Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Vintage Brass Tiki Bookends

Pages: 1 11 replies

I have these laying around , can anyone tell me something on them? Entertaining Offers.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-03-25 19:17 ]

it's maori in origin. i believe they are ancestral figures. are they carved into the stand, or did they hack off the carvings and glued them onto the stands?

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2009-03-25 20:21 ]

LT

It looks like they may be copper.

On 2009-03-25 20:52, LOL Tiki wrote:
It looks like they may be copper.

doh! it says brass on the title. i cain't read. so therefore they must not have been carved into the stand. :wink:

They are actually seperate if you notice there is a hole on the top of each one that is missing a nail/screw.

They are actually seperate if you notice there is a hole on the top of each one that is missing a nail/screw.

T

I think those are nicest, most detailed Tiki Book ends I have ever seen!!
Look like high quality and very well done.
Great find!!
Thanks for sharing!!

TabooDan

I agree. Seeing these begs the question why one does not see more Maori metal work, and shows its kinship to elaborate turn-of-the-century (and art nouveaux) ornament.
Are you really interested in selling these, drastic W? I don't think you know how the "personal message" system works, it is really one of the worst features on this lovely site: You have to be signed in, and then you still have to be lucky to catch the lil blinking p.m. logo.

i put in my offer days ago and have yet to hear back...propably due to issues big bro mentioned above about the message system here.....

anyway.....like bob dylan used to say.... " lay lady lay.....lay across my big brass bookends"!!!!!

" In a perfect world...Elvis would still be alive ....and all the elvis impersonators would be dead!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-03-27 05:17 ]

@tipsy (and others?), good luck with the bid. these things look museum quality.

@DW: what is the provenance if you don't mind sharing (besides the fact that they are from new zealand). :wink: i'm almost certain they didn't start out life as a bookstand. looks to be original 19th century maori metalwork or a pretty damn good repro.

Too bad about the holes punched in them.

I just caught the PMs. I'll let the bidding ride for awhile and maybe try to research and find a value on them and go from there. Thanks , I really like them too so will see if the bids make me happier.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-03-27 20:30 ]

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-03-27 20:30 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies