Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

It's 30 degrees and Im thinking tiki time!!! Making my new palm leaves..REVISED DESIGN FROND.

Pages: 1 9 replies

Maddogmike gave me an idea to try to revise my original idea of a palm frond. I did try what he said and wanted to see what you guys thought. Basically i kept the same design minus the outside supports and increased the cross supports or fronds. I will post a few pictures of each, let me know this is a work in progress and if you guys think its ok then onward I will go. Thanks for the help!!
My original design:

as you can tell this looks like a big leaf basically:

This is with just the cross fronds and outside ones removed.

This one is supported in the vice and you can see what it looks like from under the palm frond.

And here is a little green paint for effect.

From this point let me know if this looks good to you guys, I think I like it better than the first design and with some lights on them I think atnight will be awesome. Another thing that will be good with the 2nd design is that the wind wont catch these like the other design and no maintence except a little paint now & then.

I think it looks awesome! And much cheaper than shipping your live palm trees south for the winter! :lol: Nice welding job (and quick)

I like it, too. It'll have a modern, minimalist feel to it. Plus, it's be pretty indestructable!

On 2009-02-15 12:57, TikiMeplus3 wrote:

How many channels can you get with that?

Buzzy Out!

The old design had an association with the old print graphic style... and I kinda liked it for that... but once covered, maybe not.

I like the new design, but maybe I'm in a mood, 'cause I sorta like it better bronz-ish than the green... more caricature to it.

Bongo I thought the same espically when I looked at the photos. I do think outside it will be better in the green but then again I did take it outside but we have snow so it looked cool against the white background. Once summer is here maybe the green will just blend, Hell I dont know Im just trying to make a dam palm tree!!!!! LOL. Well I think Im going to stay with this design and who knows maybe find something else for the other design. Thanks for all the input..

On 2009-02-15 14:48, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2009-02-15 12:57, TikiMeplus3 wrote:

How many channels can you get with that?

Buzzy Out!

Hey Buzzy great idea maybe I could hook my stereo to the palm tree and I could get stations from around the world!!

For any of you that wanted to see my palm tree with the revised palm fronds I welded, check this out.I will actually get more photos but I think it looks cool just as is. I did recently add lights to the fronds and trunk of my palm tree and also added some rafia to the top as to give that natural look and give something for the coconuts to have as a backdrop. Tell me what you think!!

These photos to show you what else I have going one here at the lava lounge. My first tiki carving on left and my second on the right, my bar sign from an actual surfboard bought 5 miles from my house in michigan, good ole craigslist.

my second tiki god a little closer.

I think the tree turned out great! Only palm tree in Michigan :)

THanks Mad dog, I believe with you help it turned out. I appreciate all the ideas from you and others, and when I get more photos I will post them. I am having a party this weekend and will take some then.

Pages: 1 9 replies