Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Austin TX: Kahunas Surf Bash 3-29-09, 50's California Exhibit

Pages: 1 0 replies

K

Aloha Texas Tikiphiles! Several things happening you may be interested in:

1.) EVENT
This Sunday, March 29th, full info below. I believe this place is sort of a casual surf tiki, hamburgers and conch fritters type of place. I cannot vouch for quality of food and drinks, but this is a good chance to check it out if you don't want to sit down for a meal and it's for a good cause. Several of us tiki folk will be there. Let me know if you're coming and we'll look for you there.

---------- Grand Opening of Kahuna's Tiki Bar & Grill ---------

Kahuna's Tiki Bar & Grill Hosts Grand Opening Surf Bash
Benefitting Austin Make-A-Wish Kid

"Endless Summer" Celebration Will Feature Cult Surf Film Star Robert August,
Island Foods, Drinks and Live Music

EVENT: Grand Opening of Kahuna's Tiki Bar & Grill

DATE/TIME: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 4-7 p.m.

LOCATION: Kahuna's Tiki Bar & Grill, 6301 Parmer Lane, Austin (Parmer & McNeil)
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-K3kOZMoYn6NM
DESCRIPTION: Newly-opened Kahuna's Tiki Bar & Grill hosts a surf-inspired welcoming party to benefit a local Make-A-Wish teenager, Bridget, diagnosed with a brain stem tumor, whose wish is "to travel to Hawaii." Robert August, star of the surfer movie classic, "Endless Summer," will be at Kahuna's to meet Bridget, to sign DVDs, photos, posters and pouring his signature Robert August wines. Offerings and activities will include:

• Complimentary Conch fritters, Kalua Pulled Pork Sliders and select beverages.
  • A handcrafted surf board chair on display with Aquasellas artisan Sasson Franco. Franco has invited August to sign the one-of-a-kind chair, available for purchase.
  • Wine tastings/pouring of August's wine portfolio; Kahuna's is the only Austin restaurant featuring his wines.
  • Surf-rock band, Los Super Avengers
  • Specialty cocktails such as the flaming Scorpion Bowl, Pura Vida shot, tall Mai Tai served in traditional Tiki glasses, and Kona Beer
  • Register to win items such as an Endless Summer Tiki Glass, Endless Summer Sliders (only few dudes to win), and an Endless Summer Seat at the Bar (with your surf name on it).
  • Giveaways including Kahuna's t-shirts, koozies, and key chains.
    COST: No charge for entry; complimentary signature food and drink items; limited menu available at regular prices.
    Kahuna's will donate $1,000 to Make-A-Wish along with proceeds from additional public donations.

WEB SITE: http://www.kahunastikibar.com

2.) MUSEUM SHOW
The Blanton Museum has an exhibition now called Birth of the Cool, showcasing "the art, design and culture of mid-century California as an epicenter of sophistication and modernist beauty." Runs thru May 17. I have seen it and it is good. It is not a huge show, taking up three large rooms only. On the basis of this, I'm not sure it's worth a trip from out-of-town just to see this, but if you're around I'd definitely check it out.

http://blantonmuseum.org/works_of_art/exhibitions/birth_of_cool/index.cfm
(Look on this website also for info on the local AIA office where it is advertised they have printed up self-guided tours of Austin's mid-century architecture.)

In conjunction with this exhibit will be a film screening on the life of Julius Schulman who shot the Case Study houses in the exhibit:

Event Title: Birth of the Cool Film Series at the Alamo Drafthouse
Event Description: Don’t miss a special Birth of the Cool film series sponsored by the Alamo Drafthouse and Austin Film Society. In celebration of the exhibition, the Alamo Ritz downtown will screen unique films from the 1950s West Coast.

Third in the film series is Visual Acoustics, a 2008 study of architectural photography of Julius Shulman. 83 min. followed by a Q&A with filmmaker, Eric Bricker.

Date: April 8 | 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Fees/Admission: $8.50, $6.25 for students

3.) Don't forget Dallas Trader Vic's on 4/4!

Pages: 1 0 replies