Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carver Tavita (Maui)

Pages: 1 10 replies

Recently was lucky enough to get to Maui for a week or so and looked up a carver whom I had ran into before. He sets up next to a small craft fair every day. Here are some pics. He told me he finishes alot of his tikis with shoe polish.
He is a nice old guy who has been carving all his life, he looks about 70 or so.
He also carves and sells on a website...friendlyislescarving or something, I can't find it now, but I have been to the site in the past. (Getting old). Picked up another one of his tikis.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-03-24 16:12 ]

T

Shoe polish? Intriguing. Gonna have to try that one. Looks like he's got some nice stuff. You have any more pics?

B

On 2009-03-24 11:42, TheBigT wrote:
Shoe polish? Intriguing. Gonna have to try that one. Looks like he's got some nice stuff. You have any more pics?

Yep Shoe polish, I think Bowie wow wowie (Bowana) already used it.

However, this hawaiian carver does some crazy stuff.

Benjamin.

On 2009-03-24 11:50, benella wrote:

However, this hawaiian carver does some crazy stuff.

Benjamin.

This fellow is Tongan and resides in Hawaii. His work is the stereotypical example of Tongan copying Hawaiian gods for tourist. They have their own unique style but it's very hard to distinguish one Tongan carvers work from another. Especially when it comes to the tourist staple(Tikis).

He does a great job at what he does and is productive with his family carving as his apprentices.

AlienT,
Thanks for that heads-up on Tavita. Tried to find other carvers while we were there, (we stayed in Kihei), but couldn't. My wife went to Lahaina ( I didn't go, last time we were there, it was too crowded for me) and saw a carver that was set up near the big Banyan tree. She said he had some pretty neat tikis. Tried to run into Beachbumz several times, but kept missing him...met his lovely wife though.
Mahalo
BigT, I might have a few more pics, but I don't think so, I'll look.
Did get to go to La Mariana Sailing Club in Honolulu, Great Tiki place. My wife looked it up and brought me there for my pre-59th birthday party. Nice people. Honolulu was way too crowded for me, though. The other side of the island was kinda nice, for a while.
Ciao & Thanks

Good Stuff

T

Hey this guy could have carved this piece I picked up a few weeks ago at a local flea market. The older woman told me she had remembered having it from the late 70's early 80's. It looks like one of those tourist pieces. But I still like it and for $10. who cares? :D

S

I have a Tavita hanging on my wall. Got it in 06 on a trip to Maui.

T

Hey there Sungod, can you post a picture of your Tavita? I'd love to see it. Thanks

D

Sungod, Would also like to see it.
I'll post better pics of the 2 I have Monday.

Here's the two I got

Pages: 1 10 replies