Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in Second Life?

Pages: 1 6 replies

A friend of mine was asking if there was any there. Does anyone know?

H

I used to frequent "There" (pre Second Life) and there were a number of islands with Tikis and thatch huts. Pretty cool place and fun to explore while on flying hover boards. I've never looked at Second Life but have heard that they have their own online Burning Man festival, so chances are good for Tiki in some form somewhere.

C

Someone did send me a message from "Tiki Island" on Second Life last year. I find RL keeps me busy enough!

Chris

My friend Moritz R., the artist who painted the cover for the Book of Tiki, has created an elaborate Tiki-scape with A-frame architecture, Witco furniture and all kinds of tricked-out environments on Second Life...but don't ask me how to find it, I have no knowledge about Second Life, I am busy with my first.

Don't know if this is still interesting, but of course there is Tiki in Second Life. Lots of. You could say, in Second Life Tiki is bigger than in real life, it's a mainstream style in numerous of the tens of thousands of the sims that you can visit inworld. You can get anything from houses, furniture, tikis, cocktail bars to clothes, gadgets and a sun tan. Whenever there's a beach in Second Life - and there are MANY beaches - there will be a bamboo bar at the least. In many cases it is also equipped with explicit tiki design. You can buy whatever you want from talented designers, but even better it is to create Tiki stuff yourself in Second Life. The great thing about it, it doesn't cost anything, or very little, depending on your needs, and you not only have the most incredible creative tools and results, but you also have the beach to display it properly and actually spend time in it. The objects in Second Life are threedimensional and you can walk around in them and you can meet people who share the experience with you. You are not limited to any prefabs the provider gives to you, you can upload any textures you want to use with your objects yourself.

Why is Tiki predestined for a second life in a virtual world? Well, most of all, because it is highly virtual in itself from the beginning. The entire concept of Tiki is creating an artificial paradise, a, yes, you have to admit this, a virtual world. For anybody who is artistically interested in this, for anybody who likes to create and experience phantastic art, Second Life is a dream playground, a prime recommendation. Don't listen to people, who claim, their first life is keeping them busy enough to go into the virtual experience. Second Life is a first life, real life experience. It's just so much more creative in the possibilities you have to go beyond the frontiers of the physical world. But who cares? You can even have a real cocktail going along with the virtual one, that your avatar is drinking inworld Second Life. You can listen to music, meet friends, dance and chat. It's just a choice, HOW to spend your life, not wether it is in a bamboo virtual environment or in a digital one with bamboo textures.

Der PlanMoritz R®FlickR®

[ Edited by: professortiki 2010-02-10 08:59 ]

I tried to save my Tiki after life by having it dedicated as a historical landmark, but they shut it down (defunct) before I had enough signatures.

Some Tikis found in the Second Life marketplace:

Some amazing houses available in the marketplace:

Tangaroa House:

Kuau Surf Shack:

Hookipa Pool House:

Hanalei House:

Polihale House:

Honolua House:

!!!

I still haven't ventured into Second Life but after seeing some of these houses I'm getting tempted to explore. Most of the houses were from this seller's store: Tiki Tattoo
Much more in there to check out.

Oh! and then we can't forget about Kreepy Tiki's basement grotto in Second Life.

Pages: 1 6 replies