Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Outrigger canoe question?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I posted this on it's own so the tiki boat thread wouldn't get derailed but I'll post a pic there also. I was out junk'n today and came by this outrigger. Was just about to leave a thrift store where I rarely find anything. I had stopped in to check because " you never know ". Just thrown out on the shelf on top of a bunch of junk was the outrigger. 18" long, 8" wide and 4" tall. Okay the question is should I seal the model as it is raw balsa with no finish? The model is really detailed, tiny lashing cord that looks like braided cord and only wood pins to hold some parts together. Someone took a lot of time in the building of the model. I was thinking of an amber colored shellac or varnish. Any advice? I plan to hang the outrigger up in my lounge. Seems to be a vintage piece. Thanks for looking.

Very nice UT! In the first pic it looks purple, but then I see it is natural. I'd be tempted to cover it with a yellow varnish, but you'd have to cover the string too... but then a clear low gloss poly urethane would bring out color in the wood without making it look plastic and keeping the string natural looking... I think I'd do that.

My sister said the same thing about the color when she looked at the post. It's the lighting or lack of in Mi. this time of year. It is classic "raw balsa" color minus the dust and cobwebs I cleaned off. Thanks for the suggestions.

UT

Here are some better pics that show the detail and color. I had to do a little white glue restoration here and there. Sorry about the background but the light on my 1962 Tappan Fabulous 400 stove was the best in the house at the moment.

It shows you how advance they were back then.
Those "L" shaped wood stabilizers that support the rigger wrapped with rope, that looks like it would work like a modern day shock absorber to absorb the waves.
Way cool!

UT

Good eye! Those "L" shaped pieces were popped out when I got the canoe. I glued them back in place. They function like a hinge on the model and are able to move back and forth. Not sure if this is a reflection of the real canoe or just on the model. The amount of detail is great on this little model. I am glad I saved it from getting trashed on the junk shelf.

I went with an amber shellac. I need to do a little touch up here and there. I think the shellac gives it a warm vintage look and will go well in my home lounge. The first pic is the before with the unfinished balsa.

And after with the amber shellac.

Looks like you made the right decision Trav. I hope to bump into one like that for myself some day.

Pages: 1 7 replies