Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Big ol' mask. Opinions please!

Pages: 1 13 replies

I'm considering buying this 3.5' tall mask. It cracks me up.

All I know: the seller says the parents of an ex-roommate traveled and gave it to their son when he lived in California. Now this fellow owns it and wants to sell it. I don't even know the year.

I love how it's a mix of Disney/Ralph Steadman with PNG/"South Pacific" stage prop.

Anybody have any insight? Jump on it? Or am I hypnotized by the Steadman eyes and should run away very fast? I don't ordinarily let other people's opinions determine whether I should buy something that pleases me, but
1.) It's BIG and
2.) I'm trying to save money for a trip to Rapa Nui this summer. This will probably cost me around $175. Maybe not much $ for you, but I'm a very shrewd (read: cheap) buyer of my tiki!

Formihakini, on the fence

"Zazz captivates felt."

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2009-04-08 08:53 ]

BTW, I already have a taker lined up if I pass, so I'm not trying to sell this.
F

If it cracks you up, that's a good criterion! And your are right, very "South Pacific" prop. The only thing I don't like is that it looks so clean and new, the PNG airport art makers are usually ace in making their wares look aged, dusty and moldy, it's part and parcel of the style for me, to avoid the Cost Plus/World Market folk art look.
But 175.- is a good price for it. Go for it, AND go to Rapa Nui! :)

What in the heck is coming out of its mouth? An alligator? An armadillo? A Portuguese water dog?

I like it! It has character.

That's a crocodile tongue, used in Middle Sepic River sevi masks (and probably elsewhere).

Looks vaguely Exorcist, though, doesn't it.

My PNG art advisor sez:

" I dunno who made it, but I like it!"

haha! Handsome fellow!

I do like him (my mask). He's weird but he's great.
I'm gettin' it.

Now, where am I putting him?????????
:)

Personally, I say you should wear it, heh heh! If you do not have a good wall spot for it, it looks like it would fit nicely mounted on a door.

T

It's too late. I just bought it ought from under you. :P

Over the toilet - with a story on alligators living in sewers.

On 2009-03-31 13:57, TheBigT wrote:
:P back atcha!

You making it to Texas Tiki gathering this weekend, Big T?
I'd love to meet you, and what a COOL place (the Dallas Trader Vics) to do so!

BigBro: Great/Horrible idea! I will [not] do it!

I seriously am having to think where to put it, though. It means moving a bunch of good/real PNG stuff.

That ceiling is looking more and more tempting to cover with art. Of course, there's no room up there with all the netting, lights, flotsam and jetsom.

The floor?

Build a new wing!! Yessss!

Just as soon as I win that lottery/marry a rich man/gain a rich relative who dies and leaves me money...

T

On 2009-03-31 15:23, Formikahini wrote:

On 2009-03-31 13:57, TheBigT wrote:
:P back atcha!

You making it to Texas Tiki gathering this weekend, Big T?
I'd love to meet you, and what a COOL place (the Dallas Trader Vics) to do so!

I didn't know about the gathering. I believe I will be in Warrenton this weekend for the big antique show. Ya know, out near Round Top?

We have met. You just don't know my nick here. And I ain't tellin. Ask BigDaddy if he knows. :wink:

Got him!
He's in fact only 2'9", so he's much easier to squeeze in on my walls. Those are cowry shells lining the eyes and mouth, as I was hoping, and with the damage on the upper lip (missing shells), he came even cheaper. Definitely new (painted black on the back) - probably not much older than the ten years ago that he was bought. He's great! Grande Kahu and I went and got him when I went to Dallas for the Texas Tikiphile gathering this weekend.

Thanks for the good advice, Sven, Sven's PNG art advisor, and everyone else. :)

Go Denton, TX Craigslist!

Congratulations!

That's a great mask. I'd have bought it too.

Pages: 1 13 replies