Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mondo Tiki - Shocking pictures of real Tikis !!!

Pages: 1 25 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 1:33 AM

This is where we will post pictures of Tikis in their natural habitat. Pictures from museums or books are welcome too... Any real tiki from Oceania. No Polynesian pop, no Tiki Modern. Only art made by natives from the islands of the Pacific.
Example:
Weird Tiki rite:

This would be the ideal "Mondo","shocking" picture. Shows the natives interacting with our subject, and it's a bit scary.

Mondo film
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A mondo film is a documentary film, sometimes resembling a pseudo-documentary, usually depicting sensational topics, scenes, and situations.

The genre started with the Italian film Mondo Cane (A Dog's World, also a mild Italian curse; "mondo" literally means "world") made in 1962 by Paolo Cavara, Gualtiero Jacopetti, Franco Prosperi and proved quite popular. Mondo films are often easily recognized by name, as even English language mondo films often included the term "mondo" in their titles. Over the years the film makers wanted to top each other in shock value in order to draw in audiences. Cruelty to animals, accidents, tribal initiation rites and surgeries are a common feature of a typical mondo. Much of the action is also staged, even though the film makers may claim their goal to document only "the reality".

The Russ Meyer film Mondo Topless was one of the few "documentaries" restricted to the old midnight movie circuit of the pre-VCR era, as it explored strip clubs in 1960s San Francisco, at a time when strip clubs were a novelty in the United States restricted to centers of port-city decadence such as San Francisco.

Other examples of movies in this genre include Mondo di Notte by Gianni Proia, Mondo Balordo by Roberto Bianchi Montero, and Mondo Ford by Ricardo Fratelli.

The eighties saw a resurgence of mondo movies, though now they focused almost solely on onscreen death, rather than cultures of the world. The Faces of Death series is probably the best known example of this type of mondo, or 'death' movie. The producers at this time still used some faked footage, passed off as real, but the majority of the footage was legitimate. This includes scenes of real autopsies, suicides, accidents, and intercontinental executions. Executions done in America were faked, only because it is illegal to tape or observe live executions there.

The mondo film in the 21st century has transformed into a very 'in your face', gory spectacle, as seen in the Faces of Gore and Traces of Death series. There is considerably less fake footage and many of these use news footage of accidents from the far east.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 1:39 AM

Strange red creature.

This picture is good but there is no natives and it is not very shocking... But at least it's In situ.
Made in New Zealand.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 1:46 AM

Marquesas red idol. Made of human bone.

Museum shot... This is great because the object is so beautiful, but there is no context or reference... Almost no shock value. 1 point out of 3 in the shocking Mondo chart.
Now everyone, show your pictures of "real" Tikis. Mahalo!

Somewhere on the North East Cape New Zealand, showing Tiki and Capt. Cook

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 23, 2009 7:50 PM

Nice cheekytiki! Thanks for participating and please keep them coming...
Now, back to shocking...

The "Gauguin" Tiki...

The text in Spanish is terrific! I would translate it but I feel lazy today...

Since it was moved from the spiritual power place of Raivavae Island, it is considered a bad luck Tiki, supported by the fact that the schooner which brought it over sank shortly thereafter.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 10:34 AM

Cool Bigbro! That story is MONDO!!!

The damned Gauguin Tiki again...

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 10:37 AM

I read somewhere that they moved the Gauguin Tiki indoors because it was getting damaged from being outside... Or they put a roof to protect it.

Which brought up this question for me, for which I created a separate thread, so as not to derail this one:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31804&forum=1&start=last&0

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 3:27 PM

Stone idol or alien self portrait with helmet?

Love this pictures...
Where is everyone? Don't be lazy, post some pictures!

L
laojia posted on Fri, Apr 3, 2009 8:52 AM

That was included in a comic strip Tintin: Flight 714 to Sydney " by Hergé, the scenario is very "mondo":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_714

I do not have the comics near me, but I'm sure that this tiki is present.

MR

Found this some time ago. Thought I'd share.

On 2009-04-03 08:52, laojia wrote:
That was included in a comic strip Tintin: Flight 714 to Sydney " by Hergé, the scenario is very "mondo":

Close, but no cigar. The eyes really seem similar because of the lids and their size in relation to the face, but the rest of the facial features are not Marquesan enough. The B&W photo above is a nice early shot of the "butterfly priestess". See description and recent photo here:

http://www.pbif.org/WebGallery/Default.aspx?directory=2211&action=View&sortorder=Ascending&dirsortorder=Ascending&file=2816

She was the wife of Manuitoaa, whose head I am talking about here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31804&forum=1&vpost=443195

They are both found on the same temple site.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-04-03 21:16 ]

L
laojia posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2009 9:14 AM

I share with you pictures of a strange tiki, in a museum:

This marquesans wear a curious appendix on his back

More pics of this exhibition:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31240&forum=7&vpost=438921

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19078&forum=7&vpost=441314

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Apr 6, 2009 2:15 PM

On 2009-04-03 08:52, laojia wrote:

laojia is right. That is the Tintin Tiki... I am a huge comic (or band desinee) fan, and found the picture posted above on the Herge files...

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Apr 6, 2009 2:17 PM

Cool. On the cover, the giant stone faces have a different nose and mouth, but the eyes are similar to the Marquesan butterfly priestess -- on the comic's panel you dug up, the nose and mouth match hers more closely, but the eyes don't have the eye lids!

Herge knew how to disguise his sources. :)

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 7:01 AM

!?!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Apr 14, 2009 10:30 AM

Matt Reese and Laojia, Thanks for sharing! keep them coming!

Where is this Tiki from?

H

the carvings above look to be like punholdayan, house post rice gods of the ifugao and igorot peoples from the phillippines.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 11:46 AM

Nice answer hottiki. Do you know why they are called Islas Filipinas? Something to do with Spain...

Tonga's Tiki, Tangaroa or God of the sea, right?

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jan 23, 2010 10:40 PM

when we were in hawaii, at the building that my dad's company was building, some hawaiian construction workers found this during excavation. they threw it away with a shovel since it was tabu.

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 8:07 AM

Ja ja! Johnny Dollar, nice try! You almost make believe that that Ku was sacred and real, but then I thought a Tiki sculpted from marble in Hawaii is too weird, so that made me suspicious...
I like your style! You are the J.D. Salinger of Tiki!

So, here's yet ANOTHER priceless image brought to you by your friendly neighbor, the Z-man.

Hey everyone(that means you), post your pictures too!

A

On 2010-02-03 08:07, Zeta wrote:
Ja ja! Johnny Dollar, nice try! You almost make believe that that Ku was sacred and real, but then I thought a Tiki sculpted from marble in Hawaii is too weird, so that made me suspicious...
I like your style! You are the J.D. Salinger of Tiki!

Maybe the Sherwood Schwartz of Tiki?

-Randy

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2010 9:37 AM

picture from this book:

Pages: 1 25 replies