Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My Very First Tiki Mug!

Pages: 1 21 replies

Here I go... this is where it all begins.... after sitting on the peripheral for a while now I've dived in and am now the proud owner of my very first tiki mug!
I found it in a local charity shop which is quite unusual in my small English town - the tiki gods must have been smiling that day.
I'm aware that as far as tiki mugs go, mine is unimpressive to say the least but I felt I needed to mark this occasion with a special post.

I would love to see other people's first mugs or hear some 'first finding' stories - please post them here.

edited to add - the pictures only show up on my pc after I copy the image location into the browser. Is anyone else having trouble seeing them?

[ Edited by: moondoggie 2009-03-28 12:00 ]

are you kiddin' me !?! a koa wood mug aint run of the mill by any stretch! congrats on the great find, aloha and welcome,

:)

http://www.tikiculture.org
http://www.tikiblogger.com
http://squid.tikiblogger.com

[ Edited by: tikiauction 2009-03-28 12:08 ]

That's not Koa that's a Philippine Podwood Ku and probably the most commonly found tiki mug in the UK. I've have four of them in various sizes but have found others but turned them down as they were damaged.

Besides all that, the Podwood Ku was the first tiki mug I ever found and until that point I didn't believe any tiki mugs could be found in Britain. Hopefully this is just the first of many, get up early tomorrow and visit your local carboot sale, you never know what tiki treasures might be found.

My very first mug.. I wish I could remember, I had assorted tiki statues when I was a kid, I remember my grampa would bring them back from there Hawaiian vacations for me.. probably treasure craft or coco joes, I remember having a tiki cup as well... long gone now..

After moving to Maui I remember obtaining a Maui Lu mug I believe from a house I had rented 15 years back.. still have it.. among a few others..

Aloha, moondoggie. Nice alpha-mug! :)

This one was my recent introduction to mug-dom:

Regards.

My first mug was the Drinky mug from Ocean's 11 in Austin, TX.
Still have it, too!

Thanks for the replies everybody! It's great to see all the 'starter' mugs - keep 'em coming.

AtomicTonyTiki - I think I'd read a post you'd written about the Podwood Ku, that's how I knew it wasn't unique (around these parts, at least).

CucamongaChango - I love how your tiki mug is holding its own little tiki mug!

Z

Aloha Moondoggie!

That's a mighty fine beginning to the land of Tiki-- he smiles on your quest for more!

here's my first mug- a gift from my wife:

__Accoutrements "Klaus"

happy hunting, and Welcome again!!

~Zero

My first mug, found him at a Flea Market for $2 in 2007, been hooked ever since. I am now at 182 mugs and counting... :)

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Apr 3, 2009 8:35 PM

moondoogie, you should check out cheekytiki's website http://www.cheekytiki.com. He is from the U.K. and makes some pretty cool mugs...

My first tiki mug, bought in a Malaga tiki bar.

The very next day I found my second one in a flea market.

And several years and mugs later I acquired this one

Same design, but subtle differences in colors, sizes,textures, makers.
This is what this loco collecting thing is all about, isn´t it?

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2009 1:38 AM

...And you acquired it from me.

These are great! Keep em coming...

KuKu - I have seen the CheekyTiki website and there is some great stuff on there but since I'm just starting out (and have very little room to store them), I'm kinda hoping to come across them in charity shops and boot sales and the like. I figure if I find one, the tiki gods have made it so.
:tiki:
I'm assuming I haven't come across many because I'm also new to the whole 'thrifting' scene. But the desire is getting so great I may start buying retail sooner rather than later. :)

Ah the hunt is the thing, will the god's smile on me and provide me with a find.

the ubiquitous...

the common...

the unusual...

...and the extremely rare.

My best tips for hunting is check the reject boxes under dealers tables at bootsales and don't look excited when you find something, celebrate out of their earshot.

On 2009-04-04 01:38, Zeta wrote:
...And you acquired it from me.

Do you sell or trade tiki stuff?

On 2009-02-04 06:41, Zeta wrote:

Flamingo Motor Hotel, Tucson, Arizona. I have one more for trade.

On 2009-03-27 16:54, Zeta wrote:
Never seen before 1960's Mauna Loa bar Mexico swizzle stick

Trade or sell

On 2008-08-07 15:42, Zeta wrote:
Aloha everyone!

Trader Woody, Felicidades for your pioneering field work in Spain back in 2003. You did a great job! I would like to see some of your pictures...

Everyone:
If you are looking for VINTAGE Spanish Tiki mugs... Contact me. Trade or sell. (preferably trade) I live in Madrid but fly often to Boston.

P.S. Bigbrotiki doesn't sell them anymore and mine are VINTAGE anyway... different (mystery) manufacturer. Older, bigger and better. Serious collectors only.

Mahalo!

Long live Spanish Tiki Culture!

Z

On 2008-03-04 13:22, Zeta wrote:
Aloha Amigos! Les escribo desde Madrid. I have been documenting tiki in Spain for years and this is where I'm going to show some of my finds.

This one is really big and rare, Pre-pavon, 2 side pockets.
I have 1 extra to trade/sell.

[ Edited by: Zeta 2008-03-04 13:24 ]

[ Edited by: Zeta 2008-03-04 13:26 ]

On 2008-08-26 17:29, Zeta wrote:
Aloha everyone,

Tikinomad: I got your surprise tiki trade package today, Thank you, I'll send you cool vintage Spanish tiki collectibles A.S.A.P. Not many people own a real vintage Spanish tiki mug. Very rare. Congratulations!
I got many other things. If you want to buy sell or trade, send me a message.

Complete tiki Spain

Z

On 2008-08-05 18:03, Zeta wrote:
Coaster from Bali-Hai Madrid (closed location)

Trade or sell...

for more info about this coaster and the bar where it was from, visit the topic Complete Tiki Spain on the Tiki travel forum.

Mahalo for looking!

Z

On 2009-01-21 07:52, Zeta wrote:

Stardust & AKU AKU in Las Vegas.
I have one extra to trade.

On 2008-08-26 18:09, Zeta wrote:
Why I post this on tiki central?
Because this artist is admired by Shag and appeared in the pages of Tiki Modern...
For Jim Flora fans only, This rare record with cover art by him.

Made in Spain.

Sell or trade.

Aloha...

Z

Erm... not exactly sure what you're on about Mister Naufrago. Was the question directed at Zeta???

AtomicTonyTiki - thanks for the tips. I went to a boot sale today and there was nothing - will make it even more exciting when I find something I suppose. :)

Z

I'm guessing that Zeta does indeed trade--from the enormous amount of times that Sell or trade is on the postings. For that matter, many of us Tiki hounds do trade or sell-- another aspect of the great hunt for tiki, and one that doesn't involve retail. Boot sales can definately provide that hard to find piece, and I hope you come accross many of them.

~Zero
(still trying to find UK mugs in America)

My first mug traded, with several others for some of my Tiki paintings...

...not an actual first mug, but a "first" nonetheless.

Aloha!
~Z

Hello again - It's been a while since I posted.

I have since acquired a set of 4 tiki mugs - sent by an American friend (and fellow tiki enthusiast); I have also mangaged to find two glass floats at separate car boot sales! Yay me!

My tiki collection is growing... very slowly but growing. I'd still like to see some more first mugs. Anyone?

A8

This was my first Tiki mug that I bought at Safari Surf Shop in Chatsworth, CA. It is called Tiki-San and it's made by Tiki Farm.

[ Edited by: Agent 86 2009-07-28 20:03 ]

That's really cool Agent86

Had you been interested in tiki beforehand or did it all start for you when you found that mug?

On 2009-04-04 04:22, atomictonytiki wrote:
Ah the hunt is the thing, will the god's smile on me and provide me with a find.

the ubiquitous...

My first, although I didn't have the writing on the bottom. Then I thought about it, and realized I had seen some at my in-laws. They hooked me up with a bunch of TV coconuts and some Moais that my MIL had made.

It's been all donwhill from there.

A8

Hi Moondoggie. I had been interested in Tiki for the better part of 20 years - more if you count my years of watching Gilligan's Island - but finally decided to act on it and on my first trip to Safari Surf & Sport I found this mug. Previous to that I bought a tiki charm with red plastic jewel eyes and also a tiki key chain in Hawaii that I foolishly gave to my uncle.I wish I still had it! Also, when my sister went to Hawaii I asked her to bring me back a Tiki statue which she did. I recently bought five more mugs from Oceanic Arts which brings my total to 16 mugs. I have two wooden mugs that I bought 16 years ago that I include in this collection. I'll have to post a photo to see if anyone knows anything about them. Also, I just bought a small mug from an antique store but it has no markings but there are some on ebay that look like it. I also have a Tiki bottle opener made by Chiefly Co. that is located in Hawaii.

Pages: 1 21 replies