Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lil Hawaiian Fella

Pages: 1 10 replies

F

Hi All
Like the title, it's been a while since my last post but I have been lurking, moving to a rural location, setting up shop and getting all at one with the land has taken all but 12 months.
Getting back into carving last Autum proved a little stressful, including blowing up my Weecher Micromotor and building a point carver. But amongst a few projects this little fella 1 1/2 in long which I now wear, a little piece of the NZ greenstuff

Following that and a desire to produce something a little larger and better came this one, first time I managed to get fold of some small core drills which fit standard Micromotor fittings. Siberian Jade 10 mm thick and 3 inches long. I was looking for a bit of an Artifake (Tama's description) old stylee look.

Following the above I started this one. Solid Opal inlays for the eyes and a different eye treatment. this one is made from similar material, may be Argillite according to Paipo, but it works similar to Jade, quite tough material. please with how this one turned out but there is still some finishing work to do.

I'm working on a few other bits n pieces which I will post soon.
Oh I forgot to big up the NZ boys Tama and Paipo for their recent awards (and free correspondance course! through this forum) also Benz, Aloah, Seeks and many others for keeping my enthusiasm going during the dark winter nights, not forgetting my other half for giving me the OK to get a new micromotor.
Thanks for looking
Flynny

[ Edited by: flynny 2009-03-07 23:19 ]

T

NICE! Love the opal inlays! Good stuff, good stuff!

On 2009-02-23 23:03, flynny wrote:
..moving to a rural location, setting up shop and getting all at one with the land has taken all but 12 months.

Now were talking! Great stuff Flynny - are these really your first three hei-Tiki? Damn, better than my first efforts in jade. Looks like getting back to the soil has fed your creative spirit. Are you still in Devon?

Keep up the great work mate!

B

WOW, Welcome to Tiki Central Flynny, you've been gone long enough you deserve a noobe welcome. AND you come bearing Beautiful Goodies TOO! WELL Done there Ol' Chapp. Perhaps getting back to one with nature has really helped your creativity as Tama thinks, I agree too, just keep on chuggin and grinding and turning out these beauties.
Super Glaad to have you back Flynny!

L

Very cool stuff, I like it , the last is the best , opal inlays give a supernatural expression...

BD

looks beautiful. i specially love the evil eyes.

bd

F

Thanks for the comps guys. Yes Tama these are the last 3 Hei Tiki amongst other bits and pieces, I am quite pleased with the progress.
I don't think the land was the influence but building a point carver (1/2 hp motor, 3 diamond bands on a rubber drum on one side, jacobs chuck and polishing stuff on the other side) combined with a new NSK E Max micromotor was. It's as if with the proper gear I had a huge head start. I will post up some pics of the new gear soon.
12 months ago I was trying to sprint with leg cuffs on before I could walk. A huge big up to you, Paipo and Benz who's work and methods I have folowed.
Still not quite there yet.
At the Devon Stone Carving Awards ( held in the phone box in Chilla village) I got an Award of Merit, not really surprising as I was the only one there.
Cheers Guys
Luke the Jadei

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Feb 25, 2009 2:19 PM

Haha, you know she loves you when she lets you get a NSK! Welcome to "the club" Flynny - now you're playing with POWER!
Those guys are looking really good for your first efforts and I'm particularly taken with tiki #3 and his opal peepers. The eyes really are the window to the soul when it comes to tikis and the overall mood of the finished piece.

I am a big fan of using simple shapes and then executing them with soft surfaces and your first tiki really hits home with me. The surface treatment reminds me so much of images of ancient Hei Tiki that it's almost scary.

You definately have a rare talent.

Aloha!

Marcus

F

Hi Guys
A couple of pieces nearing completion, a little help or direction in the final details would be appreciated, first off a little pebble fella after the hawaiian bowl figures, the pebble was found locally I thought it was Basalt but on closer inspection there are flecks of green and Quartz in it, eyes are Gold Lip pearl made with core drills, mouth is Mop, question is should I leave the mouth as is or carve it into teeth as the originals were made with real teeth, it's the only bit of MOP I've got so I don't want to wreck the piece.

The second piece is after the Rei Puta, made from BC jade, quite chunky with recessed eyes in Amythyst,quite plain unless anyone has any brilliant ideas for the flat area. I have the greatest respect for the guys who used to carve these simplistic forms, there are hardly any flat faces,

another view

Thanks for looking
Regards
Flynny the Jadei

L
laojia posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2009 1:02 AM

I appreciate your work, just I'm not qualified to answer at your question.

Pages: 1 10 replies