Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Pop Surf Culture book signing, with the Boardwalkers -- FREE

Pages: 1 18 replies

B

Hi Everyone!

Here is the latest blog that I put up. It features details of my book signing, as well as a travelogue of bohemian Laguna Beach. Give it a second to load, as there are quite a few images:

http://dumbangelmag.blogspot.com/

Anyways…

Saturday, February 21st, there will be a book signing event for Pop Surf Culture: Music, Design, Film and Fashion from the Bohemian Surf Boom at Stories Book Store, 1716 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, California, from 6 to 9 p.m. There will be live surf instrumental music by the Boardwalkers, and pre-1970 surfing movies projected throughout the shop. Come meet co-authors Domenic Priore and myself, and our gang of friends… it'll be another easy-goin', fun filled and groovy FREE time in Echo Park.

Thanks for listening, and I hope to see you there.

Yours,
Brian Chidester

I'll be behind the drumkit! WHOO!
Sadly, rocks biggest cowbell will stay home.
To make the event Tiki-esque, I will be wearing a Tiki shirt and one of my "Von-Tiki" necklaces I made while in the Tiki Tones.

bump

Sat 6 to 9 free

today,

by the way,
Jon Paul of Tikiyaki and Tiki Magazine is also in the Boardwalkers.

and this is a killer historical book,

please come out and check it out.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

hey all,
last minute
Gonna swing by Tiki Ti before this event.
from 4 to 5:45 ish
and Dean (the Jab) from Nor.Cal. is gonna be there too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ya know, I wore my very rare green Ku tiki shirt.
Had my Von Tiki (that I made in the 90's) necklass on.
Played my old ass off on drums... for what?

A Sven sighting!

I'm good with that.

T

On 2009-02-22 02:26, Don Brewski wrote:

A Sven sighting!

I'm good with that.

Brewski.....Wish I could have been there. I was in the studio recording Squid for the new Yaki album.

great show yesterday Boardwalkers,
thanks for playing that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-02-22 08:52, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2009-02-22 02:26, Don Brewski wrote:

A Sven sighting!

I'm good with that.

Brewski.....Wish I could have been there. I was in the studio recording Squid for the new Yaki album.

Good times! fast-dirty Surf fueled by cheap beer!
Jimbo, don't lose Squids tracks like Brent did LOL.

That darn Sven. He makes a bigger splash than we who wrote the book! :)

Cool meeting you, Johnpaul!

On 2009-02-25 11:29, BC-Da-Da wrote:
That darn Sven. He makes a bigger splash than we who wrote the book! :)

It was an honor playing Brian!

I was trying to be "Tiki"...

Jeff

B

Ha! Just be you. That's good enough. You guys rocked the shit out of that little bookstore.

B

Oh, by the way, Jeff... sorry I didn't see the drum reference above. I thought the "Don Brewski" moniker was Johnpaul's.

hahaha Brian,
JonPaul is a TC lurker.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Funny that Jeff (the drummer) says he was trying to be tiki at Stories Book Store, because I got the complete opposite vibe from the band. Danny has played some really breezy shows, where the mellow soul coming from the Boardwalkers reminded me of Chet Baker. Like the show they did with us at Sid's Blue Beet in 2006. But it must have been something about Echo Park, man, because I've NEVER heard Danny play so punk as he did at Stories. I thought they rocked hard. Sorry if I sound like an Iron Maiden fan.

Hey guys. Loved the sound. I am no Surf nut, but I dug this. Your book is -well- BOSS! Was a nice surprise to see The Jab down here, too.

This thread deserves some pics:

In the back of Stories Bookstore, at the coffee counter...

...the boys sign away, while Dean takes in the sounds.

"The inscription is supposed to say WHAT!?" (Jeff, stop being so blurry!)

C

"The inscription is supposed to say WHAT!?" (Jeff, stop being so blurry!)

How do you think it's possible that BTJ can be at 7 or 8 events in a single day when most people are lucky to make it to one? He moves at a different light speed than the rest of us.

I'm bummed I couldn't make this one myself--I was at a wedding in central Cal that weekend.

B

I was wondering the same thing myself. Tiki Dude takes so much in, I'm only hoping that one day he will write a book about this era in L.A.

It was great seeing you there, Sven. One funny thing was, after we had a moment to talk film and book-writing, I started in on a conversation about the David Bowie and U2 albums that those artists cut in Berlin with Brian Eno, thinking that I might get some insight from a German expat. Before I got two sentences in, the Boardwalkers started playing and it was like, "What was I just talking about?"

ha! you guys crack me up.
yeah I went to tiki ti, book signing, and big Garage blowout show that night.

Sven, hopefully this years Tiki Oasis will open you up more to surf.
you are going to be there right?

thanks for the pics.
sorry I was blurry.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 18 replies