Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Kamaina Klub progress

Pages: 1 26 replies

I put this in the Ohana section before I realized this is probably where it should be.

On 2009-03-16 13:32, parrothead13730 wrote:
Just a note to say Aloha to everyone. So far this seems like a great place and I feel as though I should have been here 30 years ago. I am retired navy living upstate NY. We were stationed in Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, San Diego, Jacksonville and Boston. Had my first Tiki Bar in the backyard in base housing on Nimitz Hill in Guam in 1979. It was fantastic being able to have it outside year round. We just bought a house on the Unadilla River in Mt. Upton NY. Has a great family room in the walkout basement that is 18X31 with a wet bar in the back corner. Starting to transform it into a Tiki Bar now. Overlooking the river it is quite nice. Has tongue in groove paneling all around the room now. Will look quite different when I am done.

The beginning.

"I'm growing older but not up, my metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck" Jimmy Buffett

[ Edited by: parrothead13730 2009-03-16 13:35 ]

[ Edited by: Kamaina Kraig 2009-03-21 19:42 ]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Hi Parrothead,

I'm the owner and operator of Tiki Central. Welcome to the site. Just a quick warning for you, you may find the regulars here a bit hostile. Tiki Central makes a clear distinction between "Polynesian pop" and "Jimmy Buffett" tiki. Traditionally the differences include Rum vs. Tequila, Pacific ocean vs Atlantic, vibraphone vs steel drum.

Tiki Central takes its roots from the Tiki Bar movement of the 1950s, which is a world apart from the Jimmy Buffett inspired tiki. As petty as it may sound, it has caused some friction for a lot of the users here, to the point where I specifically mention in the "about" section:

http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php

As the about page says, you're welcome to like Jimmy Buffett and the Florida style of tiki bar, but that's not what this site is about. If you're willing to dive in and learn about the Polynesian Pop movement our members will happily embrace you. But if that's not what you're about, or what you want to learn more about, then this is not the forum for you.

Mahalo; thanks for joining.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2009-03-16 14:18 ]

TWO

I say welcome no matter what you are into. So "Welcome".

[ Edited by: Tai Won On 2009-03-16 15:15 ]

Parrothead asked me to change his name, so he's now Kamaina Kraig. Welcome!

Thanks everyone.

Whew, I'm so glad Hanford rescued you before you encountered any roving headhunters. When I saw the original username and signature, I started writing you a personal message, to give you a "heads up" about the Buffett thing. But when I tried to send it, it said there was no such username. It had been changed, even as I was writing the message!
Welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the bar project progresses. Looks like a great room with lots of potential.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-03-16 15:00 ]

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Mar 16, 2009 3:07 PM

Truly, welcome! And just know it is OK to own, show and discuss "Cheeseburger in Paradise" tiki mugs, even the ones from Hawaii... :D

Hey Kraig with an 18 x 31 space you could tikify the hell outta that place. Nice score.

L

Yeah great room! I am glad you decided to stay on here and participate. I think you will absorb an amazing amount of inspiration for your room on here and I cant wait to see how it starts to transform. Welcome!

T

Welcome!!!
I could go on and on about the room.
Great space!! Bigger than most.
This is what you should do, draw out your plans.
Right down to the outlets.
You will need a lot of outlets for hanging lights ect...
We go to tons of flea markets, antique shows, tiki events
to get the stuff we fill our tiki bars with.
For me I like buying tikis from guys here that in my mind
are more artist types than just hey here's a tiki from odd lots.
Why? heres why.

You give them money and they flip you off!
I love that! It's the story that goes behind getting the stuff
that makes getting it fun!
Don't run out and try to make an instant tiki bar.
look at old tiki bar pics and do that at your place.
Like cover that pole with rope about 5 feet up. Top half tapa.
Good luck!!

blowfish lamp $25
tiki bar kit $150
tiki aquarium $200

having the missus put up with all the junk, priceless.

for everything else there's tikicentral.

T

Wow, it's a good thing I sent this guy a PM on Saturday.. :lol:

Whew, I'm so glad Hanford rescued you before you encountered any roving headhunters. When I saw the original username and signature, I started writing you a personal message, to give you a "heads up" about the Buffett thing. But when I tried to send it, it said there was no such username. It had been changed, even as I was writing the message!
Welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the bar project progresses. Looks like a great room with lots of potential.

I was trying to help behind the scenes.. It worked.. :lol: This is a much better username.. :D :D Now I can't wait to see his Tiki room in process photos..

A

Great looking space for your new bar. And I see it already has a stripper pole in the middle of the room. Excellent!!

Have made a few cosmetic changes. Added a couple of things I've picked up. Here are some new pics of the Kamaina Klub.

Still a huge work in progress...to be continued.

Craig

P

I agree with Skip. You need pieces that have a story behind them. That takes some contact and research with the artists. Skip's a master lamp maker, and there are several people like that here.

You need to be able to talk about many of your pieces to guests...

Like "My cousin stole this witco from a place his dad used to own."

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13461&forum=1

Or - "These are the tikis from The Book of Tiki."

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12047&forum=7&vpost=401387

Many of the artists will custom design and create pieces for you from your wishes.
If you're lucky, like I am, they'll make a mug from your original piece like Tiki Tony did for the Fatutu he carved and shipped to me. I also sent the specs of my mug shelf to Monkeyman and he made a magnificent frame. Those two pieces I bought in different years.

Don't get in a hurry. A few years will go by really fast and your place can be AWESOME.

And you've got to check out the bars of Lake Surfer and boutiki that kind of match your room layout there a little.

If you're really good at mixing drinks, people bring you stuff.
That's key. Tell them you like glass floats and tapa and vintage mugs or you'll get kites with parrots on them and crap like that.

Don't paint your ceiling white and as Bamboo Ben always hollers "LAYERS!"

Finally, when you've got it pretty well in hand throw a party, invite me and don't forget the fresh mint. I'll bring a mug.

Put some new lights up and added a few doo dads we had in storage.

The lights over the bar are actually quite orange. Don't show up that well in the picture.

KK

"The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean" Mark Twain on Hawaii

[ Edited by: Kamaina Kraig 2009-03-29 16:59 ]

Here are a couple new pics of the Kamaina Klub

Of course...still a work in progress...waiting for the bamboo and thatch to redo the bar area. And I still have to do something with the ceiling...:)

KK

L

Slowly but surely its getting there...baby steps to the end result!

Your room screams for some rattan furniture instead of the comfy sofas (rattan is pretty comfy too!). I would love for you to keep an eye out for some and see if you can score some at a good price.

I am jealous that you have all those rattan shelves :( I am in desperate need!!

"Just a quick warning for you, you may find the regulars here a bit hostile" ~Hanford

You think?

I know Leleliz....believe me I have been looking for some rattan I can afford. I do have rattan sofa frame I picked up for a few dollars that we are just starting to work on now...then make some cushions for it. As a disabled vet on a pension I am financially challenged...:) But I like what I have. I know it is not as nice as some I have seen on TC....some of them are out of this world. But I also know it is better than anyone I know in this area. It doesn't look like I have done much....but everything was taken out of the room....the walls were washed and re-oiled. The old carpet pulled up and what a chore it was to get the old tiles to shine...but I loved the look of the old tiles and now it looks so much nicer. Then everything was brought back in. I am working slowly on it.

Thanks for your input and I wish I could send you some shelving. That is all I seem to find for a reasonable cost around here.

KK

L

Well you know what they say..if you build they will come. I am thinking you will stumble across some rattan at some point in the future..usually happens that way. Check Craigslist from time to time in your area. Under wicker/whicker,rattan/ratan,bamboo and you will be surprised at what people dont even know they have and get rid of for cheap! (mainly because they spell it wrong when they post it!)

Lots of people on here have very small rooms or like myself apartments to create their tiki area in. You my friend are blessed with all that space .

Those walls look great and I am looking forward to your next installment :)

I like what I'm seeing Kraig...very dim and moody...

G
Gsc posted on Sat, Feb 22, 2014 3:54 AM

Great work. I apologize for bringing up an old post but after seeing your original "history" post I had to say something. My dad is retired navy also (I was a Marine). I was born in Guam and we were stationed there twice, we were also stationed in Rosevelt Roads Naval Base in Puerto Rico--- I hear it closed down years ago.

Gsc I'm glad you brought this thread forward. I hadn't seen his space before. Wendy

PP

wow, what a fun fun space!!!!

Kamaina Kraig<

Don't worry about being totally Tiki, you'll get there by just being a part of this site.

I did a Mid-Centery/tiki room and no one threw me off the site.

But really, when it comes to drinking, stick with the Rum!!!

-Longboard

Pages: 1 26 replies