Pages: 1 25 replies

[ Edited by: tikiman07 2009-02-13 18:47 ]

[ Edited by: tikiman07 2009-02-13 18:48 ]

S

M
Murph posted on Thu, Feb 12, 2009 7:21 PM

+1

Steel drums??

You keep using that word "tiki." I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aaaaaaaaaaah. How horrible. On the other hand, this is the perfect place to send all those folks that think my definition of Tiki is too "narrow": Here's what you end up with! Enjoy "gettin' your Tiki on" !!!

T

Checked out the site. This is a Tiki bar??
[Removed by site hoster's request]
Now I get it.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Removed by site hoster's request - 2009-02-14 21:14 ]

Not only is that a tiki bar, it's one of the top 10 tiki bars!

TIKI HEADS unite!

L

From looking at the site it is more along the lines of what my brother (the proud parrot head) would consider tiki.

I think if people from TC started posting pics of their tiki bars there then it would definantly give the rest of the folks on that site some inspiration.

However I personally think its good to have 2 different websites to post 2 different ideas of what tiki is.

I think this site is so much about history and culture and art and craftmanship on top of amazing cocktails and food and music while that site is about the ice cold beer with limes and party atmosphere.

As my brother and I declared years ago ...He can have his "tiki" and I can have mine . That is what is so great about choice.

Although one day perhaps there could be a new version of the word "tiki" that they can use.....one can only dream!

M

On 2009-02-12 21:32, leleliz wrote:
Although one day perhaps there could be a new version of the word "tiki" that they can use.....one can only dream!

Why? The good old version of the word Tiki is perfect. Let them come up with a new word for their style.

B

On 2009-02-12 21:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaaah. How horrible.

Wait a minute. "If it has tiki on it..."

oh, well, uh... never mind.

I "got my tiki on" once. It gave me an infection and then... uh, well, never mind again.

-Duke

Check out Tiki Quest at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html
Tiki Central members get a discount and a special premium!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Removed by site hoster's request - 2009-02-14 21:15 ]

B

tikiman07,
How exactly do U "Get Your Tiki On!"? Eye used to get my tiki on B4 I got out of the shower, then I realized I wuz working 2 hard and that it was always 5 o-clock sumwhere and that all I needed wuz the rite clothing and stickers. U got any?

[ Edited by: boutiki 2009-02-12 22:57 ]

My wife and I have a rule about hunting for Tiki in the wild. If the store we enter smells like potpourri......leave!!..fast!!. I got the same bad feeling with this site.

On 2009-02-12 21:17, TabooDan wrote:
Checked out the site. This is a Tiki bar??

Now I get it.

Wow....awful beyond words. I have a better looking bar under a tarp in my yard...I keep it covered hoping no one sees it until I can turn it into a semi-decent tiki bar. Maybe I'll just stick a Corona poster to it instead.

As for there being two different definitions of the word "tiki"...I will paraphrase Michael Bolton from the movie "Office Space".."Why should I have to change? He's the one who sucks!"

myspace.com/anotherdayinthelbc

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Removed by site hoster's request - 2009-02-14 21:15 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Removed by site hoster's request - 2009-02-14 21:16 ]

Man! You guys scared that dude away! He deleted his post & ran like hell! I've got a funny feeling I'm glad I don't know what site you're talking about.

Hey, Nauga! Nices gams in that middle pic!

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 13, 2009 8:10 PM

On 2009-02-13 19:59, Big Kahuna wrote:
Man! You guys scared that dude away! He deleted his post & ran like hell! I've got a funny feeling I'm glad I don't know what site you're talking about.

Oh no they can't get off that easy.

[ Edited by: Murph 2009-02-13 20:11 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Removed by site hoster's request - 2009-02-14 21:16 ]

T

Just a point of clarification...

Tikiman did NOT delete his site and run. After reading all of the negative and nasty comments today about our website, we decided this forum was not for our business. We are a young upstart company just trying to find the right market and thought maybe some of you would be interested. We appreciate your input and will take your comments and criticisms to mind as we strive to improve our business.

We now understand those who surf this website are tiki "purists" and appear to even be "snobbish" about those who do not totally embrace their lifestyle choice. Tiki Life for us is about being with friends, relaxing, having a good time, and embracing a laid back way of life. That's how we "Get Our Tiki On".

There's room for different interpretations of what "tiki" is. We choose to have a good time and not take everything so seriously. If anyone would like to submit a photo of your style of tiki bar, we welcome you to our website. Aloha.

R

I am by no means a Tiki Purist....BUT EVEN I CAN TELL THAT SITE IS FAAAAIL!

OMFG.

:lol:

Ah...I really needed a good laugh - keep up the good work you two!

:D

On 2009-02-12 16:53, tikiman07 wrote:

[ Edited by: tikiman07 2009-02-13 18:47 ]

[ Edited by: tikiman07 2009-02-13 18:48 ]

Gosh darnit!

Missed it by THAT much!

( was sending spam burgers to another post....)

just found the site.

THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT??

R

On 2009-02-13 21:17, RevBambooBen wrote:
just found the site.

THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT??

It has to be. The new tiki Comedians? :lol:

G

Ben, I'm afraid it's no joke. It's more like a photo essay of the state I live in. Someone rescue me!!

On 2009-02-13 20:51, Tikiwife wrote:
We now understand those who surf this website are tiki "purists" and appear to even be "snobbish" about those who do not totally embrace their lifestyle choice. Tiki Life for us is about being with friends, relaxing, having a good time, and embracing a laid back way of life. That's how we "Get Our Tiki On".

There's room for different interpretations of what "tiki" is. We choose to have a good time and not take everything so seriously. If anyone would like to submit a photo of your style of tiki bar, we welcome you to our website. Aloha.

Tikiwife, with just a little research (as all successful businesses do), you and your hubby would have realized that that the Tiki that this site is all about has zero relation to what your site calls "tiki". The "Getting Your Tiki On" (is that trademarked?) lifestyle is all fine and good for those who embrace it, except for it's abuse of the word "Tiki". It has nothing to do with historical Polynesian Tiki, classic mid-century Tiki or modern artistic interpretations of either. READ OUR MISSION STATEMENT ABOVE. But you don't find us coming on your site and pushing Tiki Central. To come on our site and start lobbing "purist" and "snobbish" comments is beyond rude, not to mention unprofessional (since you represent a business). You brought all those comments on yourselves because you blindly posted your ad despite your complete ignorance of what Tiki Central is about. Consider it a Business 101 lesson. Best of luck to you (somewhere else please).

The owner emailed me and asked me to remove the links and photos from his site. I decided to comply with his wishes. He's leaving; won't be back.

Please don't mention his site again or post images from his site.

I understand you guys were joking, but it was a bit harsh. I did explain to the site author that Tiki Central focuses on a different aspect of Tiki than his site did, and TC was not the place for him.

Anyway, let's call this over. Thanks!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2009-02-14 21:21 ]

H-

maybe just delete the whole post?

( like some in the past)

On 2009-02-14 22:34, RevBambooBen wrote:
Maybe just delete the whole post? ( like some in the past)

There's a few reasons I'm not deleting it:

1. I try really hard not to remove people's words from this site. You guys put a lot of effort into posting here, and I think that's worth something (regardless of the actual content). (Every) forum's members should feel like when they post something, it's not in danger in poof disappearing on a whim because the site owner decided it so.

2. Not that this applied much to this topic, but it's not my job to remove people's feet from their mouths. That goes for both for "visitors" as well as TC regulars. To do so is to just hide someone's true character from the other members of the site.

3. In this particular post I want to walk a particular line here: Yeah there was some harshness that was not in the spirit of the "be nice" rule but at the same time, it was clear this user was not going to fit in on Tiki Central, his kind of tiki is not the kind we focus on here, and so this kinda just nipped it all in the bud. I would still prefer if people firmly but politely pointed new users like this to the About page and insist that it's not the site for them.

It reiterate: I removed the links and images on this page because the site owner asked me to, not for any other reason.

Mahalo to everyone.

Pages: 1 25 replies