Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Amsterdam

Pages: 1 17 replies

I have a friend going to Amsterdam in a month and she was wondering what Tiki stuff (bars/restaurants) there is within Four Hours (train,bus, car) of Amsterdam. thanks

Sorry-I meant to put this in the main discussion area--

well there's trader vic's & south london pacific here in london.

there's also a tiki bar in belgium (if it's still open).

Nothing in Amsterdam, I'm afraid, (though there's plenty there to keep your friend occupied). Like Tiki Chris said, there's "The Tikis" in Belgium, but I doubt it's worth going too far out of the way for.
Trader Vic's in Munich might be the nearest 'quality' Tiki bar on mainland Europe.

I recommend heading towards the t'IJ brewery, located in an old windmill. Hours are very odd, but it's a memorable place and the beers are superb.

Trader Woody

T

I guess folks don't really go to Amsterdam for Tiki...lotta competion from, ah, other elements there.

Good grief, imagine a Zombie with a side of pot brownies...eurgh.

TC

there are tv's in these german cities:

Berlin, Germany
Hamburg, Germany
Munich, Germany

i think the berlin tv is brand spankin' new. when i was there (about a year ago) there was no vic's but there. however, there is the kahuna lounge.

see pics from kahuna lounge here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tikichris/lst?.dir=/GERMAN+TIKI&.view=t

the one in munich is excellent (as is munich even w/out the tiki).

read about munich tv here:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1198&forum=1

not sure if any of these places are w/in 4 hrs of amsterdam.

chris

T

From 'Let's Go' Amsterdam:

Bamboo Bar
Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 64 (624 39 93; Noir decorations, disco ball, and slick hardwood bar share space with tribal masks and tiki torches in a jungle motif that barely manages to feel classy as well as hokey. Beer (€2) or vast menu of cocktails (€4-7,50, most €6,30) includes the down-home Alabama Slamma' (€4,50) and killa Long Island Iced Tea (€7,20). Shooters like the "Slippery Nipple" €3,20. Open Su-Th 8pm-3am, F-Sa 8pm-4am. Cash only.

Pirates
Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 129 (639 05 23; http://www.cafepirates.nl). Hokey bar where the bartenders dress in pirate shirts and serve cheap drinks to the very young crowd. If you come on the right night (usually F-Sa), it can be fun to drink! drink! drink! (beer €2,20; shots €2,80) and dance to DJs spinning pop tunes. Many a drunken sailor has fallen prey to the demon rum here (the party rages pretty hard).Women drink for half-price on Th. Open W-Su 9pm-3am, Th-Sa 9pm-4am.

Mrsmiley if your friend is in amsterdamn for the 30th of april the city turns into a giant flea market.

Nice sleuth-work, Tikifish, but I wouldn't really recommend the Bamboo Bar to anyone but the most easily pleased Tikiphile. It's not really very Tiki, to be frank. The Pirate bar sounds a blast, though!

Amsterdam is chock full of great old bars, so my advice is to stick to the classic Dutch ones.

Tiki Farm mugs can be bought at a shop called 'Independent Outlet' if the need for Tiki gets too great.

Trader Woody

And don't forget the giant tiki in some kind of bar in the Amsterdam airport. It was mentioned by Sven on a thread ages ago; I saw the tiki myself (but I think I was still a lurker then and didn't pitch in on that thread). It is upstairs, overlooking a central walkway, and there is a money-changing booth underneath it. Never got a chance to run upstairs and check it out; the other teachers traveling with me didn't quite understand just why I wanted to make them wait any longer to get to our hotel and collapse after the trans-Atlantic flight!

Damn! Damn! Damn!

M

Thanks for the info--keep it comin'.
My friend is lightly into tiki, so any interesting place (she is no dumb bimbo) she would find fun is welcome. I know she wants to try to get me some European tiki mug and that is one reason why she wants the info--bruce

Bad news from Amsterdam. 'Independent Outlet' is no longer selling Tiki mugs. (Still a cool place, though). I also hunted for the Moai at Schipol airport to no avail. A new Grolsch beer hut may well have replaced it...

Trader Woody

T

I know I saw tikis when in Amsterdam several years ago. Purple polar bears, green monkeys and the like.

(hummed to the tune of Alice's Restaurant)
"You can see anything you want at an Amsterdam restaurant"

Gimme a Royal with Cheese!

Trustar

R

On 2003-04-01 08:13, Trader Woody wrote:
Nice sleuth-work, Tikifish, but I wouldn't really recommend the Bamboo Bar to anyone but the most easily pleased Tikiphile. It's not really very Tiki, to be frank. The Pirate bar sounds a blast, though!

Amsterdam is chock full of great old bars, so my advice is to stick to the classic Dutch ones.

Tiki Farm mugs can be bought at a shop called 'Independent Outlet' if the need for Tiki gets too great.

Trader Woody

Yes I have to agree the Bamboo Bar is not what you are looking for and in my 4 years living in A'damn and working in and running B&Gs I don't recall any real Tiki at all. I guess they have Indonesia to go tropo over :wink: I also agree with Woody about the 'Brownie' bars (called that due to their dark wood interiors enhanced by hundereds of years of tobacco smoke) are the cooler places to hang out unless you like Euro-trash acid/house/disco blasting at you. Dig around the Jordan, and the red light (de Wallajes) area also has many cool pubs.........or you could just get really stoned at the Bulldog and forget where you are :wink:

Meanwhile I am in Phnom Penh and there may not be the Tiki of the Philippines but I'm loving the Hindu inspired temples with the 7 headed cobra nagas!

On 2003-07-29 09:18, Trader Woody wrote:
I also hunted for the Moai at Schipol airport to no avail. A new Grolsch beer hut may well have replaced it...

The Schiphol Moai are alive and well and living in the Sandwich Island Restaurant on the upper deck of Lounge 3, right across from the very cool Restaurant in de Bonte Koe, which is designed like a 17th-century sailing ship. Here's a couple of photos I snapped last weekend while passing through on my way to Kuala Lumpur:

S

There is a Tiki-bar in Rotterdam, which is about 50 kilometers from Amsterdam.
There was one in Belgium (another 100 kilometers down south) but it's closed now.

C

I can recommend the Tropocal Museum in Amsterdam:
lots of anthropolical exhibits from around the world, including Polynesia. It used to be a showcase for the former Dutch Empire until about 20 years ago, when it received a modern PC facelift,
but a disproportionate number of the exhibits are still from Indonesia and other former Dutch colonies.
I remember a bar/restaurant across the road from it with old bamboo fittings and palms, which seemed to have been designed to echo the theme of the museum.
There are also some interesting 'exotic' still-life paintings in the Reichsmuseum, with exuberant arrangements of tropical fruit, flowers, shells and birds, again probably reflections of products from the Dutch Empire.

CHRIS

On 2003-07-29 09:18, Trader Woody wrote:
Bad news from Amsterdam. 'Independent Outlet' is no longer selling Tiki mugs. (Still a cool place, though). I also hunted for the Moai at Schipol airport to no avail. A new Grolsch beer hut may well have replaced it...

Trader Woody

I just shipped Mireille (Independent Outlet owner) about 50 mugs in late September. They shipped via Ocean so they'll probably be arrriving any time.

Pages: 1 17 replies