Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

McVics!?!?

Pages: 1 23 replies

A

Did anyone else see this announcement? Holy moly....

McDonald’s Announces Partnership with Trader Vic’s for New Menu Items
Special Food Items Bring Fun, Tropical Flare to McDonald’s

BusinessWire

CHICAGO (March 31, 2009) – McDonald’s Corp. announced today a partnership with Trader Vic’s Restaurant Group in developing several new menu items for McDonald’s Restaurants.
Trader Vic’s is a pioneer in South Pacific-inspired cuisine, and the company’s chefs worked closely with McDonald’s staff to prepare four delicious creations. The new menu items will celebrate the spirit of the tropics in time for McDonald’s marketing plans this summer.
“We’re very excited by these special menu items that will provide our customers a fun dining experience with an island flavor,” said McDonald’s Chief Executive Officer Jim Skinner. “These new dining options demonstrate another way we connect with our customers in unique and entertaining ways.”
The four new menu items include:
• Kahuna Mac – A new take on the traditional Big Mac with two beef patties marinated in teriyaki sauce and a slice of pineapple in place of the traditional tomato.
• Asian Salad with Grilled Fish – Crisp greens and grilled mahi mahi topped with wonton strips and sesame dressing.
• Aloha Chicken McNuggets – Special seasoned McNuggets with a savory Hawaiian dipping sauce.
• Mai Tai Shake – Tropical fruit flavors highlight this creamy concoction.
In addition, customers ordering Happy Meals will have the option of choosing two new tropical-themed toys, including a colorful parrot and a bright blue dolphin.
The new menu items were test marketed in selected restaurants last year in Illinois, Florida and California, and are scheduled to debut nationwide in June.
About McDonald’s
McDonald's is the leading global foodservice retailer with more than 31,000 local restaurants in more than 100 countries. More than 75 percent of McDonald's restaurants worldwide are owned and operated by franchisees and affiliates. More information about the company is available at http://www.mcdonalds.com.
About Trader Vic’s
Trader Vic's Restaurant Group is a collection of restaurants that incorporates different cultures from around the world and is the only upscale group of restaurants operating worldwide. More information about the company is available at http://www.tradervics.com.

Are you sure that was posted yesterday? Or, perhaps, maybe, today? That, which being, is April 1st?

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 8:36 AM

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: croe67 2009-04-01 09:35 ]

I had the Kahuna Mac when I travelled through California last year. It was just "okay". I remember making a stupid "Pulp Fiction" joke about it that the cashier didn't understand...they just looked at me blankly.

The Mai Tai shake was good though. I realy hope they do this up in Canada too!

I think they shoulda done Poi fries and a "poor man's" version of the Bongo Bongo soup too.

T

Arriano,

You're my new hero.

Genius post.

Nice work indeed, any other day people might have bought it.

And yet not unprecedented in reality!:

On 2009-04-01 08:26, arriano wrote:
The new menu items were test marketed in selected restaurants last year in Illinois, Florida and California, and are scheduled to debut nationwide in June.

And since it was a Corporate-style market test of course they choose Orlando!

Butt-heads.

Hasn't anyone figured out there are way more people in South Florida than Orlando! And anyone willing to stop and fill out the survey is probably not from Orlando anyway....

Love 'Ya Central Florida Ohana!

I just hate the corporate view that the middle of the state somehow represents the whole thing.

On 2009-04-01 10:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice work indeed, any other day people might have bought it.

Any other day and you'd just be lying.

Tiki Central always has the best hoaxes, I liked Trader Woody's 2003 Mug Collector Beware

that is a good one, i'll admit i totally fell for it.

you had me for 5 seconds.
then I'm like wait a min.

I'll take a Navy Grog shake please.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P

I was really disappointed with the Mc Mai Tai. Orange Juice, Pineapple juice, Grenadine and Bacardi sealed in a little plastic carton. Nothing fresh squeezed, no lime and no orgeat.

And when did the Big Mac ever have a tomato slice on it?

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 3:20 PM

Today my kids Happy Meal had a Hula Nodder in it...

A

Apparently most of you are too suspicious to fool. Happy AFD.

"Would you like poi with that?"

T

On a more reality based McNote...McDonalds in Hawaii really DOES have Haupia Pies, and Taco Bell has Kalua Pork Quesadillas...

Yummy !

A

On 2009-04-01 17:02, tikiyaki wrote:
On a more reality based McNote...McDonalds in Hawaii really DOES have Haupia Pies, and Taco Bell has Kalua Pork Quesadillas...

Yummy !

Mickey D's Hawaii also offers Taro pie, McTeri Burger and on the breakfast menu spam and eggs and Saimin mmmm...McNutritious.

Hula vibes from Mickey D's!
I wonder if they will use tiki in their advertising?

Some say MD already has:
http://shop.alohaatheart.com/product.sc%3Bjsessionid=C49A24A821BBB6B4F9A322AC3B6DAF60.qscstrfrnt02?productId=304

I think this one may be true. Yesterday I took my kids to McDonalds and they both got talking Easter Island (Rapa Nui) Moai head toys with their Happy Meals.

Check out this link:
Happy Meal Moai Head

A

On 2009-05-26 07:31, captnkirk wrote:
I think this one may be true. Yesterday I took my kids to McDonalds and they both got talking Easter Island (Rapa Nui) Moai head toys with their Happy Meals.

Check out this link:
Happy Meal Moai Head

Life imitates art.

I, a 43 year man, ordered a Happy Meal the other day because the kid on the other end of the drive-thru radio said that it was indeed the Moai that was being given away that day. He lied. It was some other dumb thing from that dumb movie. Grrrrr.

I just went there and got a happy meal--(yes for myself :P) I hadn't even heard this but there was a Moai toy inside! Sweet!

You know your a tiki freak when you take a drive to a place you don't like, order a kidz meal you wont eat, and have a big smile on your face when the plastic Moai talks to you!!!

Priceless;)

the weird thing is I eat at McD's probably twice a year! What's the odds?!

H

Don't order a Happy Meal you won't eat just for the toy. Just buy the toy seperately and save a little money.

Pages: 1 23 replies