Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Walt Disney World - Enchanted Tiki Room Song ID

Pages: 1 8 replies

B

Hi all -

Hopefully I've done a good search of topics previously covered on this board, and have come up with a question for you that hasn't yet been answered.

I'm trying to ID a song that was featured at Walt Disney World's Enchanted Tiki Room, and continues to be part of the Under New Management show. It consists only of drums and plays during the transition from the outdoor preshow to the indoor theater show. It would best be described as Load Music. It was part of WDW's original Tiki Room and, as I mentioned, continues to be included at the end of the current preshow. I do not believe it has ever been utilized in the Disneyland attraction. It is possible that this music was created in-house by Disney specifically for the attraction, but I have not yet encountered it on any Disney Tiki Room CD or LP that I have come across. For that reason, I am thinking they might have taken it directly from an already existing recording - and I am wondering if any of you might be able to identify it for me.

It can be heard from 6:51-7:55 in this video from the original WDW Tiki Room preshow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJBzf8SA_w

If anybody recognizes this piece of music, I'd appreciate you letting me know what it is!

Thanks -

Brian

Stumped me, & I just ran through all my classic exotica (Thanks BTD!).

TB

The drum music at WDW enchanted tiki room is a custom piece. This was done back in the 60's, recorded at Todd AO. Apparently, the drummer in Frank Sinatras band at the time, is one of the percussionists. They also did the "talking logs" music, for the six log drum tikis over by the jungle cruise. I got this info from a guy named Glen Barker, who is currently in charge of post audio mixing for Disney attractions.

Tiki Bill.

PS. here is the "talking Logs" music. http://www.tikibill.com/talking_logs.mp3

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2009-03-18 05:50 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2009-03-18 05:54 ]

Far OUT!

A mighty MAHALO to TikiBill for this delightful sonic gem!

SOK

B

Thanks Tiki Bill -

I was actually hoping it wasn't done in-house by Disney. As I mentioned, to my knowledge that particular piece has not been legitimately released by them in any form.

They have done a good job of releasing the entire Disneyland attraction on CD (including the Garden Show), while the original Walt Disney World version (with the preshow birds and load music being the defining differences between the two) has been neglected!

Thanks again -

Brian

Just a note that the music was made for Walt Disney World's Tiki Room originally. Walt Disney World was not open until the early 1970's. Other than the re-use of Disneyland audio from the 50's-60's (which this track is not), I doubt they would record their new soundtracks back in the 60's. If this track is really as old as WDW, then it was likely recorded in the 1970's.

HL

It sure sounds like it came from the same recording session as the talking logs/drums.

I remember back when the park first opened, the logs were configured in a circular pattern, facing inwards. Each log played one tone and when you stood in the middle you were "surrounded" by the sound.

At some point in the late '70s or '80s the logs were repositioned into a line -- each still played the sounds individually. Then someone in the '90s got the idea to make them squirt and it was all downhill from there.

Do they still play the music at all?

TT

On 2009-03-21 12:45, Atomobile wrote:
I doubt they would record their new soundtracks back in the 60's. If this track is really as old as WDW, then it was likely recorded in the 1970's.

Groundbreaking for Walt Disney World began on May 30, 1967. Opening day was October 1, 1971. It is possible the track(s) were laid down in the late 1960s - perhaps 1969.

This sounds like a good question for Dave Smith...

TB

Also keep in mind, Disney has TONS of bits they recorded over the years and haven't used in their archives. That music may have been part of the original Adventure land tracks cut for Disney Land, that for whatever reason wasn't used and just sat in the vault until planing for Disney World began. As a guy who dose audio for themed environments and haunted attractions, I use bits I've recorded years ago, and just now have a use for, or whatever. So I do believe this song was actually recorded in the 50s', as part of the original Adventure Land sessions. From what I hear on that vid and what I remember from hearing a hundred or more times myself, the two highest pitch log drums are the same ones used for the Talking Logs music, not just in pitch, but in timbre as well. I have a photographic memory for sounds and I'm telling you guys, it's the same drums.

Tiki Bill.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2009-05-03 10:39 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies