Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Disco drinks

Pages: 1 9 replies

There seems to be a new trend afoot here in London and it seems to be based around a drink that is probably described as one of the Tiki variety.
It seems to have made its way on to the menus in many of our finest cocktail bars, match and mahiki being amongst them and is apparently selling in large amounts, someone even suggested it was outselling mojitos in one of these bars.
And now this cocktail style has been given its own name, maybe even becoming a new genre.....
The Disco Drink!
I'll give you a clue its blue and cites a Polynesian Island in its name.

Are there any more of these out there from the Tiki drinks camp that may crossover

A

um..... Blue Hawaii? Blue Hawaiian?

Blue Hawaii at a guess...

I used to manage a nightclub in the mid 90s and it was one of the 'core' Cocktails then.

Is it the "Blue Lagoon" that's a top eighties drink or is it straight Blue Caraco, covered in dust stolen from the back of your mum & dad's booze cupboard.

A Blue Hawaiian is DISCO ? Since When ?

Back in the day, when I used to go to discos...

I would order a gin and tonic, not so much because I liked the taste back then.
It was because it would glow blue and look really cool when the black lights came on.

It's true, try it at home. Pull out your old black lights (the ones that make those florescent posters glow) and aim it at your gin and tonic. The quinine in the tonic water will fluoresce and glow bright blue so strongly you can read a newspaper from the light.

"Bump"

C'mon Cheekytiki what is the Disco Drink?

Oh, sorry It is of course the Blue Hawaiian, but are there any other Tiki drinks out there that may suffer the smae fate.

Aren't disco drinks the same as "Fern Bar" drinks?

T

So what, exactly, constitute Disco drinks and Fern Bar drinks? Anyone have guesses on cliches for ordering in these sorts of places, for the sake of being cliche?

Tinkers' Damn (sorta-kinda gay bar in San Jose) definately counts as a disco, and the Billy McHale's chain here in the Seattle area definately classify as fern bars (with a bit of that "crazy crap on the walls" thing - they're all log-built buildings stuffed with Victorian lamps full of multicolored bulbs, antiques and neon signs, Western stuff and, yes, ferns). Maxi's, a bar atop the Doubletree (ex-Red Lion) by the airport, atop the main tower and reachable by glass capsule elevators, is, or at least was, a disco - now it's the local meet market, where the touted "top 40 DJ" plays top 40 circa 1991 - but the view is great, so I wanna drink there.

Anyone know the popular/trendy cocktails circa late 70s-early 80s that weren't "classics" (i.e. martinis and manhattans)? I visit all three of these places, and yeah, I'd like to order something completely cliche, just to feel truly at-home - and to see the tender's expression.

Pages: 1 9 replies