Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

First time mugger

Pages: 1 7 replies

Starting on my first mug. Thought I would post some pictures of the progress I'm making.I would love to see any other amatuer muggers work out there too.

Here are a few pictures of the initial carving.

What do you think?

Looks great. What is the sculpt made of? Planning to mold and cast it? Look through the posts in the "Other Crafts" section, your find lots of work by other muggers - amature, semi-pro, and pro.

V

Looking great! Love the subtle wood-grain texture. I've got the same questions as MadDog - what media, and are you planning on molding and slip casting your mugs? Awesome start!

Henrik

HL

I love your mug!
What a great design, love the subtle texture.
I also like how you photographed it
on the bamboo matt and red background, really nice!!

Hey Rocktiki,
been absent, just trying to get caught up on all the art here, looks like a great start on your mug. I would pose some technical issues if you plan to mold and slip cast this mug. You have some undercut issues that will be particularly tough to get around. Hopefully we will get a response here about your plans with this mug, but it appears to be sculpted out of oil based or sculpty, and is solid, so my guess is you are planning to mold it. Hopefully we here more about your plans and some other mug artists will chime in to provide some insight.

FIRST MUG?

Really?

Wow.

Rock on....

R

I carved it out of white hydro-cal plaster from a local ceramic shop. My plan is to make a silicone mold, then a silicone master and finally make a multi piece plaster mold from that. After that its the standard clay slip casting. I like the plaster, something about the way it looks carved instead of sculpted. I am also trying a few other techniques with chavant and water based clay. And starting some little Polynesian idols for my wife's obsession with geocaching. And thanks for the compliments.

cool man, plaster sculpting is fun. the question i have now is why go the route of creating a silicone master? If you seal the plaster you can just mold off of the original, or are you intending to have a soft positive version of your sculpture to try and get around some of the undercut issues? or are you wanting a master positive to make multiple molds off of?
I know some of the guys here sculpt originals in wax, i go with chavant nsp and Laguna's WED water based. Use these at work, so just have stuck with what i know.

for the earliest scoop on new Ocea Otica works http://junkhaulersjunk.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2009-02-24 13:54 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies