Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Kauai Question: Best place to view sunset over water?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I know the sun sets in the west, but when I was at Turtle Bay on Oahu's North Shore, the sun set over the water there. I know it does not set over the water in Waikiki.

What about the East coast of Kauai, by Kapa'a?
Or would I need to head up to Princeville in the North, or Poipu in the South - my preference so I can check out Tiki at the Hyatt!

Manhalo.

H

Hi there. We saw beautiful sunsets in Poipu, particularly if you go down to the Spouting Horn blowhole just before sunset. The sun sets off to the right, opposite the blowhole, and not only do you see the sunset itself, but the light on the mist from the blowhole can be quite beautiful.

I frankly don't think you'll see much of anything at Kapa'a. Other bets might be over by Waimea in the southwest, where the sun would set over or nearly over the island of Ni'ihau. You might see something in Princeville - I can't be sure, as we were mostly in the south except for a day trip up to Hanalei.

Enjoy!

Good Advice, Mahalo!

I guess the Hyatt Tikis for dinner it is!

H

You're welcome!

If you should find yourself in Poipu after sunset, a nice way to end the day is dinner at Plantation Gardens down the road at the Kiahuna Plantation. Kinda spendy, and reservations are a must, but it was some of the best food I've eaten in Hawaii. Really fantastic, and set in an orchid garden. Just a thought...!

[ Edited by: hibiscus 2009-04-14 19:52 ]

H

A great place to watch the sunset is at the Sheraton in Poipu. Walk in the front and head straight back to the outdoor cafe/lounge. Beautiful view and bring your camera. Some of the best sunset pictures I have ever taken. Or have a sunset dinner at the Beach House in Poipu just west of the Sheraton. Make a reservation for a window table or outside before you go. It gets crowded aroud sunset. Even better, drive a little further west passed spouting horn. Park on the road and there is a small trail that leads to the edge. Great view!

Aloha, christiki295...

I too would recommend Kauai sunset viewing from Poipu to Kekaha for the most ooh's and ahh's.

BTW, if it's The Green Flash you seek -- the (arguably) best place to hope for one (the western most publicly accessible area in the United States) -- Polihale Beach -- is currently closed due to access road bridge damage! :(

Many Hawaiian vacations later, I've yet to see one -- so they are elusive. Good luck in your quest if you look for one.

...Oh, and if you don't see a real one, you can always make your own in a Tom Collins glass. :D

° Best YouTube of an actual GF from a boat off Honolulu.

° Excellent photographs of a Kauai GF and extremely rare Blue Flash?!

My dad caught a green flash in a pic,
on the West Coast of Kauai.
very cool.

didn't know about the Blue flash,
thanks for that lesson.

I don't know if the renovation is done but the Princeville hotel bar on the right side has a spectacular. I have been going to Kauai all my 42 years and have never stayed there. But the bar looks over the beach from high up and the sunset gets so intense that the windows are heavily tinted and shades are lowered a little. Great view.

Okay that is the best viewing, but my very favorite sunset is getting the take out dinner from the Hanamaulu Restaurant and taking it out to the beach. It has the best ginger fried chicken, just gourmet. The restaurant is wonderful and should be visited (ask to sit in the tea garden) but my grandpa used to get the take out dinner and go to the beach with us near sunset. A perfect experience.

I hope you love Kauai as much as me.

So here's the sunset from the Sheraton in Poipu.

[ Edited by: huhutiki 2009-04-22 10:39 ]

[ Edited by: huhutiki 2009-04-22 10:51 ]

What a photo!

Hanalei Pier is great. Can't recommend it enough. Also, you can walk from here to Tahiti Nui, and have the best Mai Tai on the island.

On 2009-05-02 08:04, Scamboogah wrote:
Hanalei Pier is great. Can't recommend it enough. Also, you can walk from here to Tahiti Nui, and have the best Mai Tai on the island.

Probably the best on all the islands if you ask me. My brother (Bongofury) and I were stuck in there for hours during a downpour. What a place!!!!!
http://thenui.com/

Then there's the ultimate sin across the street. Wife wasn't happy I stumbled in there. A PNG paradise! I did manage to buy 1 piece & ship it home.

http://havaikiart.com/

Does the sun set over the water over the coconut coast?

Pages: 1 12 replies