Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

It's True! Spandau Ballet getting back together!

Pages: 1 19 replies

TM

I may be the only Hetero male in the USA who likes this band, so I was happy to read today that they are getting back together. I realize this is probably not a popular band with most people, but they have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. http://www.spandauballet.com

oh brother.
and you don't like the Beatles?

were you dropped on yer head as a baby?
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-03-25 23:49 ]

Uh, I know at least one other hetero guy who like Spandau...*

**I'll admit here to being a bit 'o' a virtual luddite. Sorry in advance for the poor quality of the video. I tried to find a program to flip it before posting it, but they all screwed up the sound. *

M

I'm both very pleased to hear the news and somewhat mortified that this was taped. Damn intarnets.

Bring on the Spandau!

Are those the same guys that sang, "I bought a ticket to the wo wo world, but now I've come back again" GAG me with a spoon. Puhleeze!

TM

Pretty much the way I feel when I hear "yellow submarine" by the Beatles.

With all due respect Lucas...ahh nevermind...

Yellow Submarine? Reminds me of "They're Coming To Take Me Away HAHA". But how can you not like "For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" or "Within You Without You" ?? Glass Onion? Savoy Truffle? Sexy Sadie?

Spandau Ballet? Isn't that a brand of underwear?

On 2009-03-26 08:21, Haole'akamai wrote:

**I'll admit here to being a bit 'o' a virtual luddite. Sorry in advance for the poor quality of the video. I tried to find a program to flip it before posting it, but they all screwed up the sound. *

HAHAHAHA! I just saw the video. :music: "Listenin' to MARtin, this is the sou ou ound of my soul" :music: HAHAHAHA! I love Martin; was that Rebecca giggling while filming?

I like 'em too. One of the pop acts from the 80s actually worth seriously revisiting.

But I prefer to remember them like this:

And this:

Instead of this:

Or this:

On 2009-03-26 08:21, Haole'akamai wrote:

I'm sorry Martin, but I believe I can no longer order any more gay drinks from you.
But were still friends.

The wall street stock broker look worked for this band, but the later picture with the full mullets is really embarassing! But, these guys did pretty well with the ladies back then, even with the mullets! As far as the music, well, I won't make excuses for the song "true". It's really naff, but not alone in that any tears for fears song sounds similar. I like the bass player, the raunchy tone he got on his musicman sabre, and for a glorified garage band, these guys managed to craft some excellent sophisto-pop in the same vein as ABC and Level 42.

Another Hetero male who was a fan. I spent some serious time in the backseat of my Mustang with my
high school girlfriend with Spandau playing in the cassette player. Ok, I might be lying a little,
we usually did it in the front seat (bench seat). Wonder if that would still work today???

TM

Of course, the lead singer Tony Hadley looks more like James Gandolfini now then the ultra-preppie he was back in the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UyTePUp4lk&feature=related

But the guy can sing good. I always liked his voice.

TM
TM

alright, there was a lot of good music from the 80's.
Saw Adam Ant in concert, loved the powerful drum beat and the horn section. :music: STAAND AND DEELIVUH awdiddlywahwah :music:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-VPgHbt0ODr4/adam_the_ants_stand_and_deliver/

On 2009-04-05 11:45, lucas vigor wrote:
And another killer 80's band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzXtizKcXY&feature=related

Lucas,
if you ever play like that at any of your shows.
I will stop coming to see you. period.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-04-06 14:34 ]

TM

Don't worry! I am a one bass solo a year player, at best!

Pages: 1 19 replies