Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

March 15 th - Plant Trading Party 3 - 5 pm - Forbidden Island Patio

Pages: 1 11 replies

R

Hi All, I wasn't sure where to post this. It's not really a tiki event, but it is at a tiki bar and a lot of us grow tropical plants for our tiki rooms. So if you are a moderator and you think this should be in another topic, please by all means move it.

On to the good stuff...

Many folks – tikiphiles and non-tikiphiles alike – enjoy growing plants for the garden and for the house. But if you are a constant gardener like me, you’re probably cultivating also a collection of extra pots, seeds, bulbs, planters, and starts. What to do with all your surplus?

Well, bring it down to Forbidden Island from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. on March 15th for our first “plant, seed, and pot trading party,” hosted by Melissa (aka Retro Diva). Come join the green thumb brigade on the back patio as we swap garden goodies and superfluous flora!

Do you have some prolific varieties at home that have produced more than you can manage? Are you buried in buttercups, swimming in seeds, or drowning in dahlias? Whether your problem is too many monsteras or too few fuschias, someone at our party might just be the help you’ve been hoping for.

So come on down to Forbidden Island and get the phlox outta there!

Here are the guidelines:

Seeds - must be not be more than a year old and should be in labeled in some sort of container that tells what the variety is.

Plants and starts - please bring them in either a small pot or in a bag with dirt. Preferably they will be established starts so that they don't die right away on the person receiving them. Please inspect them for stowaways before you bring them. We don't want to give the bar's patio plants any unwanted guests nor do we want to infect the recipient's house plants. If you know the name and variety of the plant please label the plant with it. Yes some of us do have cool plants that we haven't a clue what they are.

Pots - should be relatively clean. Please do not bring any pots that had diseased or infested plants in them unless you've washed them in bleach.

This is a trading party, which means that money shouldn't be needed. It's up to you to negotiate a fair deal with your trade partner.

Forbidden Island is graciously allowing us the use of their patio for this event so please take generous advantage of the fantastic libations served inside at the bar.

Hopefully the rain will have subsided by the middle of March but, if it hasn't, we'll have some tents set up on the patio. I have no idea how popular this event will be so space under the tents is first come first serve.

Need an example? A small sampling of what I will be bringing is a variety of cannas, Monstera Alba plants, and a slew of veggie seeds.

Mahalo!

M

fun idea, I wish I worked out in the garden more.

R

On 2009-03-05 17:14, monet2u wrote:
fun idea, I wish I worked out in the garden more.

Come anyway. It's also for indoor plants. I would bet that you could trade a mai tai for a plant or two. :o) I know I'd give you plants for booze!

S

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I wish I could be there!!!
This stupid weather we had this winter in seattle has (I'm pretty sure) killed 2 palm trees, and I bet my canna's don't come back either. Luckily I was smart enough to bring in the bananas...

Dang I wanna come!! Im digging up my yard RIGHT NOW and have tons of plant starts to get rid of

Okay, we're going to be coming back from Napa that day, so I should be home by three.

I'll work on potting a whole bunch of things the week. I'd, for sure, have Black Taro, mint, a couple of Canna and New Zealand Impatients. I've also got veggie seeds. I can bring extra envelopes for those.

Anyone want a Japanese Maple seedling or Borage (the original official garnish for The Pimm's Cup) starters? I'd bring either, if someone is interested.

P

I am going to be working in my garden tomorrow. More of weeding my garden.

I don't have tropical , but I do have tons of Califronia natives in both plant and seeds.

Well see if i can get my butt down there.

What a really good idea!

My wife and I have got some very green thumbs... unfortunately Alameda is too far for such a good event...

On 2009-03-09 13:10, Haole'akamai wrote:
Okay, we're going to be coming back from Napa that day, so I should be home by three.

We'll be coming back from Napa too, I'm guessing from the same event. I'll be at FI around 2 pm to set up the tents. It's supposed to rain a little tomorrow, but I'm not sure what time it will start.

The event is rain or shine.

I potted up 3 varieties of canna, some ornamental striped grass, agave, monstera alba, and I'm working on separating seeds now.

We're really looking forward to this. And remember, it'll be followed by Project: Pimento live, who'll be playing from 4-6!!
One afternoon - two awesome events...only at Forbidden Island!!

bump!!

Okay, I'm packing up my car with plants. See y'all in a bit.

Pages: 1 11 replies