Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Don The Beachcomber Day 1 - March 16th!!!

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

This from an email blast from Don The Beachcomber

KONA Restaurant becomes Don the Beachcomber this Monday, March 16!

To our friends and neighbors,

We are about to open the first Don the Beachcomber on the mainland in almost 30 years. What an exciting time this is. For this historic restaurant to get a new lease on life and with such an iconic name as Don the Beachcomber is nothing short of incredible! While the KONA name was short lived the history of Sam's Seafood began way back in 1922 as a huge roadside seafood restaurant complete with their own fishing fleet. Sam's was remodeled into the Polynesian themed restaurant that we know today after a fire in 1959, over 30 years AFTER the first Don the Beachcomber restaurant had opened.

Stop by this weekend as we say farewell to KONA and say Aloha to Don the Beachcomber as you relax and sip an authentic Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai (the original recipe from the 30's). We are beginning the changeover as you read this. Our new signs are scheduled to be installed this Sunday with new menu's begining Monday. We're excited to introduce Don the Beachcomber to all of our friends and neighbors and we can't wait another day! We will be open 7 days a week!

Mahalo,

Susan & Chuck Purrington
Art & Delia Snyder

St. Patrick's Day at a Hawaiian Restaurant?
St Patty's Day Beachcomber Style!

There's plenty of Irish around here! Our owners and managers to start. Wanna celebrate with us at Don the Beachcomber's first annual St. Patricks Day? This place knows how to party!

Take a shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey and any Draft Beer $5.00!

Guiness Pub Draft and Harp $3.00!

Corned Beef, Cabbage and Potatoes $2.95!

1/2 off Mai Tai's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget it's HAPPY HOUR ALL DAY LONG!

This Friday dine with us and be entertained by the award winning Tupua.

The soothing, relaxing sounds and beautiful Tupua Hula Dancer will take you back to the Islands. Join us for a great dinner and enjoy the complimentary entertainment!

Don the Beachcomber makes it's official return to Surf City USA this Monday, March 16, 2009!

The innovator of the Tiki/Polynesian theme restaurant has made the return to the Mainland from an almost 30 year absence! Join us this Monday and Tuesday as we celebrate this triumphant return!

OUR KONA SPECIALS WILL CONTINUE THIS WEEKEND!

Sunset Dinners: Choose from 6 great dinners. Your choice $10.95
Dinner for 2, $39.95: Appetizer for 2, soup or salad, entree AND Dessert for 2.
Happy Hour: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday ALL DAY, Thursday - Saturday 4pm to 7pm.
Sunday Luau Brunch Buffet - Live Polynesian entertainment by Tupua, free flowing Champagne and a huge buffet! $26.95 adults kids 3-10 $4.95 Make your Easter Brunch reservations now!

What a great new chapter we are about to embark on!

Mahalo Sams!
Mahalo Kona!
Aloha Don!

New location already mentioned in Wikipedia

Wikipedia: Don the Beachcomber

Cool.

Hope to be there next week...

A

I hope the owners promote the hell out of this place. The return of Don the Beachcomber, the tiki bar that started it all, should be big news. Call the LA Times, LA/OC Weekly, Orange County Register, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure they're on it Arriano. This IS big news, and we all should be stoked about it. The big promo blitz will start later on in a few months, from what I can ascertain. Right now is a transition period from Kona to Don's.

Good news is the drink menu and decor are taking big steps up.

R

i hope they have a bunch of new mugs!!!

That's awesome. I can't wait to meet Don.

Wishing you a big time opening from up north!

On 2009-03-12 11:29, tikiyaki wrote:
The big promo blitz will start later on in a few months, from what I can ascertain. Right now is a transition period from Kona to Don's.

So there will probably be a humongous grand opening party sometime in the near future? I hope!

yeah Tikiyaki for the grand opening,
what the hell, get Martini kings, Smokin Menehunes, Hula Girls, Exotiki,
and King Kuklele and the friki tikis and well have a Lavapalooza.

as for this Monday.
I'm there.
who's in?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

HT

New picture of Don The Beachcomber sign

wow!!!

Where good Rum is immortalized and drinking is an art.
thats sounds mighty fine to me.

who's in for Monday.
I will be there at 3 or so,
testing out the new drinks.
if people show up at 6 or 7.
I should be under the table or on the floor.
how's that for art?
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm both excited and a little scared. I hope it lives up to expectations. It'll come down to the drinks... and its not like there are tons of tiki proficient bartenders out there with a passion for the art. crosses fingers

We previewed a few of the drinks...see here...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31530&forum=2&3

Don't expect to walk into Don The Beachcomber and be in a completely different place. They are remaining open during the transition and things will be changing over the next few months, some immediate and some slowly.

The food menu is changing slightly and will continue to change for the next few months. The new Don drinks will be rolled out 10 for now and up to 60 exotics by the time they are done.

Bamboo Ben will be working on the interior to tiki it up from where it is now. Not sure when that will start or end though. We shall see

Having said that, order the new Don's cocktails when you go and you will NOT be dissapointed!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2009-03-14 22:50 ]

so looking forward to this.

I'm surprised more people are not chiming in on going monday.

do we need to start a new roll call thread?

wtf?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm going to try and be there on Monday...

The Luau Brunch Buffet sounds fab! I'm seriously thinking about making the trek Tuesday for st patrick's day! $5 Jameson & beer--what a deal!

Ok Jim here is the $64,000 question. How are the drink prices?

HT

Weelcome Don Beach to HB

HT

welcome Don Beach HB

Its official like a referee whistle!

T

Whoa...where's the stellar Tiki Diablo "ALOHA" sign on the front?

I drove past Sam's on the way to Long Beach on Saturday night. I was pleasantly surprised by the big 'Don the Beach' sign! The marlin wasn't lit though... I wonder what the plan is for that? I heard that they were gonna keep it, right? It would be a shame to get rid of something THAT iconic.... especially when it's already there for you to exploit!
Can't wait.... Maybe I'll spin by after my auto body class on Monday night.... What time are they gonna be open till?

T

On 2009-03-15 02:29, bigtikidude wrote:
so looking forward to this.

I'm surprised more people are not chiming in on going monday.

do we need to start a new roll call thread?

wtf?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey BigTikiDude!

We're going to be at Disneyland with family on Monday, but we're definitely planning on a trip to the Beachcomber afterward... we'll probably be there around 6mp... should we look for you under a table?

oooh, I'll have to check it out next time I'm down south. Wishing you all the best!

Bump for tonight.
who's in.
I'll be in the bar.
probably from 4 pm on.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Bueller?
anyone?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

You can tell where they put the new sign right over the old Sams sign,
why they did that other then trying to save a few bucks is beyond me.

T

On 2009-03-16 15:21, 1961surf wrote:
You can tell where they put the new sign right over the old Sams sign,
why they did that other then trying to save a few bucks is beyond me.

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla.

Blah Blah Blah...... back at yah Jimbo.I will be meeting with Chuck in the next several
days to discuss a big event I am planning to put on at the new Don if all goes well.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-03-16 15:42 ]

T

On 2009-03-16 15:39, 1961surf wrote:
Blah Blah Blah...... back at yah Jimbo.I will be meeting with Chuck in the next several
days to discuss a big event I am planning to put on at the new Don if all goes well.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-03-16 15:42 ]

Bill...be sure to point out the sign issue...he'll love that.

A gift horse this big very rarely shows up in your backyard. Don't fret the dental work my friend.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-03-16 15:57 ]

I do agree with you 100% on that one JIMMY . I am just happy its staying open...period!

enuff squabblin' ,
who's goin' 2nite?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

SoccerTiki is at Don the Beachcomber right now. I'm sure he will have a full report for everyone tonight :) WooHoo!!

1861 surf. The issue wasn't a few bucks. The state of the sign as it sits now is temporary . The orange background will be carved to match and a large bamboo border is yet to be installed. The old sign is a integral part to the overall structure of the old sign.

I couldn't make it Monday. Would anyone like to come sit in the Bar on Thurs.? In time for Happy Hour?

HT

It is great to have Don Beach in HB

also new Don Beach Mug

R

nice to see at least a name drop tiki mug--that's a good sign we will see new dtb mugs in the future i hope...

RR

On 2009-03-15 18:08, tikiyaki wrote:
Whoa...where's the stellar Tiki Diablo "ALOHA" sign on the front?

It is sitting in the back room.

Is that mug available now??

I heard that the mugs with the Don the Beachcomber on them,
were done in a small amount,
so if you want one get down there asap.
I think its 18 bucks for a mug with a drink in it.
14 without a drink.

the Mai Tai's are great. NOT a TVs Mai Tai, but great.
the Cherry Blossom is super sweet and pink, a very good girly drink.
I didn't care for it.

and if Ryan is there behind the bar,
the Vicious Virgin is pretty good.

good turnout of about 20 or so TC people last night.
I never ended up under the table.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-03-17 10:06 ]

S

Too much "blah, blah, blah". Where's the friggin' pix????? Nobody cares about drink reviews on this board! We want public displays of drunkenness dammit!!!!

I have a digital camera, but I always forget it.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BigTikiDude,
"Girly drink"? What were you sippin'? The Cherry Blossom Punch that Tikiyaki and I has was very well crafted and not too sweet.

On 2009-03-17 10:31, Digitiki wrote:
BigTikiDude,
"Girly drink"? What were you sippin'? The Cherry Blossom Punch that Tikiyaki and I has was very well crafted and not too sweet.

Yeah, the Cherry Blossom Punch.
sorry just not my thing.
drinks like that give me an instant headache.
may be fine for some.
but I will pass on it next time.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

By the fourth Mai Tai I had decided they were pretty good. Next time I'll have to experiment with the other drinks. I can't believe I didn't get a mug!

Pages: 1 2 60 replies