Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Backyard Tiki Lounge 2010

Pages: 1 17 replies

D

Been working on this for a few years and keep changing ideas with seasons! Pictures show some of the transitions. The final bar I have removed the raffia roofing as birds kept taken bits at a time and Michigan weather can be a pain in the butt too! I used burlap in it's place and actually looks good. My original ideas were to do more island theme than true tiki as I do caribbean catering in the summer. (Included a few pics of my portable bar/booth at the end). But as time goes on it turned into a blend of both. I have tried to use as much used and recycled wood products as possible (almost 90% of the project is-got almost 2,000 ft of cedar from a nightclub that remodeled for free). With the bar, 5 TV's, 10 speaker sound and a beer pong pavilion it has turned into quite the summer spot for my friends and neighbors!...any ???'s and comments appreciated! Tom

SPRING 2008

FALL 2008

FALL 2009

My Portable Booth/Bar for Events/Catering

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 13:45 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 16:47 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 16:49 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 16:52 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 17:48 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 17:54 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 18:02 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 18:10 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-18 18:54 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2009-02-19 11:01 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2010-01-07 16:31 ]

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2010-01-07 18:07 ]

That looks Tikitastic matey :drink: ...real nice job...love all the little touches you have made everywhere...Im very jealous indeed...thanks for some good ideas though... :P

D

thanks Goober!@

I actually did alot more work at the end of season and didn't take pics....Just waiting for the SNOW to disappear. It is nice to look outside though and know we'll be out there soon!!!

Great job on the bar, love what you got going on. I too am in michigan and wanted the roof of my back yard bar to have thatch on it but opted for weathered metal to give an old look plus handle the michigan winter and weather. My structure is done bar is 95% and nowI am adding more to the bar this year, I like your fence as a backdrop I may have to do the same!! Thanks for some more ideas and inspirating to give mine a more complete feel, here are a few photos of what I have going on.

D

Don't find much like us in Michigan so that's always a plus. I really like the look of that structure. You could use a thatch skirting underneath the overhang to "tikify" it but honestly, that looks great as is. I was looking forward to not doing much work or adding on more this spring, but I got another half acre that is open and a 4 poster like yours may have to be in the works!!..lol...absolutely love the pathway too..thanks for the reply!!!@

Tom

D
djwaxx posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2009 4:45 PM

This is my open apology for having put the TV's in the design. I though it would be a cool thing to have being outdoors and all, but after a quite a few PM's regarding that this is a strict violation of tiki code, I decided to own up to my error. They are wonderful during the summer to be outside and watching the games, but I know now they are taboo and hope the tiki gods and everyone else understands this was a novice mistake!

T

Nice spot!!
All I can see missing is a few tikis.
A Bosko here Witco there.

Oh and some hanging lights.
I can sell you those.

On 2009-03-05 16:45, djwaxx wrote:
This is my open apology for having put the TV's in the design. I though it would be a cool thing to have being outdoors and all, but after a quite a few PM's regarding that this is a strict violation of tiki code, I decided to own up to my error. They are wonderful during the summer to be outside and watching the games, but I know now they are taboo and hope the tiki gods and everyone else understands this was a novice mistake!

Actually, I love the outdoor living room look. If you're gonna watch TV, at least you can do it outside now :)

RH

I love the night shots that look like a small carnival!!!!

Hey, since the TV is built into the wall, you could hang a tiki painting in front of it and move it when you want to watch TV. The tiki gods don't have x-ray vision so they won't know it's there! :)

T

Nothing wrong with the tvs.
Just play cool old tiki stuff on em like Frankies does
in Vegas.
Endless summer,Beach Blanket Bingo, Ect...

D
djwaxx posted on Mon, Mar 9, 2009 5:48 PM

well thx everyone for the positive replies. I guess the TV's will stay..I did get a few PM's with more ideas too, which was the original purpose of this thread so thank you for those..Luckily it is starting to warm up here in Michigan and, going against my promise to myself, I will be adding on again (due to all the ideas Ive seen here!!!) and making changes more true to tiki form!...Never ending project!!! Starting to remind me of the Winchester house!

It was a job well done. No harm with the TV, like they said just hang a painting in front of it and move it when needed!

D

thanks XT....I'm gonna go w/the picture idea...Just gotta find some art work to cover those up now!

D
djwaxx posted on Thu, Jan 7, 2010 4:29 PM

been a while....made a few changes during last season!
ADDED FINAL DECK AND FENCE TO THE END--GIVES A FINISHED FEEL

CLOSER LOOK AT THE NEW LOUNGE AREA-WILL STAIN THIS SPRING

CHANGED THE BAR ROOF TO SHINGLES-DAMN SQUIRRELS KEPT TEARIN GRASS OUT

GRILL'N AND DJ AREA-

PICKED UP ICE DISPENSER AND DRINK MACHINE FOR $40 AT LIQUIDATION SALE!-WORKS GREAT

Hopefully this is the end of adding things and I can actually enjoy a summer instead of working on it. Thanks as always for all of your ideas..any comments or other ideas are always welcome!!!

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2010-01-07 18:59 ]

DAAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN !!!! THATS SWEEEEETTT!!! I LOVE IT!!!! how much u charge the neigbors!? lol!! very cool!!! cheerz!!!

very inviting! great job!

Amy

D
djwaxx posted on Fri, Jan 8, 2010 6:54 PM

thank you...!!! Not too bad for using recycled wood and a pretty much zero budget!!! can't wait till spring

[ Edited by: djwaxx 2010-01-08 18:54 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies