Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

New Les Baxter Release!

Pages: 1 28 replies

Already sold out after only six hours. Unbelievable. Glad I ordered one!

Damn!!!!!!!!!! :(

Makes you wonder why more Les Baxter isn't released doesn't it?

Oh, well. :(

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff, I NEVER check that website, and I just happened to click on it at the right moment! Maybe we'll finally get the Poe scores one of these days!

N

On 2009-04-14 12:18, Jeff Central wrote:
Damn!!!!!!!!!! :(

Makes you wonder why more Les Baxter isn't released doesn't it?

Oh, well. :(

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Not sure if this is allowed, but here's a Rapidshare link to the files that had links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/221476947/Les_Baxter.zip.html

how about this one....

Les Baxters Space Escapade re released through http://www.moviegrooves.com

PLEASE NOTE:
This title is expected in stock late-April and is currently only available for Pre-order. Orders containing pre-ordered items are not shipped until all items are in stock. If you wish to receive other items sooner than this one, we recommend placing a separate order.

PRE-ORDERING
DUE LATE-APRIL Pre-order your copy now - due Late-April

Space Escapade

Les Baxter

Les Baxter's Space Escapade (not re-issued since it's original release in 1958) is the holy grail to Baxterites and students of the Exotica genre; showcasing all of the eclecticism and sensual orchestral effects that are Baxter's remarkable trademark. This historic restoration of Space Escapade is complimented by an attractive special feature; a programme of extremely rare Les Baxter single A & B sides from the fifties; sweet and subtle gems never before re-issued in any context and present here on CD for the first time.
The Founding-Father of Exotica, Les Baxter's wild inventiveness has made him a hero to modern artists as diverse as Jello Biafra and Beck. Exotica became a hugely popular trend from the early fifties; with the onset of international jet travel, making it possible for middle-class Americans to simulate an authentic travelogue experience in the comfort of their suburban homes, "The Music of Les Baxter is never sad of gloomy ­ it is full of the adventure of life, the sounds of exotic lands and the free spirit of life close to nature".

Packaging & Liner Notes
Standard jewel case.

Track Listing

1. Space Escapade Shooting Star
    Les Baxter

2. Moonscape
    Les Baxter

3. Mr. Robot
    Les Baxter

4. The City
    Les Baxter

5. A Distant Star
    Les Baxter

6. The Commuter
    Les Baxter

7. Winds Of Sirius
    Les Baxter

8. The Other Side Of The Moon
    Les Baxter

9. Somewhere In Space (A Look Back At Earth)
    Les Baxter

10. Earth Light
    Les Baxter

11. The Lady Is Blue
    Les Baxter

12. Saturday Night On Saturn
    Les Baxter

Rare Les Baxter Single A & B Sides

1. Cornflakes
    Les Baxter

2. Havana
    Les Baxter

3. The Trouble With Harry
    Les Baxter

4. Sinner Man
    Les Baxter

5. The Left Arm Of Buddha
    Les Baxter

6. Melodia Loca (The Chilean Crazy Song)
    Les Baxter

7. The Clown On The Eiffel Tower
    Les Baxter

8. Designing Woman
    Les Baxter

9. Venezuela
    Les Baxter

10. Ricordate Marcellino
    Les Baxter

11. La Panse (The Little Flower)
    Les Baxter

12. Love Song From "Houseboat"
    Les Baxter

On 2009-04-15 04:32, OnyaBirri wrote:
Master of the World is already on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASTER-OF-THE-WORLD-GOLIATH-AND-THE-BARBARIANS-2CD-NEW_W0QQitemZ370187702910QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item370187702910&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Holy Crap, it's already at $152!!!!!! How much did you pay Drew?

Thanks nkash001 for the rapidshare link. It looks like a 9 track sampler of different tracks from the 2-CD set. I's only 19 minutes in length. Nice teaser though, thanks!!

That's great news on the Space Escapade too Koop! Too bad they didn't release both the mono and the stereo versions of this album on one CD. They are TOTALLY different!!!

Thanks everyone for all the great news on the Baxter front!!!!! :)

Look for my Les Baxter article in the next issue of Tiki Magazine. :D

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

P.S. Oh, I just posted some Baxter imports pics over at the Euro Exotica thread!!

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-04-15 10:44 ]

[ Edited by: jeff central 2009-04-15 11:24 ]

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-04-15 11:25 ]

Jeff, I bought it for the retail price of $24.95, maybe an hour or two before it sold out.

I have both of these on vinyl, but I wanted to buy the CD to show support for a Les Baxter film score finally being released (I know we have Black Sunday/Baron Blood and Cry of the Banshee).

Hopefully, we'll get X and the Poe scores. The masters for Dunwich are supposedly lost.

On 2009-04-15 17:11, OnyaBirri wrote:
Jeff, I bought it for the retail price of $24.95, maybe an hour or two before it sold out.

I have both of these on vinyl, but I wanted to buy the CD to show support for a Les Baxter film score finally being released (I know we have Black Sunday/Baron Blood and Cry of the Banshee).

Hopefully, we'll get X and the Poe scores. The masters for Dunwich are supposedly lost.

Damn, what a deal. I have these on vinyl too but I like having it on CD to compare plus you get bonus tracks too!!

Keep an eye on eBay because this guy pops up once in awhile......

These recordings I believe came from the Hall Daniels collection that was sold on eBay about 8 years ago. The sound quality is really good and is diffferent than the album release. Lots of cues both used and unused.

The same guys (I think) also sold the cues and music from The Beast Within, another favorite of mine!

The Poe scores would be sweeeet!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-04-16 05:11 ]

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-04-16 05:12 ]

"Master Of The World" was the first Les Baxter score I ever owned, got it on vinyl when I was around 14 or 15, and it's still one of my favorite soundtracks. Here's an edit/re-sequence I did of it years ago which plays best for me:

01-Master Of The World (03) - The Albatross - Les Baxter
02-Master Of The World (05) - Over the Rocks - Les Baxter
03-Master Of The World (08) - Philadelphia - Les Baxter
04-Master Of The World (02) - Topage - Les Baxter
05-Master Of The World (09) - Drifting Clouds - Les Baxter
06-Master Of The World (10) - The Conquerors - Les Baxter
07-Master Of The World (12) - Finale - Les Baxter

The re-sequence numbers are on the left, and the original track numbers precede each track's title (these numbers correspond to the vinyl LP release -- I'm not sure about the CD, and at the auction prices noted here I'm not likely to see it anytime soon).

Much as I enjoy and admire Mr. Baxter's work, and believe me I do, I personally find the original score's "Overture" (01) rather prematurely harsh, while "The Albatross" (03), while immediately striking a bold french horn MOTW motif, is a more pleasing introduction into the following cues. "The Balloon Waltz" and "The Flight Concerto" from the original soundtrack are also, to me, a tad too gooey, and pull down the otherwise heroic tone of the score, and so I chose not to include them; likewise "Mediterranean", which ties the piece down to a particular region. Far better, and much more enjoyable, is Baxter's very clever and delightful "Topage" (02), which I held back in the sequence so its whimsical character would pivot the re-sequence and center its international flavor.

Anyway, no disrespect at all is meant toward Mr. Baxter. For me this re-sequence has made "Master Of The World" more accessible for regular listening, rather than something that I would only pull off the shelf between long intervals, or pick the odd track out of for some custom soundtrack anthology. This way it's a suite, dedicated to the spirit of the film, and I think agreeably showcases Baxter's timelessly heroic and romantic composition.

Mucho mahalos to OB, JC, & KK, for this heads-up about a great (if already sold-out :( ) Les Baxter CD release!

My copy arrived and I just hit the play button!

The liner notes state that the tapes used for the CD were the ones used for the 1970s Varese issues of the albums, as opposed to the masters for the VJ and AIP albums. Apparently, they are not sure about the sources of these Varese tapes.

I'll have to try recording with that new sequence Son-of-Kelbo. I'm sure it will make more sense upon listening. I've been secretly working on the Bride and the Beast soundtracks and making it flow like a suite is definitely the goal.

Hark It Records re-sequenced the Don Ralke album The Savage and Sensuous Bongos" and it sounds so much better. The sound quality blows away the Collectors Choice reissue too!!

On 2009-04-16 15:51, OnyaBirri wrote:
My copy arrived and I just hit the play button!

The liner notes state that the tapes used for the CD were the ones used for the 1970s Varese issues of the albums, as opposed to the masters for the VJ and AIP albums. Apparently, they are not sure about the sources of these Varese tapes.

Interesting.

Are the tracks in stereo? Do they sound re-mastered/dynamic? How about the bonus tracks?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-04-16 17:25 ]

I listened to the bonus tracks first - They sounded fine, not the best thing I've ever heard, but by no means archival. They are stereo tracks from the film.

The album portion is on now. Both the Master and Barbarian album are in stereo, mastered from the tapes given to Varese in the 70s (unclear on the source). I need to listen closer, but with dinner and the cat screaming and the washing machine running, they sound fine. :wink:

I'll get back to you with more detail on the sound. If it's mastered from vinyl, the last track on each side will provide the dead giveaway (inner groove distortion). But mastering from clean vinyl is better than mastering from trashed tape.

The liner notes say, curiously, that in the MGM vaults there were quarter inch tapes with mono mixes of the LP content, but they don't specify whether they were from vinyl for master sources. The CDs are definitely stereo, but I'll let you know about the source when I spend some quality time with headphones.

Great, thanks Onyabirri!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2009-04-16 17:22, Jeff Central wrote:
I'll have to try recording with that new sequence Son-of-Kelbo. I'm sure it will make more sense upon listening. I've been secretly working on the Bride and the Beast soundtracks and making it flow like a suite is definitely the goal.

I hope it sounds good to you, JC. I'll look forward to hearing about your "B & B" soundtracks project.

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-04-23 08:31 ]

Here's another "new" release.

It's mostly comprised of all his hits/singles and b-sides. 60 tracks on 2 CD's isn't a bad deal for $16.

If you are looking for Exotica though look elsewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Les-Baxter-Thinking-Of-You-JASCD-672_W0QQitemZ350191195175QQihZ022QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-04-17 17:17 ]

S

Has anyone heard the new "Space Escapade" CD? I know it has a lot of extra tracks, but I'm wondering how the sound is. Just listened to my LP and it's sound is really good. Just wondering if I should trade it in or keep it as a back up.

On 2009-04-26 19:43, spy-tiki wrote:
Has anyone heard the new "Space Escapade" CD? I know it has a lot of extra tracks, but I'm wondering how the sound is. Just listened to my LP and it's sound is really good. Just wondering if I should trade it in or keep it as a back up.

DO NOT get rid of ANY of your vinyl.

A lot of times the CD's that have been coming out are actually mastered from vinyl (especially imports) and the quality is not as good as the record.

Plus, analog sounds better!!!

Not only that, there are distinct differences between the mono and stereo copies of Space Escapade!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

can't wait for mine,just waiting for it to arrive..takes a while to get to Sydney

S
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.