Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Vintage airbrushed glaze mugs

Pages: 1 18 replies

I have read in Tiki Quest that Duke thinks these may have came as a gift set. I have three. Two are the same basic design with different paint detailing. They have a great airbrushed glaze. The paint on all are original vintage cold glaze but with a different style. Does anyone else have any of these mugs. Would be interesting to see the variations. These are getting hard to find. Thanks.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-03-24 12:53 ]

So Trav, are we to believe you make all these great finds in Michigan? I need to know, 'cause Indiana is barren by comparison and, I may be spending some time up there.

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2009-03-24 14:04 ]

On 2009-03-24 14:04, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
So Trav, are we to believe you make all these great finds in Michigan?

Yes sir Bongo. The Great White North still holds many treasures and there has got to be more undiscovered gems out there. It's the thrill of the hunt!

I've been mildly obsessed with these airbrushed mugs ever since Tiki Quest came out.

I have the one with the green mask as well as this one.

I originally thought that there were six mugs in this set, but then I saw a seventh.

That doesn't help at all, does it?

Nice find Tiki-Kate. Does your green mask mug have the same paint as either one of mine? Any variations in the mugs is great. And seven wow! Thanks for posting.

Here's my green one. Looks like the last one in your picture.

Here's another from Ooga-Mooga from the collection of mfachman.

Here is mine.
The barrel shot is similarly airbrushed as well.

T

On 2009-03-24 14:52, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I've been mildly obsessed with these airbrushed mugs ever since Tiki Quest came out.

I have the one with the green mask as well as this one.

I originally thought that there were six mugs in this set, but then I saw a seventh.

That doesn't help at all, does it?

I have this one, only where this one is brown mine is white, and where it's white mine is brown.

I'm wondering if maybe there were two sets of four. There seems to be four with tiki designs, and I'm thinking that there might be four with non-tiki designs.

Here's the hula girl from Tiki Quest.

And here's the flower design from Ooga-Mooga from the collection of Kohalacharms.

I believe I've seen another similar mug with a design on that raised oval.

Great stuff indeed. I guess another mystery is who made these mugs. I have never seen one with any markings. Keep the photos coming. This is great to see. Thanks.

I haven't seen a tiki one in the wild yet...but here is one with a floral design as well...

PTD

LT

On 2009-03-25 13:33, uncle trav wrote:
Great stuff indeed. I guess another mystery is who made these mugs...

I think these are Fred Roberts designs.

M

Yes, these are made by the Fred Roberts Co. of San Francisco. I have seen a couple with labels on them

Great. Never thought I'd find a Fred Roberts in these parts. Now I have Three. Thanks for the info.

Kate....was it this one? Do all the others have a handle too?

That's the one! Yes, I believe they all have handles.

LT

On 2009-03-26 17:44, bongofury wrote:
Kate....was it this one? Do all the others have a handle too?

I like that one. Very nice!

Someone already posted the one from my collection, but I thought I would add a couple of alternate views to show the handle, etc. This is one of my favorite mugs...

H

This is my collection of the Fred Roberts mugs. I got the mask set from the remains of what I think were originally two sets, and I sold off the doubles. There were no Hula girls with them, so I also think those were not part of the mask mug sets. Some of my mask mugs have a very faint ink stamp "Japan" on the bottom.

Pages: 1 18 replies