Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Save The Tonga Room Event March 6th

Pages: 1 31 replies

R

Hi All! I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this yet or not. I tried searching for it but could not find it. They are going early from 5 - 7 so maybe we should overlap them and go until about 9 pm? I don't think it can hurt. I'm trying to get that night off from FI so I can go too, but even if I don't please do go and try to help save the Tonga Room.

Here's what was forwarded to me from a facebook post:

Host: I Love San Francisco
Type: Party - Cocktail Party
Network: Global
Date: Friday, March 6, 2009
Time: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Street: 950 Mason
City/Town: San Francisco, CA

Subject: Friday March 6

Our group has over 800 members in 3 days, all through word of mouth. Keeping spreading the news!

As you can see from the posts, people are calling for an evening at the Tonga Room next Friday, March 6. Jed Lane has set up an event here http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=53690287642#/event.php?eid=53690287642

It's a tough time economically, so the best way to convince the Fairmont to keep the Tonga Room is to show up, spend money, and make it a smart business decision to keep it in place.

And keep posting your memories of the Tonga Room that we can share with the powers that be!

Mahalo for posting this! TofuJoe & I will put it on the calendar.

UB

Great news and I wish (and thank) the group the best.
800 people? Even if half show, it's hard enough to get a drink on the Tiki Central bar crawl.
Still waiting for someone to organize a "Tiki Central Save The Tonga" event.

On 2009-03-01 08:58, Unga Bunga wrote:

How about we organize a monthly TC event at the Tonga Room? Like the 2nd or 3rd Weds or Friday?

Z

ooo! Sounds like a good idea
to me...

~Zero

R

On 2009-03-01 08:04, Haole'akamai wrote:
Mahalo for posting this! TofuJoe & I will put it on the calendar.

I'm excited I just got Friday off so we'll be there too. Not sure if we can make it by 5 pm but we'll try.

R

On 2009-03-01 18:40, dangergirl299 wrote:

How about we organize a monthly TC event at the Tonga Room? Like the 2nd or 3rd Weds or Friday?

How about a Thursday night for us poor folks that work at Forbidden Island On Wed. and Fri. Besides there's already a weekly TC night at FI on Wed. nights. :o)

Why is this so early? 5PM is not real practical for most people that work and need to drive/park to get there.

But we'll see what we can do!

I think it's five because that is when the Happy Hour starts, with buffet and (I think?) drink specials.

On 2009-03-02 09:45, retrodiva wrote:

On 2009-03-01 18:40, dangergirl299 wrote:

How about a Thursday night for us poor folks that work at Forbidden Island On Wed. and Fri. Besides there's already a weekly TC night at FI on Wed. nights. :o)

Or a Saturday night for those of us in the wilds of Sacramento and other faraway places?

K
Kolohe posted on Mon, Mar 2, 2009 8:02 PM

I wish I could make it. But I don't get off of work until 5 p.m.

I'll be in Oakland taking the CBEST that afternoon... wouldn't be too much of a stretch to stop over in SF on the way back up to Santa Rosa.

On 2009-03-02 14:50, Kâlai Waʻa wrote:

Why is this so early? 5PM is not real practical for most people that work and need to drive/park to get there.

A friend pointed out that they, at least used to, charge an entertainment charge after 7 pm. So that might be why it's so early. I think if our TC group gets there by 6:30 we can keep the party going until 9 or so.

R

Hello,

This is from the Save The Tonga Room event page on Facebook about organization of Friday's event. I'm going to try to get there around 5 pm, when it opens. But I stress that I don't think people should not come even if they can't get there by 7 pm. I doubt that everyone will be getting there that early so the party should still be going.

All,

Patrice Mackey (Eugene, OR) wroteon March 2, 2009 at 12:00pm

Well, as word of this Friday's event has spread amongst a number of communities (both online and analog), the concept of trying to "Organize" it has somewhat fallen by the wayside. There may be too many groups to try and keep one central organizing committee for all of them.

HOWEVER, there are some ideas and guidelines that some of the instigators would like to share with folks planning on coming out and show their support for the Tonga:

1. Respect the Farimont/Tonga Staff & Premises.

Hey, this is a show of SUPPORT, not a protest, per se. If we want the powers to bend to our will, it'll be a lot better if we are respectful and show them our LOVE for the Tonga Room and it's environs. To that end, please don't block the entrances or disrupt the access of Hotel Guests or Staff as much as possible during the event.

1. Ya gotta Wear the Flair
    Hey, how are they going to know you aren't just another tourist? By your Tiki Wear! Be it classic Navy Whites, Colorful Tropical Shirts, Leis, Pith Helmets, Straw Hats, or whatever...this should be a celebration of all things Tiki!

2. A few signs would be nice.
    Let folks know why you are there! But remember to keep it clean....nothing ruins a good news photo op like a sign they can't show on the 6 O'clock news.

3. Gathering Location:

Folks will be gathering beginning at 4:00 PM at Huntington Park, 1 Block West of the Fairmont until just before 5:00 PM when the Tonga Room Opens and then walk down en masse to the California Side Entrance to the Tonga Room. This should allow for some nice photo ops both before and during the brief march down to the Tonga Room.

1. Patience.
    Ya know, it might get a wee bit crowded in the Tonga Room on Friday. Please be prepared to wait, or even visit one of the other venues at the Fairmont before getting inside. And again, be polite with the staff, management and guests.

2. Have fun!

T

Here's what I wrote on Facebook regarding the Friday gathering. Let me know your thoughts.

In my humble opinion, it is not a good idea to do this event on a Friday. I'm sure they are always plenty busy on Fridays for Happy Hour, and a huge crowd descending on them will just piss them off. The staff is usually grumpy anyway, if not downright rude. I have been involved in many of the annual Tiki Crawls (at least 5 or 6) when we showed up en masse (calling them ahead does no good, they will not try and make special accomodations), and they were not happy with us.

Do our cause a favor and reschedule this for a slower day, like Sunday or Wednesday (they are closed Mon and Tues). I think they open at 4:00 on Sunday.

R

Regarding what The Jab wrote, I do agree, but what I can tell you from working in a bar, that no matter how pissed off the staff and managers might be about a particularly busy night the only people who really matter are the ones looking at the numbers. So we might piss the staff off, but we will probably make the money people think twice.

That being said...I think we should do this right and at least one Thursday a month go there for a TC night. I'm open most Thursdays and would be happy to spur this on as long as someone else is willing to take the reigns if there is a month I can't make it.
a
One reason for going early is that they have happy hour from 5 - 7 pm. But I think to really get a good group we need to make it from 7 pm - onwards.

We could shoot for the 1st Thursday of the month so as not to conflict with any of Jab's dj gigs at FI. That would make our first meet on April 2nd and give the Tonga some time to recover from this Friday. In case they are pissed off. What does everyone think about the 2nd?

There are several groups researching what is involved with getting it listed as a historic landmark but so far what they've found is that the laws only cover the outside of a building. So truly I believe the only way they are going to sit up and take notice is if the Tonga starts making money.

UB

If somebody told them (I'm sure they already did)that 800 people are going to show up with signs and protest, I wouldn't be surprised if they shut it down on Thursday.

If I lived closer I would be all over this.I have been there many times and
this is a great place.Another historic tiki temple in jeopardy .There will
be nothing left soon for the next generation to enjoy.Truly a sad day.

T
thejab posted on Fri, Mar 6, 2009 2:38 PM

Who wants to go this Sunday around 5:00? I'm sure they will need the business then. I can make it on April 2nd, but I don't want to wait that long. I need a reminder of what we're fighting for; surely not for the drinks!

J

I could make it Sunday around 6:00. I've got something else in the city until 5:30 in Potrero Hill area.

L

I agree with the folks who suggest we spread out the support, rather than stage a single event. I was there on a Saturday about a month ago and the place was packed. We could not get a dinner reservation -- had to eat in the bar. It is still a popular place, but it can't hurt to make it even more popular!!

FYI re the entertainment charge -- If you are there when the music starts, they will add the entertainment charge to your bill.

I am prepared to chain myself to the tonga room if they are serious about shutting it down.

T

I'm hoping someone posts pics. I'd love to see what the turnout was!

I saw it on CBS News!

(you'll have to sit through a commercial to see it, though)

UB

My God Haole'akamai,
After watching that video, I would also say, Close the mother down!
The reporter didn't even want to be there.
Damn glad I wasn't.

L

That was a pretty great turnout-the power of cyberspace for sure.

On a side note that reporter is pretty much the absolute worst. How is she allowed on tv???

On 2009-03-08 13:14, leleliz wrote:

On a side note that reporter is pretty much the absolute worst. How is she allowed on tv???

No kidding! Linda Yee is one of the worst field reporters (the only one I dislike more is Vic Lee - he's a complete troll) in the Bay Area, and we're a MAJOR MARKET. Her eyes are always looking in two different direction, neither is into the camera. She creeps me out.

Plus, do we know that one guy in the crazy-ass checkered visor (Uh, the 80s band Madness called and they want their wardrobe back!) they interviewed in line who, when asked what his wildest memory of the Tonga was, answered "DRRUUUUUUUUUNNNNNK."?! He's the same one earlier in the video who's seen whooping like he's in line for the keg at a frat party. Nice! Way to represent....

L

When you are trying to do something with a purpose--like saving a landmark-its always good to know WHY what you are trying to do is important.

I would think that the checkered visor guy would feel like an ass when he saw himself on the news later...but I think that is expecting too much!!

PRESS RELEASE

SAVE THE TONGA ROOM RALLY AT SMUGGLER’S COVE SAN FRANCSICO
650 Gough Street (at McAllister), San Francisco, California
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 from 5:00 until 7-ish

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - To all concerned San Franciscans, Tiki freaks, Dionysians and Sybarites, midcentury fans, and rum aficionados; come one and come all to a gathering at Smuggler’s Cove (650 Gough St. San Francisco, CA 94102) on Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 starting at 5:00PM to sign a petition opposing the demolition of the Tonga Room to make way for a parking garage and yet more luxury condominiums. After you sign the petition, stay a while and enjoy a fantastic rum cocktail or two while you mix and mingle with like-minded people and listen to Exotica under the soft glow of Tiki torches and beachcomber lamps. Around 6:00 PM, Chris VerPlanck and Erica Schultz of S.O.S. Tonga will provide a brief update on efforts to save the Tonga Room and exhort you to contact your local supervisors and the president of the Historic Preservation Commission, urging them to designate the Tonga Room as a local San Francisco Landmark. Mahalo!

For more information, contact Chris VerPlanck at [email protected]

Is there an online petition for us out of towners ?

J

Are the organizers of the event aware that Smuggler's Cove only holds 49 people and that only 1/3 of those people will be within earshot at any given time? As much as I think giving business to Smuggler's Cove is a good idea in most cases, I can't imagine this is the best venue choice for a rally. 49 get in, 49 more stand outside bitching about not getting in.

M

I like the idea of one Thursday a month of going to the Tonga Room. I really enjoy going and feel bad when if falls of my radar. Count me in for a Thursday!

Aloha,

In between the thunderstorms over here we have been brainstorming ideas on how to give back to our loyal friends. We have decided that for the entire month of August all of our fellow Tiki Central members will not have to pay the cover charge at the door, and will be given %15 off the tab at the end of the night. Just make sure to say the secret password upon reservation/walk in to the host, to ensure you get your discount. The secret password is (Tiki Paradise) just be sure to keep it a secret amongst the tiki community so that we can offer further perks to you all.

Mahalo,
The Tonga Room

Pages: 1 31 replies