Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

It's 30 degrees and Im thinking tiki time!!! Making my new palm leaves..

Pages: 1 5 replies

Well Michigan is about the most untropical place you can be BUT as some of you know last year I built an outdoor tiki bar. This year we are going to try and add some spice by landscaping and part of my idea is why not a palm tree in michigan. Now keep in mind this is only a start and more photos will follow as I get it together BUT it will be spring here before the final product will be totally shown. I will start with a few bar photos then I would love feedback on how my palm fronds are looking. Thanks tiki freaks!! The first 4 photos are of my bar from start to finish to give you an idea of what Im working with here. Just doing the framing part here

This is finished product.

This is the bar I constructed.

This is at night.

Ok from this point my idea is to add a palm tree about 12 ft high or so and you can bet I am going to use more poles. I have a green pole with a large bend in it and the frond will be attached to it once its set into the ground. Here is how Im doing my fronds.
FIRST I made a pattern to follow. Leaf is 4 ft for large size then 3 ft small size.

Next I am using PENSIL rod ( about 1/4 across end)to frame my fronds.

Then I am adding a larger diameter backbone in the same style rod as you can see here.

Then I am adding a few supports as you can see here, these will ad strength plus give that vein type look to the leaf.

This is the finished leaf as far as the structural part goes. This will be cleaned and painted green.

From this point the only idea I have is get some outdoor fabric in a green color, make a pattern of my leaf design and then cut the material sew a nice lip all the way around and lay it on top of the leaf frame I built and then use green zip ties to hold the material there. You will see the framing from under the leaf but yet have the look of the leaf with the material on top. If the material ever goes bad, cut your zip ties, make a new material leaf for the top and zip tie it once again. Tell me what you think of this idea, other than that I am lost. Take care!!

I love the rusty corrugated tin, instant aged tiki bar!

On the fronds, if you attach a solid piece of green fabric, it will look more like a big leaf, and not a palm frond, IMO. Are you planning to slit the fabric at all?

I did a google image search for palm fronds, and found this pic of fake palms that actually look pretty good. Maybe this can help you?

Thanks for the photo and Yes I do tlike the style of those palms. I did not think of slitting the material but could see the value in doing so. This is the early stages of this idea so Im open to any suggestions. One thing I am going to do is make the truck of my tree look like the ones pictured, I had that in mind for a while now. I wondered if the design stays as I have it would people really go . you know thats not a palm frond but rather a leaf or would they appreciate the basic design and take it for what its worth as a rendering of a palm tree here in michigan?? Im not sure but if I can swing the split look, I like it too.

Now... in addition... consider a live palm tree or two. I did this with one of my restaurants in northern Indiana and it worked. There are companies that will haul a 12 foot palm tree up north and plant it where you want it and in the fall, come and take it back to Florida... it's just a matter of $. If I had a tiki bar as nice as yours... I'd give it a thought.

I noticed the aged corrugated too, nice touch. You've got iron and a welder, how about twice as many cross fronds, no outside frame, and no fabric. It would be more of a stylized palm tree look.

There was someone else up north (Wisconsin?) that has posted a faux palm tree he had built but I can't seem to find his post.

Now Bongo thats an idea, man if I could swing that the cats around here would freak. MAd Mike I actually like the idea of more cross fronds and no material at all, I never thought of that. I think once painted that would look cool, last forever and give it a truly one of a kind look. Also I think if I drill the pole Im mounting these too these would stay nicely even if its real windy because that was a concern of mine with fabric on them. Thanks for the great idea, I am going to look into that.

Pages: 1 5 replies