no ill will to mrsmiley, tikicoma

H

On 2011-09-20 22:30, tikicoma wrote:
Well, not trying to start a fight here but, I can't find any tiki content in this thread. It appears there are many long time posters who believe the site needs to be better policed to protect it from subjects "not tiki" and from multiple posts on the same subject. Though there is interesting information here and I have found much value in most of mrsmileys posts, shouldn't this be moved to beyond tiki? I know mrsmiley joined in 2002 and has 2980 posts but this doesn't belong here and I believe it wouldn't be here if he only had one to three posts.

much aloha and no ill will to mrsmiley, tikicoma

Yeah, we moderators only move posts around if they were posted by a newbie! :)

U-Modded to Beyond..

Pages: 1 11 replies