Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Need Help Identifying a Bowl

Pages: 1 2 replies

A few months ago I ran across this bowl in an antique mall. I really liked it but the price was a little more than I wanted to spend. Well after months of weekly "visits" to ogle the damn thing I thought, "if I don't buy it soon it someone else will and I'll regret it forever." As such, I went ahead and forked over the cash. Luckily, I was able to finagle a 10% discount - not much, but hey, it helped with the tax.

I was really drawn to this bowl because its something I've never seen before. It appears to be made of lava or stone but I'm not for certain. There is no makers mark anywhere. Does this look familiar to anyone?

BTW - Sorry for the crappy pics!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-27 17:57 ]

Pop,

How big is the bowl? I'm assuming it's some kind of planter for a small palm or tropical plant that you might have been able to buy at a nursery during the 1960s. I've never seen one before. Very nice!

Sabu

Sabu,
Good eye! It's about the size of a small plant pot. Its hard to see in the pics but its got a slight fade on bottom half from moisture. As such, I wanted to touch it up with a light coat for flat black/charcoal spray paint to mask the faded portion however, didn't want to do anything to it just yet in case its something that shouldn't be altered (collectible?).

Pages: 1 2 replies