Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Central Photo Archives Talkback

Pages: 1 32 replies

I started this thread to provide a feedback area regarding the new archives.

~Hanford

S

Sweet! Am I to understand that we can all contribute directly to the archive? (As long as we do it responsibly!)

I think this will greatly enhance everyones enjoyment of the site. Not only can we post pictures in the archive but we can use it for storage of Tiki pictures to post on the message board. Sweet!

Dude! You Rock!

My comments:

The archive is GREAT! However, I think it should be divided into sections - just like the message board.

-Home Tiki Bars
-Restaurants & Other Establishments
-Club Events
-Member Photos
...etc.

The photo archive really does put a personality on the board however, I think it would be easier to navigate the pics that I specifically want to see if it were sectioned.

My two cents...

S

Hanford,

I was able to post a picture without logging in. Not sure if this is a feature or bug?

SoBeTiki

[ Edited by: SoBeTiki on 2003-03-27 08:26 ]

Looks good to me Hanford, Nice work.
Thanks for the effort and making this happen. Definately adds to the fun.
Maybe in the future you can add section for carvings and art done by the TC ohana?
Squeek squeek,
Chongolio the wheel

Hanford~
How were you able to post on January 1, 2020? Tell me, is Tiki Central still here (there?) in 2020?

Hanford,
Great Idea. Is there a way to post a comment under a picture like you can on the Tiki Mug Gallery? Will this archive be linked from the forum? Again, thanks for all you do Hanford.

T

I like the way it's seperated into albums. But is there a way to create new albums within each main album? For example, under Tiki Events create an album for the SF Crawl 2003. Otherwise, it could get out of hand.

Excellent! A superb addition to Tiki Central.

Just a couple of questions:
How much space is available? The old Yahoo group clogged up quickly once the 30 Mg max was reached. What kind of size pics should we post? High res, but large file size or low res, small file size?

Should we continue to post illustrative pics not really meant to be kept permanantly in the way we've been doing for the past few months?

Trader Woody

MC

I love it. You are a website wizard.

To answer everyone’s questions:

However, I think it should be divided into sections - just like the message board.

It is divided. Go look at it. I made some changes to it since the “year in pictures” thread.

I was able to post a picture without logging in. Not sure if this is a feature or bug?

It’s not a bug. Programming-wise, The Archives are completely separate from the Bulletin board. The end result though is it’s really not any different than Yahoo, where anyone could join then post.

Maybe in the future you can add section for carvings and art done by the TC ohana?

Great idea. I’ll add that soon.

How were you able to post on January 1, 2020? Tell me, is Tiki Central still here (there?) in 2020?

It’s a server trick I used. The purpose is to make the message “sticky” so it’s always at the top of the forum. It won’t be there forever though, I’ll move it soon.

Is there a way to post a comment under a picture like you can on the Tiki Mug Gallery?

I turned that option off, because I thought it would lead to essentially 2 parallel forums. If the Archives stick to photos and the Forums stick to messages, I think we’ll all be better off. However, I did change the gallery to display the bbcode needed for inserting the photo into a TC message, so you can now copy and paste that. (look for the text just below the photo).

Will this archive be linked from the forum?
I will at some point add a link into the Navbar at the top of the forums to make it easier to get to the archives. I want to see how the beta-test goes first. Is this the type of linking you were thinking of, or were you talking about something more integrated than just a link?

** But is there a way to create new albums within each main album?**

Yes, although I have turned that option off. Perhaps I should turn that on. The permissions system on the gallery code is a little odd, and it either allows for too much control or not enough.

How much space is available?

Well I have a fixed amount of space on the server, but we’ve got lots of room right now. And I can always upgrade the server if we run out.

What kind of size pics should we post?

The “Nice” thing to do is post pictures at screen resolution (640 x 480), esp. if you’re going to be linking them into TC messages. The Archives can scale the images down, but the point is really your photo should be no larger than necessary, in order to keep our HD space to a minimum. Remember, most people are only going to want to look at the picture in their web browser and not print it out. So the pics shouldn’t be large.

Should we continue to post illustrative pics not really meant to be kept permanantly in the way we've been doing for the past few months?

For now, yes. What I would like to have is a Misc. Folder in the Archives that is meant to have photos like that. But I don’t yet. I guess it all depends on how quickly we use up HD space.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Keep them coming.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-27 15:31 ]

Hanford,

Thanks mucho! (that's a little Espanol there).

Lookin' Nui Loa Good!

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-03-27 21:39 ]

works + looks great! Is there gonna be a quick link button on the top of the Tiki Central Page? I hope so, I can't even remember where to find the other photo galleries!!

I saw them once, but now I can't remember how I got there!!!

A quick link would be good...

Yeah, I'll have a quicklink at some point, after I get all the bugs ironed out.

~Hanford

How's this going Hanford? There don't seem to be too many bugs. Will it be up and going full-blast any time soon?

Trader Woody

Well, "bugs" is a subjective term. There are a few logistical issues I need to work out. I've had a few questions via email about it and a few requests for albums, so I want to think through the best way to launch this so that I don't get a lot of people asking for albums, or people asking to rename the photos. But overall I think it's going well.

~Hanford

Will we eventually be able to upload more than 10 pics at a time? Or does that clog things up too much?

I'm not sure Vintage Girl. I didn't write it. in theroy, there's some code in there that is a maximum that I could just find and change to be 20 or something. But the problem is I don't know what the code is like and I've not gone in the poked around to see if that really is the case.

There's a program called Gallery Remote that you can download and run on your PC, and it will let you upload a lot more, I think. I've not tried it. The link to getting Gallery Remote is on the Archives themselves.

Thanks for checking it out, Folks.

M

I think it's pretty spiffy- I'd just like to able to create my own albums eventually.

Nice work,

Martin

Hanford,
Any plans to add a direct link to the links bar for the photo archive? Would make it easier to get to.

MC

could it be set up like the forums where the most recent folder is posted on top instead of at the bottom of the list?

MC

How do I create an Album? I would like to create a "NYC" album under "Events."
Thanks.

Any plans to add a direct link to the links bar for the photo archive?

Yup. Soon. How soon? Well, I need to get the instructions moved out from the announcement and into the Gallery itself. Then there's some other stuff I gotta do. So, sometime in the next 3 months it will happen.

could it be set up like the forums where the most recent folder is posted on top instead of at the bottom of the list?

I'll add that to the wishlist. I don't think it does that now, though.

Thanks for the continual feedback, everyone. It's great info.

~Hanford

T

Hey hanford, is there a way to add a caption to a photo? I've seen captions on some photos, but can't figure out where to add them. Also, will it be possible to edit captions after they are posted? Perhaps to avoid the "dual posting" that you mentioned, there could be a character limit, like ebay feedback?

Well, again that's the problem. The option that allows captions is called "allow edits" and it allows everything... cropping, rotation. Egh. I'll work on it though. Is renaming the pics before uploading them too much of a pain in the ass? I guess I could turn on comments though. I'll look into it.

~Hanford

Hi Hanford, apparently some images I tried uploading to shutterfly are too large. I tried reducing but no luck. Then I checked direct loading here on TC but you've turned it off. What next?
Renaming the pics before uploading is fine for me. I do it anyway.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-08-10 23:04 ]

G

I tink it's betta den pig, betta den poi

Hanford,
An excellent job you are doing with this site.
Only the best to you!

Yeah, the Archives are on my todo list, and they take up a LOT of space, so I'm probably going to have to turn off the "save original image" option, meaning all photos will get shrunk. I think. I need to look into it.

Sorry I've been so lame on this

[brokenrecord] I'm trying to get me current project done so I can dedicate some quality time to TC upgrades [/brokenrecord]

~Hanford

K

I've been unable to view the photo archives for a couple of weeks now. Is it down or is the problem on my end?

The archives have been down for a while now for quite a number of reasons. Chiefly, it was a security hole that let hackers into TC a few months ago.

~Hanford

is there stil a photo archive? it would be very usefull

Pages: 1 32 replies