Name:KonTiki
Type:restaurant
Street:Untere Worthstrasse 10-14
City:Nurnberg
State:
Zip:90403
Phone:0911/221139

Description:
A tiki bar & restaurant with a front & back bar & an outdoor patio. Nicely decorated, with attention paid to both decor and cocktail presentation. Cocktail quality also quite good, with a number of original creations on the menu, as well as standards that would be expected for a tiki bar.

C
croe67 posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 5:00 AM

I know this one has been mentioned in other parts of TC, but I didn't find a thread in locating tiki, so thought I'd go ahead & add one to make it official & all :) Had a nice visit last week - here are some views of the place & their cocktails for your viewing pleasure.....

I wasn't able to get as many pictures as I usually would, as they were a bit touchy on picture taking, as it is all "protected", so I could only take "a few" pictures. It's some thatch, matting, bamboo, and lights, I'm not sure what's so "protected", but whatever. I suppose they were afraid I'd go build one like it across town or something? The manager did warm up to us a bit by the end of the night, however :wink:

C
croe67 posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 5:02 AM

I know this one has been mentioned in other parts of TC, but I didn't find a thread in locating tiki, so thought I'd go ahead & add one to make it official & all :) Had a nice visit last week - here are some views of the place & their cocktails for your viewing pleasure.....

I wasn't able to get as many pictures as I usually would, as they were a bit touchy on picture taking, as it is all "protected", so I could only take "a few" pictures. It's some thatch, matting, bamboo, and lights, I'm not sure what's so "protected", but whatever. I suppose they were afraid I'd go build one like it across town or something? The manager did warm up to us a bit by the end of the night, however :wink:

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 8:00 AM

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Glad to see pictures of this place, I had heard about it. Apparently it is one of the few original, pre-Tiki revival Polynesian places in Germany, it opened in 1978. Actually, Nuremberg being the cultural backwater it is in terms of pop culture (an all medieval historic "In Bruges" kinda place), they still have not been touched by the Tiki revival yet. But they know have to have fun anyway, those wild and crazy Germans, as one can see in some of their 30th anniversary photos I found on their website:

Apparently in Nuremberg Hula girls are not that easy to come by --but someone got ahold of a Brazilian dance troupe:

One cannot deny these ladies a certain EXOTIC charm, for sure...

...actually, they seem to integrate quite nicely into the environment...

...really the more I think about it, Brazilian dancers are PERFECT for Tiki Bars, yesss!

I mean, let's not be so pedantic about cultural correctness, folks!

I stopped by this place twice in March of 2009. (The same month as croe67 perhaps?)

This is a great place overall. The staff was very friendly with the bartender stopping by to make sure our drinks were up to snuff and both managers we encountered on different nights — one from South Africa and one from Italy — being very pleasant and informative. It has two bars, a tiki bar in the front of the establishment and a more traditional bar in the back which mirrors the decor which is Polynesian pop in the front and restrained nautical in the back. (Party in the front and business in the back? :)) There is a smaller third bar that wasn't staffed during my visits. You can see it in the photos.

The food here was excellent. I recommend it simply on that account. There is even a dedicated shabu shabu (a kind of Japanese hot pot) area with a person dedicated to serving the clientele sitting there.

The decor is quite thorough with all of the kinds of elements you'd hope for: tikis, thatch, tapa cloth, bamboo and a water feature. I had a slight pang when I realized the Bosko elements were knockoffs, but I guess that kind of thing happens. (Not sanctioning, just being a realist.) They didn't have much in the way of tiki drink serving vessels other than some older basic volcano bowls. (Otagiri if I remember right.) I gave them the web addresses and names of suppliers like Cheekytiki, Porcelanas Pavon, and TikiFarm since they expressed an interest in enhancing that aspect of the experience.

For some reason, unlike croe67, they didn't limit my photo taking and I went hog wild so enjoy the photo tour.

If you get a chance to drop by this place I highly recommend it.

• fm

(Also, this is not tiki related, but it you're in the area I recommend taking the train to Bamberg for a visit to the Schlenkerla brewery and ordering a Bamberg Onion along with a serving of their famous smoke beer. You can thank me later.)

View from across the river

Different angle at night

Why yes, I am dorky enough to bring my own drinking mug to Germany (or anywhere else in the world) with me.

Great photos, will definitely try to visit!

Jeez, now I gotta find an excuse to get to Nurnberg! When I was stationed in Bayreuth our Regimental HQ was in Nurnberg and it was also the nearest big PX compared to our little Cav outpost so I used to go there a lot. Damn! I wish I had been into tiki back then.

Pages: 1 7 replies