Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Ti Drink Price increase

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

T

Anyone else in here annoyed that the Tiki Ti raised their already high drink prices ?

Of course, they're stellar drinks, but $18 for some of them.....Shouldn't you get a Mug with that for that price ?

I'm just sayin'.

Ditto :)

It's just another sign of the awful economy at the moment. If Tiki-Ti were larger it may not have needed to happen as they could get more customers out of line and in the door.

Tikiyaki, if you factor in the gas money you use to drive to your beloved Sam's the Konacomber it's probably not that different except for the drink quality. :wink:

On 2009-03-08 09:31, tikiyaki wrote:
Of course, they're stellar drinks, but $18 for some of them.....Shouldn't you get a Mug with that for that price ?
I'm just sayin'.

And a Tiki Ti Mystery Lady lap dance too.
I'm just sayin'!

T
Tattoo posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2009 1:23 PM

I found it a bit much. I usually see those prices for bars that press fresh juice and only use top shelf liquor. I think they add another $2 if you do ask for a top shelf rum. I guess you're paying to support an institution and not really for the drinks. I don't mind paying those prices once in awhile but we've definitely been going less. However, having said that, it seemed plenty busy last time we were there.

P

The Ray's Mistake is still $9. It looks like it is going to become even more popular now.

The state is assessing new taxes on liquor. It is going to get more expensive everywhere. Smaller places like Tiki Ti are going to feel the pressure more.

They also added a new drink to the menu, "Tiki Side Kick". It is one of the more expensive ones. Tiki Ti's drink prices now put it up there with Trader Vic's and Luau. But based on the crowd there last night, it has not hurt business, at last so far. But yes, I will probably be a bit less regular there now.

Are you serious ? Maybe we should ask Mike to pour us some pitchers of bud light .

T

On 2009-03-08 11:03, Bora Boris wrote:
It's just another sign of the awful economy at the moment. If Tiki-Ti were larger it may not have needed to happen as they could get more customers out of line and in the door.

Tikiyaki, if you factor in the gas money you use to drive to your beloved Sam's the Konacomber it's probably not that different except for the drink quality. :wink:

No, At Kona/Sam's/Don's I get GREAT Happy Hour food, cheap, way better decor, a seat (hard to get at the Ti) and a smoke free Tiki wonderland to bask in.
At the Tiki Ti, you just get great drinks., and not for nothin' they don't use fresh fruit juice that someone mentioned.
Those drinks are great no doubt, but I don't think the price increase is justified.

As a one drink kinda guy, I'll spend the gas money for the better overall experience.

That being said, with the low overhead that the Ti has, and their cash only policy, I seriously doubt they're seeing any of the "economic downturn" that most places are getting.

But hey, if you feel like dropping your entire paycheck there....Go for it. :o

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-03-08 23:43 ]

R

high prices put most establishments out of business--tiki-ti is not one of them--yet- it's a fine line that when it's crossed???it's tough to come back from-- there are a lot of businesses out there that have done well for years that are now belly up.look at all our tiki temples that have fallen by the wayside--i love tiki-ti and will save my $$$ to go there- i will only have 1 drink instead of three to make up for it.

T
TS

I know the Mikes' are at the Ti bright and early like 9am-ish preparing for that business night patrons. My understanding was that they do use fresh fruit juice(when available), and obviously they also use fresh fruit(except cherries)for their garnishes, such as the pineapple, limes, etc...You can search for a better exotica/polynesian drinking establishment, but you will find none in the greater Los Angeles area. For example, order a redbull/vodka next time in Hollywood from any club/bar, and you'll pay about $15 for something much less palatable. In this perspective, Tiki Ti isn't all that bad on prices. They just may finally be catching up to the areas long going pricing.

And for fairness, instead of comparing happy hour prices to full prices at other establishments, why not compare full price for full price, or pound for pound...What are Sam's the Kona Beachcomber's regular non-happy hour prices, and do the drink's taste really compare to Tiki Ti? I had a(1) Mai Tai from Kona, and it was very........well, put it this way, I've had better. Love the environment of both establishments, but I can't say the same for the drinks from my experience.

T

On 2009-03-09 10:00, Tom Slick wrote:
I know the Mikes' are at the Ti bright and early like 9am-ish preparing for that business night patrons. My understanding was that they do use fresh fruit juice(when available), and obviously they also use fresh fruit(except cherries)for their garnishes, such as the pineapple, limes, etc...You can search for a better exotica/polynesian drinking establishment, but you will find none in the greater Los Angeles area. For example, order a redbull/vodka next time in Hollywood from any club/bar, and you'll pay about $15 for something much less palatable. In this perspective, Tiki Ti isn't all that bad on prices. They just may finally be catching up to the areas long going pricing.

And for fairness, instead of comparing happy hour prices to full prices at other establishments, why not compare full price for full price, or pound for pound...What are Sam's the Kona Beachcomber's regular non-happy hour prices, and do the drink's taste really compare to Tiki Ti? I had a(1) Mai Tai from Kona, and it was very........well, put it this way, I've had better. Love the environment of both establishments, but I can't say the same for the drinks from my experience.

No question that the drinks at the Ti are Superior to anywhere else. (except the Mai Kai). I'm not trying to bash the Ti, I just feel like the price hike is a little unreasonable.
But, when you spend that money at the Mai Kai (full price OR half) , you get the whole Mai Kai experience...the sarong wearing waitresses, the amazing decor etc.
At the Ti, you get the drink, a few lungfulls of smoke and if you're lucky, a place to sit.

Kona's drink prices are way less. Quality...that's another story, but let's see what happens with the change to Don's. Being that the the owner of Don The Beachcomber/Kona was sitting at the bar of the Ti having a drink Saturday, I'm guessing he's taking notes and doing the homework, and hopefully the drinks at Don's will be top notch too.

Either way, if the price increase doesn't bother you, then cool, drink away !

On 2009-03-08 12:38, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2009-03-08 09:31, tikiyaki wrote:
I'm just sayin'.

And a Tiki Ti Mystery Lady lap dance too.
I'm just sayin'!

Unga, I wouldn't accept a lap dance from any "Mystery Lady" in that neighborhood.
I'm just sayin'!

TS

I'm not doing cartwheels over the higher prices at the Ti, either...In fact, I'll have to allow the Tiki Ti funds jar(pickle jar) build up even more now. But, I will add this, I'll take the quality over quantity everytime, so long as there is unmistakable taste difference. I'll just have to save a little more to do so.

Thank god for Coinstar.....:lol:

It's a shame that prices are rising everywhere!

Carl's Jr is even starting to break the bank ;P

T

On 2009-03-09 12:47, Dartin Menny wrote:
It's a shame that prices are rising everywhere!

Carl's Jr is even starting to break the bank ;P

Del Taco baby !

T

double post.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-03-09 13:30 ]

M

its a great way to turn away customers.

you can serve them a drink at a lower price and take a profit decrease...

or you can lose the customer entirely and not sell them anything at all.... thus you earn zero.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.