Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Viva Las Vegas 2009

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

Anyone going to VLV this year? Mr. Tikigoddess and I are going and are looking forward to it. Anyone want to meet up for a drink at the Orleans?

I'm not going, but there are other TC members who are.

I hope you know about Frankie's Tiki Bar in Vegas now.
if yer headed to vegas, you have to see that place.
no ifs ands or butts.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm going. In fact, I'm hosting my own cocktail party. Hope you can come out and enjoy a drink with us!

Thanks!
Java

Java’s Bachelor Pad and Bachelor Pad Magazine presents the
“Cocktails & Cheesecake Party 2009: Java’s Midnight Nightcap”
Another night of booze, babes, and burly-q!
THURSDAY, APRIL 9, 2009, at The Aruba

The Cocktails & Cheesecake Party returns to Las Vegas for a third time bringing you another night of burlesque, pin-ups, and jet set living!

This year’s Cocktails & Cheesecake Party is a midnight rendezvous featuring music, burlesque, photo opportunities with pin-ups, and all sorts of cocktail culture fun. This event will also celebrate the second year of publication of Bachelor Pad Magazine, the “Digest of Atomic Age Culture.” Several of the magazine’s pin-ups will be on-hand to autograph copies.

Past Cocktails & Cheesecake Parties, in 2006 and 2008, were huge hits receiving great press coverage from Las Vegas Weekly and Vegas Magazine.

Scheduled to perform are Bachelor Pad Magazine Issue 1 pin-up Betsey Bosen and issue 3’s Orchid Mei. . .Sin City’s own Cha Cha Velour and Ivy L'Vine. . . Bunny Bravo, 1st runner up 2008 Miss Viva Las Vegas Burlesque competition. . . Ravenna Black, “The Little Girl Who's ALL Grown Up”. . .“Heaven Sent, Hell Bent” Angela Ryan. . .and Vegas Burlesque Showgirl Kalani Kokonuts! Hosting the show is Java, the man behind Java’s Bachelor Pad and Bachelor Pad Magazine.

Vegas favorite, GooGoo Muck, will be spinning tunes. Sound and lighting will be provided by 2nd Life Entertainment.

This event is sponsored by Java’s Bachelor Pad, Bachelor Pad Magazine, The Burlesque Hall of Fame, BowlingShirt.com/Cruisin' USA, Black Corset Candles, Uncle Fezter’s Flowers, Fraternal Order of Moai, and The Atomic Age Alliance.

Come join us for this celebration of everything swinging!

WHEN: Thursday, April 9, 2009. Doors at 11pm. Show at midnight.
WHERE: The Aruba, 1215 S. Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas
COST: $10 at the door (21 and over)
MORE INFO: http://www.javasbachelorpad.com and http://www.bachelorpadmagazine.net

I will be there with Acey Tiki.

I'll be heading over to Frankies on Monday after Viva. Haven't established a time yet though, but working on that.
And, if you are in Vegas early, and need something to do before Java's party, I'm having a lil shindig too!!!
Come on by!

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 7:40 AM

I will be there with the all mighty KuBar and I will try my best to be behind the bar and not running around...

S

I'll be coming to the bar for sure!
Save me a mai tai please!
Pea

On 2009-03-16 10:06, sweetpea wrote:
I'll be heading over to Frankies on Monday after Viva. Haven't established a time yet though, but working on that.
And, if you are in Vegas early, and need something to do before Java's party, I'm having a lil shindig too!!!
Come on by!

SweatPea!!!!!!!!! That is an awesome poster for the hooch and smooch. I won't be attending and won't be hooching or smooching but I would LOVE a poster signed by the one and only Sweetpea! I'll trade ya a ride in the bird for it!!

I used to really dig VIVA till they came up with all those rules?!I know it's aparently for the safety of visitors and the legal department of the Orleans/Gold coast but still seems like a drag compared to what it was ....( not really missing the old days but what was wrong with them ? lol)
Here's to hoping the highlight of this years VIVA isn't being stuck behind some old square and his wife when yer trying to catch a great live show !
sorry dont mean to be negative , guess thats just another reason to spend more time at FRANKIES!
( now to see if I can find free airfare to Vegas lol )

S

What rules are ya talking about,
I've been going since the beginning, and really not much has changed, except a few things at the car show, which is good because really who needs broken glass all over the parking lot when ya got expensive tires on your vintage car, and really, all those poor dogs that were walking around on the hot pavement and no water dishes? poor dogs, I felt bad for them. I'm glad they aren't allowed this year, and maybe there's some more security inside, which is okay by me since someone got stabbed one year, and during a fight a slot machine got knocked over (I'm glad I wasnt walking by that right then. I'd be a pea pancake!)

to me alot of the problem is too many people in a small space.
Hopefully the move to the Orleans will alleviate that, but I dont' think it's really going to. but I still love the bands, and the dancing, and the cars, and visiting friends...
If ya make it down, come to the Hooch and Smooch!

L

I personally love the guys :wink:

But the only thing I do not love is the packing I have to do. I swear I am NOT going above 2 suitcases this year but I already have waaaaay too much stuff in mind to bring. Why can't I be a guy and bring 1 pair of jeans and 6 Lucky 13 shirts and be done with it ??

I can't wait!

I am really looking forward to this year's VLV. I will miss your party Sweet Pea as I arrive Friday morning. I love your poster and hopefully will run into you sometime during the weekend. I actually met you for the first time at VLV 5. I am not sure where the time went but it's been quite a ride. I will let my friend from Scranton know about your gig. He arrives earlier in the week and is a big fan of the Buzzards. I think VLV has made some great improvements over the years in organization and security. Hey Notch I always visit your big tiki at the car show. This is the first year I will actually have a room where the event is. No Shuttles or hiking over the freeway this year.

I love Viva. I don't mind a few rules if it means keeps everyone safe. Last year there was a pretty big fight that broke out where the shuttle picked you up. I got out of there as quick as possible, but it wasn't easy with so many ppl huddling around. We are planning on attending both Sweetpea's Smooch and Hooch and the Java Pad party.

S

Okay, got the plan for wednesday figured out. I have a Seattle caravan, so we will be leaving Ronnys, heading to the Welcome to Vegas sign, then we'll hit the freeway and hi-tail it to Frankies for about an hour.
See ya there!!!!

We'll be there!!

And there's this thread, too.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31647&forum=4&hilite=viva

Liz & Chris
Cambridge UK

[ Edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2009-03-28 05:52 ]

S

So here's a thread de-rail... anyone need a roomie last minute at the Orleans? I have a room, but would like to split it.

PM me. :) Mahalo!

Suzanne

S

I want Miss Suzanne there!!! but I already have a roomie, so maybe someone else can go and share the room with her! Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!!!
it will include a drink at Frankies... i'm buyin. hell, I'll get ya the fancy drink with the mug included if you go to vegas and share with her!

S

ACK! I'll be in Vegas this time next week, and have already been at Frankies! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Whoo else is in?

T

My wife & I are going. This will be our 1st Viva. We had been going to Paso every year, but last year in Santa Maria wasn't near as good. We are hope this will keep us coming back. We'll be on the lookout for fellow TCers.

Adam and I will be going!
We met at Viva 8 long years ago, so it's kind of a tradition. :)

Really looking forward to this year!
The food, air and pool at the Orleans are way better, so I welcome the change.
A little birdie told me about the band for the pool party this year. . . and it will be an awesome surprise! :wink:

We don't get in until Friday evening, so sadly we miss the Sweetpea (incredible flyer lady!) and Java parties. :(
Hoping to check out Frankie's either Friday night or early evening Saturday.
Anyone interested?

Hope to say hi and toast a drink with some TC'ers! ~Please say hi if you spot us, and we will do the same.

P.S. I was lucky enough to share a room with Suzanne at the Hukilau, and we had the time of our lives! If you need a roomie, Suzanne ROCKS!

I'm not going.
but would kinda like to.
there are 4 surf bands this year.
Aquasonics from Colorado.
Tequila worms and Rod and the Tonemasters from So. Cal.
and the Barbwires from Sweden.
please check them out and let me know how they were.
their new cd is amazing.

thanks
Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

atomickitty, you MUST DISH!!!!
this aint the viva site, only a few of us here going, so I think
you should let us in on the pool party band secret!

On 2009-04-03 22:43, sweetpea wrote:
atomickitty, you MUST DISH!!!!
this aint the viva site, only a few of us here going, so I think
you should let us in on the pool party band secret!

I agree!

S

Suzy, you are so sweet! :">

I found a roomie everyone, so I'm set, thanks!

Frankie's on WED is 100%... Suzy if you want to take a spin over there on Fri or Sat I'm sure I'm up for that too... but we gotta know about the pool party band! :wink: Give us a hint?

Can't wait to see all of you!

Suzanne

All right...almost there! We're leaving Thursday at 9 am, so we will be there in time for the Hooch N Smooch! Um...is it Thursday yet? These last three days are going to DRAG!

We are leaving tomorrow!

P
Pyro posted on Mon, Apr 6, 2009 2:30 PM

I will not make it this year (damn economy), but hope all you lucky people rememeber to post pics for those of us stuck at home.

I leave for Vegas tomorrow morning. During the weekend, I'll be twittering. Follow me here: http://twitter.com/javabachelor (Yeah, I'm a modern tech geek.)

If anyone wants to meet up at any point during Viva, just let me know! I've got some events I need to go to--namely the Cocktails and Cheesecake Party on Thursday--but most of the rest of my dance card is free.

I'd love to meet TC folks. Don't be shy!

Thanks!
Java

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 8:40 PM

We will Be arriving on Thursday with Ku-Bar in tow
Well find a nice spot for Ku-bar some ware then head out for sum drinking at Frankies. and Maybe Friday night also... Cant Wait!!Going to be good time's....
I also have some limited Roberto Bloody Loco Mugs I will be selling at Viva , 25 numbered Mugs only... I will post sum pics later tonight....
Cheers,Notch

I am back from VLV in one piece. FRANKIES TIKI BAR is great!!!! I wanted to move in and stay forever. Highlight at Viva for me was the Lance Lipinsky show, the Go Getters and The Crown Vic. Saw many other killer bands too. Visited Notch's tiki bar also.

S

Had a killin' time in Vegas! Good to see some of you there!

Suzanne

Any pics from you Rock-Cats at Frankies??

Don't be shy. It's a Double Down production.

Post them and be proud!

Liz & Chris on Wednesday night (54 house of bamboo)

With Suzanne on Friday

The gang on Friday

N

We had a great time at Viva!
Lots of cool cars and cool people were there and we had a blast at Frank's
Ben did an awesome job with the joint and all the art work and Carvings where Insane! Way to cool!
I didn't even want to leave after Five hours there, shoot, cant wait to go again....
Heres a pic of Mondo an Me outside the Orleans Saturday Night.. All dud-id up

Now THIS IS the way the tiki scene should be!!!

No one bitching bout nuttin!

Just having one hell of a time!!

Like is was in the old days!!

You all rock in my book!

T

Lookin' sharp as a tack, Notch! Remind me of the old Viva Las Vegas days when the cats even got dressed up. The kittens always get dolled up (lucky for us). I may go to the Rockabilly Rave in October since I missed VLV this time.

Who's complaining, Ben? :wink:

Here's a shot I took at the car show.... Came out pretty cool...
By the way, Frankies is unreal..... Totally perfect... There wasn't a THING that I would change. Nice work Ben and Moss!

S

Yeah, Frankie's kicked ass. Especially kicked my ass on Monday night... I have no clue how I got on my plane at all! I had a killer time the whole weekend, though.

Here are some of my photos.

Frankie's Neon:

Five gals, ten cocktails and a toast to Marty Lush, who texted us the recipe for a Demerara Dry Float:

Decor at Frankie's:

Suzanne and Sweetpea at the Pool party:

Atomikitty and Suzanne at the Car Show:

Suzanne with OA Poker Tiki:

Elwood, Suzanne and Jake:

VLV was great. We went to Frankie's twice and loved it soooooo much! Everyone who worked on it did such a great job! Met Notch and Mondo there the first night we went. Great guys! I got the whole set of tiki mugs and a shirt.

My vice is....... ALCOHOL! No surprise there!

Sitting at the bar.

Keep the drinks comin'!

Tiki Kupcake and AceyTiki

Back to Frankie's for another night.

Hula Honey and I go way back and we made plans to meet up at Frankie's the second night.

I love me some Frankie's Tiki Room!

We also hit Trader Vic's, Tahiti Joe's, the Aku Aku moai, and Notch's tiki bar.

S

bringing it back to the top for 2010!!!!
Who's doing Viva this year?
Will anyone be there Tuesday night?
Thinking about Frankies that night, unless more people are thinking
Wed night instead. Doing the Vegas sign around 1:30 that day, then to
Ronnys party till 6. Probably the Wild Party later that night,
so maybe Frankies on the way to the Wild show...
Anyone else?
Pea

The mister and I will be at VLV from Thurs thru Sun AM, will hit Frankies at some point. Probably during the day, as nites are devoted to pursuit of rockabilly and more rockabilly and still more rockabilly.

S

oh, and I meant 2011... my how the time flies! hahahaha
Hot pursuit of Rockabilly!!!
What time do you get in on Thursday,
come on upstairs to the bienville room for this
year's Hooch and Smooch!!!!

Wow, that sounds good thanks! We'll stop by. I like the Buzzards, I have their cd. "I'm goin' rockin' gonna see my baby tonite..."

Congatiki and friend will be making the trip from Wisconsin...
will only be there friday, saturday and sunday. More BLASTERS!

VLV is fast approaching, anyone else attending?

We are, (DeTIki Custom Carviings) and our purses will be featured in the Fashion show and Designers Showcase room. We wouldn't be at this point if it wasn't our support from or TC Ohana and success at the Hukilau and Oasis last year.

Nice when you get to check something off the ol' bucket list.

Can't wait to get to Vegas and see the Blasters again. If you battle to the front of
the stage for the Blasters set...looking for the old guy with the Benzart Maori pendant
around his neck....that'll be me!

Pages: 1 2 49 replies