Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Theme from Jungle Book (Disney movie)

Pages: 1 8 replies

The other night I watched Walt Disney's the Jungle Book and became enchanted with the opening music which is an instrumental. From what I could find of it over at Jungle Book wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book_(1967_film)

It appears the song is called "The Jungle Book Overture." This is a beautiful song. Has anyone else seen the movie and heard the song I'm talking about?

I'd love to have this on a CD. the wiki lists some of the songs from the movie that have been released on various compilations, but this song isn't one that's listed. I remembered having the Jungle Book album when I was a kid but that isn't listed there, so perhaps this is not a complete listing of releases.

Is anyone aware of this song ever being covered by the likes of Authur Lyman, Denny, etc., or of it ever being available anywhere on any Exotica/Lounge era LP?

TM

Your's truly. I performed an almost note for note version of this song including the bass flute. It is one of my favorite jungle exotica tracks of all time. That one and the theme from "Hatari". I have posted about these songs before.

Lucas, I think he needs the name of the album you recorded it on :)

TM

It's called "live from my bedroom/studio". I record songs all the time, exotica, rockabilly, jazz, bossa nova, etc. I am sure some of my band members can chime in about what they sound like.

D

I have the Overture on my IPOD (downloaded from I Tunes), and you can order the soundtrack from Amazon. Which does include the Overture.

(May be better to move this topic over to Tiki Music...?)

On this note, so to speak, I can highly recommend both Miklos Rozsas' 1942 "Jungle Book" suite (on a Varese Sarabande release that also includes cues from his superb "Thief of Baghdad", and, Basil Poledouris' sweeping and wonderfully lyrical score to the 1994 Jason Scott Lee
"Jungle Book" remake. The latter may require (for some tastes) a bit of light editing for casual listening (a couple of the action cues are pretty intense), but "Mowgli" (3), "Kitty" (5), and "Civilization" (7) are truly enchanting, and very evocative of the Jungle Book tales, IMHO. Not exotica, but still quite transporting...

I agree, this is a great soundtrack and when I watched the Jungle Book a few years back I fell in love with the song.

You can get it on iTunes, although you may need to buy the entire soundtrack to get it.

D

Yes it is one of those great sleeper exotica tunes. Sleeper because its right up there with the classic exotica sound but not that well known/ You can download just that track from iTunes.

BTW - the composer is George Bruns, the same guy who did the scores for Cinderella and Lady & The Tramp, etc. He did a Hawaiian album with the Disney orchestra session players that sounds exactly like a "Disney Goes To Hawaii" soudtrack-- its call "Moonligh Time In Old Hawaii"

This track is on the soundtrack to The Jungle Book released by Walt Disney Records on CD. Of interest on this track is the fact that this is a recycled track! This was not written for the film, but rather for the 1964 New York World's Fair some 3 years earlier. In fact, this original (and longer) version of this track will be included on the CD box set coming out this Tuesday called Walt Disney and the 1964 World's Fair. A 5 CD box set/book that is pre-selling on Amazon for under $35!!!
A little birdie.

Pages: 1 8 replies