Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki-A-Thon at Forbidden Island - March 22nd

Pages: 1 15 replies

Forbidden Island proudly presents "Let's be Frank" A Tiki-a-Thon for our pal, Frank Noviki

Featuring music by:
Frank Novicki
Members of APE
Apocalypso Now
Frank Shig's Top Secret Surf Combo
A Rippin' Link Wray Tribute
plus more!!

All hosted by your MC Will The Thrill from Thrillville

Minimum donation at door: $15

Frank Novicki, longtime Bay Area musician known for his work with the bands APE, and The MaiKai Gents needs your help. A perfect storm of calamity starting with a Xmas layoff and the ongoing economic recession has pushed our man Frank to the brink of disaster. Luckily, The Spirit of Tiki is strong and is stepping up to help out our friend Frank.

Come to an early afternoon fundraiser and enjoy great live music, the finest Tiki cocktails in the world, plus a raffle of prizes including actual artifacts from Frank's own flea market-driven life, titillating items from burlesque superstar Kitten on the Keys , a Wine Country Escape donated by Luka Grogg and Judd's Hill Winery , and a Grand Prize of Tiki Objects created by the legendary artist Crazy Al !

Raffle tickets $1 each! Event starts promptly at noon! 21 and over! If you own a uke, feel free to bring it!

Sunday March 22nd
Noon to 3pm

Aloha!

Sounds great!

Can we start buying our raffle tickets now, or will they only be sold on the day of the event?

Unfortuneately, I can't make it as I'll be out of town. Give my best to Frank. He's my favorite uke player! Can I buy raffle tickets even if I'm not there?

T

Count me in!

On 2009-03-10 09:46, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Can I buy raffle tickets even if I'm not there?

Nope, sorry. Got to be there to win!!

This just in from Frank:

My Tiki Concert this Sunday, March 22 at The Forbidden Island in Alameda, just keeps getting better. In addition to the fabulous prizes donated by the likes of Kitten On The Keys, Iuka Grogg and all at Judd's Hill Winery, and a bunch of goodies from Crazy Al Evans, I am proud to announce a prize package from my favorite clothing company, ADRIFT! Owner and founder Marcus Tingle has graciously donated several shirts and and stickers from his ultra cool Tiki-themed catalog. I wear ADRIFT stuff on-stage and around town a lot, so you've probably seen me in my ADRIFT Tiki togs at one time or another.

Remember, the show runs from noon to 3PM this SUN., 3/22. The raffle begins at 2:15 and you MUST be present to win.

Hope to see you there!

Frank Novicki

Thanks for all the support both on TC and via email and phone calls. It's gonna be a great time this Sunday!

A few guitar geeks have been asking some questions, so here's a few pics of some of the guitars I'll be playing this weekend.

Thanks for everything,

Frank

That's my Fender Mustang autographed by my two biggest guitar heroes, Dick Dale and Link Wray.

And that is my Supro plastic monstrosity that I'll be playing the Link songs on.

Here are a few of the prizes that will be raffled off at 2:15 this SUN afternoon at Forbidden Island. These ones, in particular, are things I bought at flea markets and thrift shops over the years!

Here's a prize for the bowling fanatic:

And here's something to get the luau started at your place this summer:

And here is something for the aspiring instrumental guitarist: The first Ventures LP, an LP and original sheet music from Duane Eddy, and a numbered copy of one of the rarest surf albums ever - The Shockwaves "Primal Twang." Only 300 copies produced!

T

Wow, this is great! I will be there! What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I've had a terrible headache I just can't seem to shake all day. I hope it's been a great success and I'm sorry I've had to miss it.

T

Some pictures from Lets Be Frank-- great music, live chimps, great fun and painkillers for lunch!

Frank Shig's Top Secret Surf Combo

4 Apes = 1 Chimp

Frank's warming up

Mitch gets crazy

Fun with guitars

Some man-love happening after the show

And a little sugar for me and Frank

I have to say that Frank, in all his different bands, was in top form and it was a great afternoon and great people to spend it with. I enjoyed Chimp way more than I've ever enjoyed Ape. And at times, I wish I knew some syncopation. (Soon, soon.)

Wow, what a great time! Thanks to all who made it!! The bands were awesome and the raffle prizes were top notch.
Frank's surf band, in particular, was exceptional. Their rendition of "Ghost riders in the sky" is still playing out in my head!! We're talking with them about possibly headlining an upcoming "Surf Day at Forbidden Island" event this summer. Details TBA.

Here's some pics:

Chimp going Ape-sh*t

Frank belting out some killer surf guitar - you rock baby!!

What someone around us called "tiki queens"

or were they referring to this one?

Aloha and mahalo from Frank. Thank you so much to all of you who attended my little shindig at the Forbidden Island yesterday (SUN 3/22/09). I had a great time playing my guitar and uke and hanging out with all of you!

There's so many people to thank, so here it goes:

First and foremost props go out to Mike Pacheco who played bass in two of the bands and helped me haul all the gear. How many musicians do you know who would willingly get up at 9AM on a Sunday and drive 20 miles to a gig for no money? I only know one person like that. His name is Mike Pacheco.

There was an abundance of great drummers in attendance. In fact, the three most talented drummers I have ever known were there: Shig Sumiyama, Mike Burns, and Kevin Woodhouse. I won't rank them by number. Sometime soon they're going to have a fight to the death and the last guy standing will be declared the greatest drumme r ever. More details soon.

The tropical quintessence of the Tiki-inspired cocktails was perfectly complimented by the musical stylings of Apocalypso Now. Bandleader Michael McMorrow played steel drums and smokin' jazz guitar, while famed ranconteur John Poultney plucked guitar and warbled something resembling vocals on the microphone. Such are the things Island Dreams are made of.

Did I mention the raffle prizes? There were nearly a dozen prizes and I must thank the people who were so kind to donate: Kitten On The Keys, Iuka Grogg & Judd's Hill Winery, Crazy Al Evans, Miles Corbin from The Aqua Velvets, Steve Indig from New Wave City, and Melanie Tobin from Vima Dance Studio.

I personally donated what I thought was a great prize : Win A Date with Frank Novicki. The woman who won the prize felt compelled to come up to me later and discreetly tell me that she didn't actually feel like going on a date with me. Jeez! I can't even give it away!

The thrilling conclusion of the afternoon was a performance by CHIMP - the smaller but still dangerous version of APE. Crazy AL and Eric Rindal were unable to appear, but Mitch Tobias, Kevin, Lane and I powered forward like Nordic Vikings on our way to a pillaging. The absence of flying wood chips did not seem to detract in the slightest from our collective desire to prove that less, indeed, is actually more.

And thanks are due to a couple of uke players who strummed us happily into the waning moments of our little Sunday concert: Erich Sylvester, the Human Victrola and lover of music your grandma did naughty things to back in the day, and the Fez-bedecked croaking and crooning of the legendary Tiki King. Thank you both for the awesome uke tunes!

Special thanks go out to F.I. Owner Michael Thanos for all his hospitality, MC Will The Thrill for his grumpy-but-loveable commentary, Tiki Mary and Alex for production assistance and videography, my doorman Skip, my ravishing raffle ticket girl Ruby, and to all who attended and smiled and laughed as much as I did. Thank you all! Let's do it again soon!

Frank Novicki

MT

I've been seriously lagging on posting my photos. Better late than never, here are some of my pics of Frank rippin' it up:

Frank impresses Will with his emcee skills

Good times!!!

Pages: 1 15 replies