Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Rum & Brandy mix, 1988 vintage? What can I do with this?

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

Bought two bottles of this (all they had) for the original marked price of $10.99 from a little mom'n pop liquor store in San Jose, when I was there in January.

Front label says "Trader Vic's Personal Selection RUM & BRANDY. A mix, 70% rum, 30% brandy" and "Prepared & bottled by Trader Vic's Products Co., San Jose, CA". Back says: "Some of the finest drinks I know of call for rum and a jigger or so of brandy. But a lot of people don't know which kind of rum and brandy, or how much to use. To make it easy, I've combined just the right amounts of each in my Rum and Brandy blend. Try this superb blend in this classic cold weather favorite.", after which it gives a Tom & Jerry recipe - two, actually, one in which you make the batter, and one calling for Trader Vic's brand batter.. Bottom of the back label says "copyright 1988 by Trader Vic's" and "Park, Benziger & Company - River Edge, NJ"

Neat stuff. Smells good. But what can I do with it? Anyone else have experience with this?

The same store also netted me some 1970s DeKuyper "Cherry Liqueur", a deep, rich red with a fresh cherry smell, not candy-like at all, more like mildly alcoholic cherry juice - really grand stuff. And also, I've seen the vintage 80s Apple Barrel schnapps, but this is (also 80s) DeKuyper Harvest Pear. Clear and sweet, again not candy-like, but liquid pear. One bottle of each. They also had some 80s DeKuyper "Margarita flavored schnapps" complete with very non-PC Mexican in a sombrero and serape sleeping under a saguaro - sounds nasty, but I may buy some on my next trip, just for the bottle!

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2009-03-10 08:55 ]

A

The first item is interesting. In Trader Vic's '72 bartending guide he writes about Habanero Rum, a product that was made in Mexico that was a combination of rum and brandy. Habanero Rum is no longer commercially made, and I wonder if this TV product was a way of replacing it.

T

I wouldn't be surprised, if drinks were made that used this Habanero Rum product. Are there drinks listed in the guide that use it?

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2009-03-11 08:45 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies