Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Weird Request... PVC/Rubber NON-CHEESY Tiki head needed!

Pages: 1 10 replies

Hey all, I know it sounds funky, but I'm in search of tiki, a Rubber hollow one...I'm looking for a semi translucent tiki head, made of thin PVC or Rubber for a unique and really creative project I'm working on for personal enjoyment. I have the wacky wobblers, and other tiki bobble heads, but the plastic is too thick, and won't allow any light to pass through(main reason I need rubber or similar)... Any artists have an idea or suggestions? Or any TC'ers see any toy-type tikis made of rubber and are of medium size? Any help would be appreciated! The size I'm looking for is approximately...circumference being Bigger than a coke can, but smaller than a CD... Any input is welcomed! :D

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-03-20 11:34 ]

P

if you know how to make molds check out smooth ons products.

they make a silicone rubber that will work.

http://www.smooth-on.com/

squeeky dog toy? might work?

Huh, that Moai is almost a Rainier Emerald Moss green.

If you describe exactly what you have in mind for this rubbery translucent tiki you seek the creative types might have more suggestions for you.

Does it need to be flexible? If not one of the plastic patio lantern moai might work. The hole is in their heads. Can a hole be in the head of this dream tiki you seek?

this request sounds naughty...

there are plenty of translusent tiki head string lites out there......and solid colored translucent tiki patio lights......

...also, look into cheap party store tiki plastic cups and glasses.....

on ebay you can find those cheap plastic tiki molds to make a head yourself......just look up your local online plastics/resin company and buy a small kit to make clear urethane resin castings.....although i don't know what you are using to light these so heat may be an issue....

.here.....stick a light inside the head of one of these !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2560-Plastic-Tiki-Cup-Set-14-Pc_W0QQitemZ310129680921QQihZ021QQcategoryZ29460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they look solid but i'll bet light shines through them if you put a bulb in it.....just not too much!

or try these plastic ones.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Vintage-Tiki-Shot-Glass-Toothpick-Holder-Lot-Plastic_W0QQitemZ190247574450QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3273QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

anyway, good luck with your project.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-03-20 05:18 ]

Wow, thanks for all the replies and suggestions, people! :D ...

Pdrake - Thank you for that link! I found some other uses for some of the materials they sell already! I'm not ready to cast molds, although I probably wouldn't mind learning! I'll keep this link as a last resort, for casting!

Dogbytes - The Moai squeeki tiki toys, might just do the trick! Thanks for the heads up...I'm looking into how tall the other(non-moai) tiki head is, without the body.

Woof -yea a hole is needed in the head of the tiki. It needs to be hollow, so I can add some lighting into it.

Sweetpea - Keep yer mind outta the gutter! :wink:

Tipsy - Although I've seen the patio ones, they are for the most part, cheesy tiki styles...

I will definately post what I'm using it for, with images as soon as I can get the right demension tiki head/face. So far, the squeeky dog toys look promising, if they can be modified/stretched to fit...

..nothing is too cheesy for you tom!! :)

haha, at least not this cheesy..

Chester has me beat!

X

Mele Kalikimaka from my doggie! She got a squeeki tiki this year and LOVES it.

[ Edited by: xtine 2009-12-31 11:11 ]

B

ahhhhh! She's cute!

Pages: 1 10 replies