Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Publishing Opportunity

Pages: 1 16 replies

A
ash77 posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 1:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I am working on a Masters degree at Central Saint Martins in London and for my dissertation I am designing a hypothetical exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum, and I will also be publishing a corresponding catalog (200+ pages) to go along with the exhibition. Being a fan of Polynesian Pop and all things tiki for nearly half my life and given total free reign to chose whatever topic I want, I decided this would be a perfect opportunity to work on a major project I really cared about. My project will focus on the Polynesian Pop movement of the mid-20th century rather than today. In my catalog, in addition to the essays I have already included (previously published by Sven Kirsten and Boyd Rice), my professor just informed me that it would be "much better" if I could also include previously unpublished essays or memoirs about this topic. I just found out about this on Monday, so I thought I would appeal to the good and knowledgeable people of Tiki Central and give them an opportunity to publish their writings in a final project for arguably the UK's most prestigious art and design school. Unfortunately I will need to receive all entries by the weekend of March 20 (I really apologize for the short notice). It will be possible for participants to get a copy of the finished book (I will need to check on the price, or you could get a PDF for free). I would be extremely grateful for any help given, and please contact me with any questions, suggestions, etc.

Thank you very much!
--Ashley

Very cool, Ashley! Your research of Tiki Central will reveal to you which members are the accomplished writers and which are capable of no more than silly, un-helpful posts like this one. (Ha!) No really, best of luck with your project!

A
ash77 posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 3:04 AM

Haha, even silly replies are welcome :D I've had positive feedback from several people on Tiki Central and I'm just pleased for the interest in my project - lets me know I'm on the right track and will give me confidence to defend my dissertation in April!
Thanks again for your reply!
--Ash

Aloha,

If you are looking for academic submissions, you might want to create a CFP (Call For Papers) and post it on one of the following two academic sites as well if you haven't already done so...

http://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/

http://www.h-net.org/announce/group.cgi?type=CFPs

A
ash77 posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 4:42 AM

Thank you so much for that, I wasn't aware of that option! I'll look around and see if I can find others :)
--Ash

T

The man you need is Trader Jeff on TC.
He writes for Tiki mag.
I have gone with him on some interviews.
He has a lot of what you need.

A
ash77 posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 5:40 AM

Oh great - I'll track him down and see what he says :)
Thanks so much for the tip!!
--ash

On 2009-03-11 05:32, tikiskip wrote:
The man you need is Trader Jeff on TC.
He writes for Tiki mag.
I have gone with him on some interviews.
He has a lot of what you need.

Actually, I go by Jeff Central on TC. Trader Jeff is my name on the FOM site.

I'm not a writer but I play one on TC! :lol:

I would like to hear more about this project.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

A
ash77 posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 5:31 AM

That clears things up because I wasn't able to locate you anywhere! Haha :)
So - for my project I am including parts of Kirsten's 'Book of Tiki' as an Introduction, the article called "Paradise Lost" written by Boyd Rice in 'Taboo: The Art of Tiki', and two articles about Hawaiian shirts and Polynesian food written by Jane and Michael Stern in 'The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste'. I am also writing an essay about the topic in general.
It's supposed to be a catalog to go along with an exhibition, so just think of the books you can buy in a museum store after you see an exhibition. The exhibition is divided into the following subjects which are covered in the catalog:

Introduction
Brief history (up to approx. 1935)
Kon-Tiki Expedition
Advertising
Tiki mugs/ceramics
Hula dolls
Major tiki establishments
• Trader Vic’s
• Don the Beachcomber
• Mai Kai
Architecture, Interiors, Googie
Hotels
Menus
Napkins
Swizzle sticks
Clothing
Jewelry
Pin-ups
Music
Photos
Postcards

There will also be a bar serving tropical cocktails at the exhibition, and I have included about a dozen tiki drink recipes in the back of the catalog. So basically, any essays, articles or writings on any of these subjects would be great for inclusion in the catalog!
Let me know of any other questions, concerns, etc.
:D Ash

T

I want one of those books!

And sorry bout the Jeff thing.
You should hear what we call him when he's not around.

A
ash77 posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 6:53 AM

I figured it was something like that :wink:
I'm more than happy to let people know how much the books will be once I send them off to be printed.... which is rapidly approaching! Eeep!

A
ash77 posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 6:55 AM

.... but yeah, with so many sub-sets being included, the more writing I can include the better! It doesn't have to be super-lengthy or anything.

Hey - let me know when the "hypothetical exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum" is on and I'll take the pretend train to London and enjoy a wander around in my head.

Joking apart - sounds like great project. Nice to see it happening in the UK.

Put me down for a book.

Maybe some sneaky page pics if you get a chance :)

Ash:
I hope you find enough of other people's work to satisfy your professors. Doing the work for a degree yourself is such a drag. Please change at least one thing: You put Trader Vic ahead of Don the Beachcomber, "the founder of Tiki," in your table of contents. Don started his place in 1933. Trader Vic claims to have opened his "Hinky-Dink Bar" in Oakland in 1934, and starting in 1937, he changed the name to "Trader Vic's" and did his best to copy Don's theme, and tried his best to copy (without success) Don's "QB Cooler" and gave it a new name.
Art Snyder, CEO
Don The Beachcomber Industries, LLC
PS: You can taste the original of both the "QB Cooler" and Don's other great drinks at the new Don The Beachcomber at SURF CITY USA, starting next week.

A
ash77 posted on Fri, Mar 13, 2009 2:04 AM

Oh that wasn't in the exact order of how things are going to be in the catalog; I know that Don the Beachcomber predates Trader Vic's :) (thanks for checking though!)
Initially I was unaware I would be required to find so much outside work, but my professors said that I am taking the role of the curator in this project, and the curator's job is to organize the exhibition, choose objects for display, and find relevant essays and written works by experts in the field to include in the book. Wish I'd known about that sooner, because now I'm scrambling!
Thanks for your reply and the tips on the drinks! (always appreciated)

[ Edited by: ash77 2009-03-13 02:05 ]

T

I wish I knew about this sooner I could have sent you some
tiki bar lights.

Asley, if there is any physical stuff we may be able to help out with give us a shout!
Good luck

Pages: 1 16 replies