Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mystery Moaimug?

Pages: 1 9 replies

This mug o' mine was damaged a long, long time ago. Yet in all those years since, after seeing many, many collections and posts, I have never come across another one like it...

What is often termed a "Peanut" texture, is actually meant to resemble stone adze markings on wood. The vessel has no identifying inscriptions or stamps, and I have no clue to its age. 70s? 80s?

Anybody out there who has another one like it? Is he in Duke's book, or on Ooga Mooga and I missed it?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-25 22:20 ]

I got nothing to offer except GREAT lighting man! I know it's what you do and you do what you do well!

Great mug, Sven.

I've never run across one of these before. Not in the wild or in a book or on Ooga-Mooga.

Hmm. From its feel and look it does look like a mass-produced piece, very Orchids-like, and not a home-made one-off. Amazing that no other like him seems to have surfaced so far. I am glad I kept the relic all these years, it was a casualty of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. I don't remember where I found it originally, probably a thrift store.

W

Uneven interior edge makes me think homemade... but it could be deceptive from the fracture.

Can you show the inside and bottom please?

Sure -but I have seen a lot of mugs in my day, it sure looks like Asian mass produced to me:

It's pretty thin-walled:

He has the weirdest pursed lips...

Who are you?

T

Hey I found it!! It sure looks like these:

What's going on here?? :)

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-03-28 17:49 ]

Close.....NOT!
Hey! I never saw that last glaze version of my mug! I have 4 different ones, but not that one. I need it for my collection!

T

Hey Bigbro, I got the image from Ooga Mooga. I think it was in the collection of "Swizzle". If you do a search for "Sven Kirsten", there are quite a few different glazes.
I also noticed if you click on some of the photos of the mugs that more mugs (not in the intitial 6) can be seen as well. Looks like there is for sure more than 4 colors.

If this link works, this is it:
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=912

Unfortunately, I missed out on this mug and do not have one.

TabooDan

Thanks. Well I have all the GOOD ones. (That blue one is ugly mug, ugh!)
Funny for some reason right now I wish I would have extras left for trade :D
....but I don't! Ran out of 'em long ago, just like the BOT copies. Darn.

Pages: 1 9 replies