Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Arthur Lyman covering Eden Abhez (!?)

Pages: 1 4 replies

I came across Arthur Lyman's band doing a cover of Eden's Island. It sounds legit, but is also seems like crazy crossover I've never heard of, because I tend to think of Eden and Lyman as being an equal but parallel paths of exotica that didn't mix. It sounds great, but it was truly unexpected when I found it. Any extra info anyone has is appreciated.

Here's the iTunes link to it, check it out:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=287054569&s=143441

[ Edited by hanford_lemoore 2009-02-20 03:50 ]

Eden's Island was in fact covered by Arthur LYman for his 1963 album "Blowin' In The Wind".

The exotica song book is pretty small, so I'm sure Lyman was constantly on the lookout for new exotica-type tunes to include on his albums. Ahbez was certainly famous for penning the hit "Nature Boy" too. So I'm sure Lyman knew who he was and knew his "Eden's Island" LP as well. Of course this is only speculation.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2009-02-20 11:22 ]

A

this lyman version is also on the late, great Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge (podcast #22).

Digitiki, by the way, I love all your podcasts, too. Thanks for the great tunes!

Does anybody know if the Nov.08 Les Baxter Univ. of Arizona concert is available on audio or video? Has anybody talked to Keith Pawlak?

Wow, that 's a GOOD one, really tops in animal sounds and percussion! Thanks Hanford.

Aku,
THanks! As far as I know, there is no recording of the Baxter concert in Tucson, AZ. There are only a few photos that I took and most of them came out poorly because of the very low lighting. It is my hope that Keith will put together another Baxter concert again in the future.

Pages: 1 4 replies