Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Pre-statehood Tiki-Man Pendant, Silver Accents

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hello to the TC community! This is my first post here, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Ed, I'm from New York.

Here's what I've got...

This is something my grandfather purchased in Honolulu, during the Second World War. I've seen similar items go for some big money on shows like antiques roadshow... but I really don't know what I have here. The writing on the back is tough to make out, as well.

Please let me know what you think!

Anyone?

Any ideas on where to take it then?

Looks like part Menehune, part housefly?
Nice collectible.

Shootz, forgot to say Welcome to Tiki Central!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-03-19 07:37 ]

Thanks for the welcome! Does anyone know of reputable Tiki-Art (would this even be considered so?) dealers in or around the NYC area?

M

What you have there is a carved ivory Hawaiian Warrior pin made by Ming's Jewelry. These were made in the 1940s and 1950s. I've seen these sell for $600-$1200. Here is one that is on eBay now :down:

It is listed with a buy it now price of $800.

The only issue is that it looks like yours may have been altered. It is a very different color than the one from ebay, and the age cracking / crazing of the finish on yours is not typical of the quality of Ming's. Looks as those yours may have been painted or varnished? This can also bee seen on the back, where yours has the finish that goes over the flat part of the pin on the back, as does the writing.

Hope that helps.

Aloha!

Wow! Thanks for that informative post... I was sure this was carved wood, and not ivory. This never would've been painted or varnished, as it was given to my mother who basically stored it away.

Thank you again for the info, everything looks to be the same, except the material?

M

Now that I look at your pics again, it looks like the white writing on the back says Ming's Honolulu Polynesian Warrior.

I have no idea if they actually made wood versions. Maybe this is some type of prototype?

Anyone???

Nice eyes!! This is definitely wood... the back has a wood grain texture.

I take it you've seen a number of the ivory ones? Do you have any idea as to how many were produced?

I spoke to my mom about this again, she said it was a gift from her father. While he was in Hawaii during the war, this was apparently purchased a couple years later, when he went back. A set of matching earrings was lost along the way, apparently.

Thanks again for the help, and info!

Pages: 1 7 replies